IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

An ad for a palm that is astounding to me......$$$$$

Bill H2DB

Not unrealistic for a fully mature tree (not just palms).

It's probably 50+ years old.

Buying a 5-10 year old Canary island Date Palm (no visible trunk to ~2ft trunk),  is about ~$600-$1200 at nurseries in California.

Also you have to consider the cost of:

• Digging it up
  • Lifting it with a crane
  • Wrapping the roots and leaves
  • Lifting it onto an oversized flat bed trailer
  • Transporting it
  • Digging a hole in the new location
  • Lifting it with a crane at the new location

(which I assume is not included in the Craigslist ad) 

The ones at I've seen at nurseries are usually in 48" wooden planter boxes, and will include delivery and installation.

For that price it better include the whole shebang, digging, transport, replant, heavy equipment.  I don't think CIDP's go for that kind of money not including all that. 

• Upvote 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

I'm guessing that the palm might be interfering with their solar panels during winter. Tell them you''l remove it, if they pay you $2000.

This is a typical Craigslist listing.  People see prices for palms and assume they have a 'gold mine'.  $12,000 may be a reasonable price for an installed palm, not an in-ground one.  As previously mentioned there is a lot of expensive labor and machinery on both ends, digging and installing.  I believe that most palm brokers pay between $800 to $1200 for palms.  They are not getting rich, as there are only a few  companies in California that do this work.  Additionally, the legitimate palm brokers usually guarantee the palm for two years.

I have seen Craigslist ads where the seller wants $500 for a backyard in-ground  Washingtonia,    (most likely a bird dropped seed as well !)  :winkie: 

• Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

I personally know a guy who paid 30k for some 30ft tall ones.

Outlandish but the super rich tend not to be budget hunters on palm talk lol

Should add that if this was a 24' Jubaea I'd give it a thought at that price... Lol

• Like 2

I think the only chance this seller has is if a landscape architect sees this and needs one for a commercial project or high end community entrance.  You should offer $100 and ask for free delivery.  

A CIDP of that size got chainsawed off in London last year. One of many that were planted small and have since been cut down as they got too big. The owner should have listed it online and sold it. I’m sure someone would have paid at least £2,000 for it. The one posted on here will never go for $12,000, especially when you factor in further costs to dig it out, lift it up, transport it and get it planted into its new location. You would have to hire equipment and possibly personnel. So you’re probably looking at $15,000 in total. 

Dry-summer Oceanic climate (9a)

Average annual precipitation - 18.7 inches : Average annual sunshine hours - 1725

I gotta say, anyone paying big bucks for a Phoenix in Florida is crazy, or they don't know about TPPD/LB, or have more money than sense.  Or all of the above.  :D  I know Daytona hasn't been hit like Tampa and Lakeland areas, but there's a lot of Phoenix dying in the Orlando area.  Many of these are recent transplants, lasting 3-4 months and dying in the distinctive LB manner...

• Like 3

Buying established big trees and then chopping down the roots to a root ball will no doubt cause a setback for this palm.  A year after planted it will likely have half to two thirds the viable leaves.  In addition, young trees have higher rooting hormone production, it wanes with age.  I expect that CIDP will take years to look good as it does now after transplanting.  All the 25+ foot trees the highway landscapers have planted here look gaunt for a few years and then some fill out and look good faster than others.   So in a sense, no you cant buy it and have it like it is now in your yard, even that will take years.  I could not replace my larger palms, they have massive root systems that take time, no money cannot buy that root recovery time.

• Like 2

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank