• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

IPS Biennial Pretour Maui!

Cindy Adair

Registration is now open for the small group travel to Maui prior to the main Biennial! 

Don’t wait to decide because the group size is limited to just 25 attendees. Correction:28.

The price includes the cost of the flight (Maui to Oahu) to join the larger Biennial group.

https://palms.org/2022-biennial-tour/2022-biennial-itinerary/#

I know some of us are arriving into LAX the night before the pretour and staying over at one of the many hotels with free shuttles.

It could be fun to pick the same LAX hotel, so private message me if you are interested, as I have not made that hotel reservation yet.

Then my roommate and I will catch a nonstop flight directly into Maui the next morning.

On the return trip from the Big Island I found an option to (hopefully) sleep on the plane and end up back in PR the next day without a return hotel stay. 

I found that flying into LAX/HI midweek instead of closer to the weekend for the start of the regular Biennial was much cheaper, so something to consider.

I am certainly no travel agent, but have learned that time spent exploring (beyond Google Flights options) can be money saving. So if you see flight price sticker shock try another airline/route.

I also decided life is short and I have never been to Maui, much less the gardens to see and friendships to make and reconnect so now is the time. 

I only regret the travel I did not take (and the plants I did not buy). 

Hope to see you there!

Please add any Maui photos (whether of palms or not) as we have free time to plan too.

Cindy Adair

I have only been to the Maui airport for a connecting flight,  but I really like the modern sculpture in the interior courtyard,  "Maui releasing the Sun". 

No more Hawaii trips for me, have a great time ! 

https://locate.publicartarchive.org/art/Maui-Releasing-the-Sun?ib=ext

San Francisco, California

Thanks Darold.

Wish you could join us, but I will definitely look out for the sculpture and try to grab a photo to post!

Cindy Adair

Hi Cindy,

My sister in law just booked a flight to Maui from California because she said that there was a flight sale.  I checked the web and it looks like the fares between Hawaii and California are at half the usual price.  California is a great hub.  Here is Hawaiian Airlines Sale $198 round trip from LAX to Kahului, others leave from San Francsico, San Jose, Ontario, Long Beach, and San Diego.  It's limited time offer but the biennial falls within the time period!

The pre-tour has lunch at my place, we have a lychee orchard that is going off right now.  Nothing like my friend Felix's family has near Puerto Vallarta.  Miss you!!

Lychee2022.jpeg

• Like 2

Wow doesn’t begin to cover it Mary!
This tree rarely fruits in western PR apparently. 

And your flight sale information might help inspire someone to sign up now.

Thanks!

Cindy Adair

What, no more Hawaii trips?  Say it's not so.  Besides, dude, I heard party at Hurwitz's!  

Oops, and I forgot to mention the limit on the Maui Pre-tour is 28.

You will see some nice palms at Jerry Welch's garden.  We were lucky to see his Lemurophoenix just after it's leaf fell off.  I didn't doctor this photo.

LemurophoenixWelchGarden.thumb.jpeg.de12f73cce85c3511ea2a0e437696272.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, MaryLock said:

Oops, and I forgot to mention the limit on the Maui Pre-tour is 28.

You will see some nice palms at Jerry Welch's garden.  We were lucky to see his Lemurophoenix just after it's leaf fell off.  I didn't doctor this photo.

LemurophoenixWelchGarden.thumb.jpeg.de12f73cce85c3511ea2a0e437696272.jpeg

That’s one sexy tree!

• 5 weeks later...

Good Lord,just look at that Lemurophoenix.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2022 at 4:58 AM, Mandrew968 said:

Pretour is all sold out!

Ooops.  I was just about to check on the pricing for pre-tour Single occupancy.  I found it for the biennial but never found it for the pre- tour.  Sounds like you all will have some amazing photos and experiences to share afterwards.