IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coconut palms

Plantking165

I've completed my transplanting process. I put cow manure as a top dress around tbe big guy and put the small 3 gal into a 7 gal. Although when transplanting the 3g the coconut just fell off and It was leaning previously so it exposed the roots right at the top aswell as the base under the soil so I had to mound up a bit of soil to cover that up. More soil sits on the base back side because it's leaning so mounding soil on this palms front side should be fine till it goes into the ground next year? It's only because the roots and base would be really exposed otherwise. Also feel free to show off some pics of your coconut palms too I'd love to see. I'm in zone 9b and my 2 varieties are fiji dwarf and red spicata.20220609_081149.thumb.jpg.9e4268ffb7f47584c1f8fc2deb7912ac.jpg

Screenshot_20220609-080649_Gallery.jpg

20220609_081129.jpg

20220609_081054.jpg

20220609_080930.jpg

20220609_080938.jpg

20220609_081034.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, but good luck in 9B.  I can barely grow them in the ground in my Zone 10A Climate, but that's because it is a cool to slightly mild Zone 10A in the winter, with a couple of light to moderate frosts each winter, and a light freeze on average about once every 2 to 3 years, and cool daytime highs from mid December to mid February.

John

16 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Nice, but good luck in 9B.  I can barely grow them in the ground in my Zone 10A Climate, but that's because it is a cool to slightly mild Zone 10A in the winter, with a couple of light to moderate frosts each winter, and a light freeze on average about once every 2 to 3 years, and cool daytime highs from mid December to mid February.

John

I think the freezes are the least of my concerns unfortunately there is some serious blight issue with these palms and its moved to the new fronds and opening fronds too witch Is bad. Coming back from winter with severe diseases affecting it is a deadly combo...I do not forsee it surviving winter much less recovery from this disease to any point. It's in the crown. Fungicide control isn't really an option as it's larger so im screwed from the start but ill give it my best shot. I'll update my palms here on this thread if anyone wants to see what happens t8 these and if they survive winter etc. Follow this thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RedRabbit said:

What’s your elevation there? 

Not sure I assume it's higher than most of Florida considering bok tower isn't that far from us.

1 minute ago, Plantking165 said:

Not sure I assume it's higher than most of Florida considering bok tower isn't that far from us.

Yeah, I’m wondering if you’re high enough to be 10a actually.

• Like 2

Westchase | 9b 10a  ◆  Nokomis | 10a  ◆  St. Petersburg | 10a 10b 

Just now, RedRabbit said:

Yeah, I’m wondering if you’re high enough to be 10a actually.

Might be close I consider it 9b we get occasional freezes not for long tho 

• Like 1

Man that red spicata has a great coloring to it! I think I need one of those.  

I have 2 coconuts so far. 

One, a Home Depot special, I assume green dwarf malayan. Purchased during a moment of weakness because I thought it might give me some instant gratification and it actually kind of worked. 

E6E6EC20-EE3A-4521-9908-FED838CD3D9E.thumb.jpeg.2048bb241fd38a40ac825d4f6e405757.jpeg

Two, this restaurant parking lot coconut, not sure what kind but it sprouted about a month ago. 
E4F29BD8-366A-44B9-BBC5-307B6D208D74.thumb.jpeg.9fe0dbedd03298fac27e9ac9fc656581.jpeg

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, D. Morrowii said:

One, a Home Depot special, I assume green dwarf malayan. Purchased during a moment of weakness because I thought it might give me some instant gratification and it actually kind of worked. 

E6E6EC20-EE3A-4521-9908-FED838CD3D9E.thumb.jpeg.2048bb241fd38a40ac825d4f6e405757.jpeg

Two, this restaurant parking lot coconut, not sure what kind but it sprouted about a month ago. 
E4F29BD8-366A-44B9-BBC5-307B6D208D74.thumb.jpeg.9fe0dbedd03298fac27e9ac9fc656581.jpeg

Very nice where are you located? You can follow this thread for updates ill keep this updated on my coconuts. Unfortunately that instant gratification wore off as I'm unsure how these will survive with this deadly disease issues killing off fronds so quickly check out how bad it is both of these coconuts will struggle for life im going to try my best to get these things to fruit in a few years hopefully.

20220620_162724.jpg

20220620_162709.jpg

20220620_162652.jpg

Screenshot_20220620-162308_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220614-213828_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

@Plantking165 I’m in Merritt Island Fl. 

Yeah not sure what that could be but I’m still pretty new to this. Good luck with your palms though, you never know they might settle in and be fine. 

• Like 1

So your further up than I am but your also on the coast so you still have more chance than I do. Good luck keep us updated on how they turn out.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, D. Morrowii said:

What was the price on the Home Depot Coconut?  Nice sized nut on the sprout.  Can you get a pic or two of the parent tree?

John

9 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

What was the price on the Home Depot Coconut?  Nice sized nut on the sprout.  Can you get a pic or two of the parent tree?

John

The HD coconut was $24.99 and see attached.

1CE57B7D-0AD5-4615-9C35-CB3FDD5B2145.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, D. Morrowii said:

The HD coconut was $24.99 and see attached.

1CE57B7D-0AD5-4615-9C35-CB3FDD5B2145.jpeg

Nice looking Coconut Palms.  I am jealous, they can be grown so well over there.

John

• Like 1

I’ve had some limited success growing them in a warm 9B part of Florida. I think with strategic placement to block north winds with lots of winter sun these have a chance here between historic freezes. 

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

This little Home Depot special sailed through this past winter with no problem which saw a lot of palms take a lot of damage in central Florida. It is planted in terrible builders clay too lol. That being said, if it’s roots can make it down a couple of feet it will be in sugar sand.

4A440764-1878-4C33-B971-877AEE2C9266.jpeg

• Like 2

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

1 minute ago, ruskinPalms said:

This little Home Depot special sailed through this past winter with no problem which saw a lot of palms take a lot of damage in central Florida. It is planted in terrible builders clay too lol. That being said, if it’s roots can make it down a couple of feet it will be in sugar sand.

4A440764-1878-4C33-B971-877AEE2C9266.jpeg

Looking nice, I'm hoping mine will pickup growth speed almost been in the ground for a month its being super slow I don't blame it tho it's hot and the blight issues are just dragging it down but I still have hope for it.

I'm in 10A SW FL: Roystonea, Cocos, & Adonidia around here all got hit by the 1-31-22 frost.  My coconuts are planted under tall evergreen canopy (trees & hardy palms) and didn't have any damage.  That'll work for the warmer parts of 9B too.  Out in the open in FL, coconuts are only going to be permanent in 10B, more due to frost than outright cold.  In fact, that's how I tell 10B: Tall, fruiting coconuts that have been in the ground for a few decades.  They've probably been tried all over the state for the last 100 years, people love them, and if you don't have big ones in your area, you're not likely to be in 10B.  

I've only seen Home Depot/Lowes sell Malayans around here, almost always the green form.  Did find a yellow Malayan once.  Also found a few gold Malayans, but they've reverted to green as they've grown.  

• Like 1