Palms Brisbane

Journey of my Licuala sp. 'Kalimantan Mottled'

Palms Brisbane

Hi All,

Thought I would create a progress post. Should be good to see development over time.

I bought 10x Licuala sp. 'Kalimantan Mottled' seeds in October 2021. I have only had 1 seed germinate.

Below is the one and only Kalimantan Mottled. Hopefully in future it will look more impressive and I can keep it alive.

Future posts to follow.

20220530_083710.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

I look forward to watching your baby grow up!

• Like 1

PalmsandLiszt
11 hours ago, Palms Brisbane said:

Hi All,

Thought I would create a progress post. Should be good to see development over time.

I bought 10x Licuala sp. 'Kalimantan Mottled' seeds in October 2021. I have only had 1 seed germinate.

Below is the one and only Kalimantan Mottled. Hopefully in future it will look more impressive and I can keep it alive.

Future posts to follow.

20220530_083710.jpg

May I ask your germination conditions? I have five of these seeds, which I bought sometime in the latter half of last year (I forget exactly when), and they've done bugger all, although they still all look viable.

Palms Brisbane

@PalmsandLiszt

Pure luck, this one germinated less than 1 week after receiving in mail. The other 9 seeds still in baggies and look fine but no germination... I'm hoping other seeds will germinate, but could be 0-12months away? Or maybe not at all.

The other seeds are in ziplock bags with peat moss, damp not wet. Outside on window sill of shed, no direct light and temperature would just be what's outside.

Hopefully you get some success eventually.

Edited by Palms Brisbane
  • Like 1

Cindy Adair

Licualas are often slow for me even if the seed is off of my own plants so very fresh, but eventually they come up.

• Like 3

PalmsandLiszt
1 hour ago, Palms Brisbane said:

@PalmsandLiszt

Pure luck, this one germinated less than 1 week after receiving in mail. The other 9 seeds still in baggies and look fine but no germination... I'm hoping other seeds will germinate, but could be 0-12months away? Or maybe not at all.

The other seeds are in ziplock bags with peat moss, damp not wet. Outside on window sill of shed, no direct light and temperature would just be what's outside.

Hopefully you get some success eventually.

I looked up the average temperatures in Brisbane and they seem quite similar to what I'm exposing the seeds to, maybe a tad lower. Mine are in a ziplock bag of damp moss around 85F/30C give or take a few degrees. Perhaps they're just programmed to take a long time. I hope so, as they were relatively expensive, so it would be nice to at least get one.

Hope your seedling does well and I look forward to any updates. I could find next to nothing on the internet about this yet-to-be-described species.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Palms Brisbane

It is winter, so growth would have slowed. Still progress :)

20220706_193642.thumb.jpg.225aa0219db5606f7049f10e0ef0c835.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

realarch

Oh Scott……..looking good so far! Sending telepathic good vibes from the mid Pacific.

Tim

• Like 1

mike in kurtistown

Licualas are often sporadic germinators. I have germinated (or not!) many species. One recent experience is where one seed germinated in 2 months, then I got three more to germinate after 15 months. 

• Like 3

johnnymak

Very nice, good luck with it, mine has just put out a second leaf.

• Like 1

Palms Brisbane

Still progressing :)

This will be last photo until second leaf.

Seems to be growing better than the mapu.

20220806_101555.jpg

Edited by Palms Brisbane
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

JohnAndSancho
13 minutes ago, Palms Brisbane said:

Still progressing :)

This will be last photo until second leaf.

Seems to be growing better than the mapu.

20220806_101555.jpg

It's adorable!

• Like 1