IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My MB Sylvester - The Story Continues

DAVEinMB

Pretty stoked today, finally got the P. Sylvestris in its new home. It put up a bit of a fight coming out of the planter but not too too bad. The root system continued a good ways below the planter so it basically had to be yanked out. 

2 questions....

Do you guys think I should fertilize it this season or let it be? 

Should I be concerned about the roots it lost?

20220606_120026.jpg

20220606_120124.jpg

20220606_120022.jpg

20220606_120736.jpg

20220606_122938.jpg

20220606_125140.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

It looks like you got a pretty good root ball, I bet it will be just fine.

I have no experience with those Phoenix or your climate so l'd probably listen to others advice, but I would think in a month or so it would be ok to start with mild fertilizer, like seaweed or fish.  Maybe top dress with some chicken manure.

• Like 2

That's pretty clever.. I think you just invented a way one could grow palms if they're not planning on staying or moving into a new pad.. just grow them in a 36" box.. ready when you're ready!  Looks good in its new spot. I wouldn't worry too much..thats a huge rootball.root ball..

Are you going to replant in the planter?

• Like 2

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

14 hours ago, SailorBold said:

That's pretty clever.. I think you just invented a way one could grow palms if they're not planning on staying or moving into a new pad.. just grow them in a 36" box.. ready when you're ready!  Looks good in its new spot. I wouldn't worry too much..thats a huge rootball.root ball..

Are you going to replant in the planter?

Honestly, I never thought of that but it's definitely an interesting idea....hmmmmm haha. Yea I'm curious to see how many roots are left behind once I clean up the area where it was. The guys that moved it were amazed that the planter was ultimately all roots. Thanks! I'm hoping it's as happy there as it was in the planter. The soil couldn't drain better so I won't have to worry about it ever having wet feet. 

I'm not sure how soon it's going to happen but I'm going to reconfigure that entire area. The plan is to build one large planter out of concrete that will replace the 2 planters where the mules are as well as the area where the Sylvester was. I don't want to plant anything that's going to get real tall near the mules. With the Sylvester moved the mules can be the focal point of that area

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, teddytn said:

@DAVEinMB was waiting to see how that turned out, roots went down deep!!! Looks like a success

That thing was so well rooted that it started picking the skid steer off the ground during the initial few tugs. They ended up having to rock it back and forth to loosen it up enough to get it to let go. Beast for how relatively small it is

• Like 1

Last night I cleaned up the rest of the old/damaged foliage so I can better monitor how well it's growing following the transplant. I gotta say, I hope the move doesn't set it back too much because this thing wasted no time recovering from this past winter's ice storm

My yard is pretty cluttered at the moment, try to focus on the tree :P

20220610_021255.jpg

20220610_021159.jpg

• Like 3

Looks great. Sylvestris is my favorite Phoenix. They make bodaciously elegant landscape palms here in Cape Coral - so much better than CIDPs, which are desert palms better adapted to dry heat. But people still plant CIDPs and almost all are fungal ridden & wretched.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

34 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

Looks great. Sylvestris is my favorite Phoenix. They make bodaciously elegant landscape palms here in Cape Coral - so much better than CIDPs, which are desert palms better adapted to dry heat. But people still plant CIDPs and almost all are fungal ridden & wretched.

Thanks! The people that moved it were surprised it handled the ice storm so well. Hopefully it's not too beat up from the move and I can get past my panic about losing it stage haha

• 2 weeks later...

If you use chicken manure make sure it’s composted as it can burn or could spread harmful pathogens. Fish emulsions (4-1-1) or rabbit manure (about a 2-1-1) is fine, what I use on new plantings.

On 6/6/2022 at 12:29 PM, DAVEinMB said:

Pretty stoked today, finally got the P. Sylvestris in its new home. It put up a bit of a fight coming out of the planter but not too too bad. The root system continued a good ways below the planter so it basically had to be yanked out. 

2 questions....

Do you guys think I should fertilize it this season or let it be? 

Should I be concerned about the roots it lost?

20220606_120026.jpg

20220606_120124.jpg

20220606_120022.jpg

20220606_120736.jpg

20220606_122938.jpg

20220606_125140.jpg

I think the use of 4X4? posts to make those raised beds is a great idea for me that has soil issues with growing certain palms. I could just grow cold hardy shrubs around the palms so it isn't obvious. 

Did you go 10 posts high?

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

On 6/23/2022 at 9:41 AM, Collectorpalms said:

I think the use of 4X4? posts to make those raised beds is a great idea for me that has soil issues with growing certain palms. I could just grow cold hardy shrubs around the palms so it isn't obvious. 

Did you go 10 posts high?

Yea I used 4x4s cut to 4 foot lengths. From ground level the Sylvester planter was 16 posts high. They worked out great from a soil, watering, and fertilization control standpoint. I will say tho, 16 posts is a bit too tall with nothing more than a single layer of 4x4s. If I were to do something like this again, at that height I'd do more of a pyramid, or tiered design on all sides to help disperse the weight better. If you are only going a foot or 2 tall obviously that won't be an issue

On 6/10/2022 at 8:38 AM, DAVEinMB said:

Last night I cleaned up the rest of the old/damaged foliage so I can better monitor how well it's growing following the transplant. I gotta say, I hope the move doesn't set it back too much because this thing wasted no time recovering from this past winter's ice storm

My yard is pretty cluttered at the moment, try to focus on the tree :P

20220610_021255.jpg

20220610_021159.jpg

Cleaned up beautifully! Really nice palm…root ball looked more than adequate…light fertilizer makes sense, allowing it to adjust without having to work too hard to grow…well done.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GregVirginia7 said:

Cleaned up beautifully! Really nice palm…root ball looked more than adequate…light fertilizer makes sense, allowing it to adjust without having to work too hard to grow…well done.

Thanks man! Been giving it tons of water and it appears to be pushing new growth already; so far so good :shaka-2:

I'm excited to plan out the area around it. Will finish off the area around the patio