IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Journey of my Licuala sp. 'Kalimantan Mottled'

Palms Brisbane

Hi All,

Thought I would create a progress post. Should be good to see development over time.

I bought 10x Licuala sp. 'Kalimantan Mottled' seeds in October 2021. I have only had 1 seed germinate.

Below is the one and only Kalimantan Mottled. Hopefully in future it will look more impressive and I can keep it alive.

Future posts to follow.

20220530_083710.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Palms Brisbane said:

Hi All,

Thought I would create a progress post. Should be good to see development over time.

I bought 10x Licuala sp. 'Kalimantan Mottled' seeds in October 2021. I have only had 1 seed germinate.

Below is the one and only Kalimantan Mottled. Hopefully in future it will look more impressive and I can keep it alive.

Future posts to follow.

20220530_083710.jpg

May I ask your germination conditions? I have five of these seeds, which I bought sometime in the latter half of last year (I forget exactly when), and they've done bugger all, although they still all look viable.

@PalmsandLiszt

Pure luck, this one germinated less than 1 week after receiving in mail. The other 9 seeds still in baggies and look fine but no germination... I'm hoping other seeds will germinate, but could be 0-12months away? Or maybe not at all.

The other seeds are in ziplock bags with peat moss, damp not wet. Outside on window sill of shed, no direct light and temperature would just be what's outside.

Hopefully you get some success eventually.

Edited by Palms Brisbane
  • Like 2

Licualas are often slow for me even if the seed is off of my own plants so very fresh, but eventually they come up.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

1 hour ago, Palms Brisbane said:

@PalmsandLiszt

Pure luck, this one germinated less than 1 week after receiving in mail. The other 9 seeds still in baggies and look fine but no germination... I'm hoping other seeds will germinate, but could be 0-12months away? Or maybe not at all.

The other seeds are in ziplock bags with peat moss, damp not wet. Outside on window sill of shed, no direct light and temperature would just be what's outside.

Hopefully you get some success eventually.

I looked up the average temperatures in Brisbane and they seem quite similar to what I'm exposing the seeds to, maybe a tad lower. Mine are in a ziplock bag of damp moss around 85F/30C give or take a few degrees. Perhaps they're just programmed to take a long time. I hope so, as they were relatively expensive, so it would be nice to at least get one.

Hope your seedling does well and I look forward to any updates. I could find next to nothing on the internet about this yet-to-be-described species.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Oh Scott……..looking good so far! Sending telepathic good vibes from the mid Pacific.

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Licualas are often sporadic germinators. I have germinated (or not!) many species. One recent experience is where one seed germinated in 2 months, then I got three more to germinate after 15 months. 

• Like 3

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

• 3 weeks later...

Still progressing :)

This will be last photo until second leaf.

Seems to be growing better than the mapu.

20220806_101555.jpg

Edited by Palms Brisbane
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Palms Brisbane said:

Still progressing :)

This will be last photo until second leaf.

Seems to be growing better than the mapu.

20220806_101555.jpg

It's adorable!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I received 2 seeds in the mail already sprouted in the gel balls they were shipped in. What do I do in regards to next step? I didn’t plan for it to happen so quickly lol. What’s the best growing medium for these sprouts?

On 8/28/2022 at 9:32 AM, Kwazyca said:

I received 2 seeds in the mail already sprouted in the gel balls they were shipped in. What do I do in regards to next step? I didn’t plan for it to happen so quickly lol. What’s the best growing medium for these sprouts?

Congratulations. I used premium potting mix and perlite for good drainage. I planted mine about 2cm deep which is deeper than I would normally plant a palm seed at that size.

Good luck.

On 5/30/2022 at 9:18 AM, Cindy Adair said:

Licualas are often slow for me even if the seed is off of my own plants so very fresh, but eventually they come up.

Yep, never heard of a fast licuala...

• 1 month later...

Any updates !? 

im growing a few so I wanted to know how yours is doing . Any more sprouted ?  A pic of my mapu . The Kalimantan are tiny 

888148D8-7327-42C6-A47B-6A278F1C8CBC.jpeg

D4CEAEC2-1C6F-441F-AB5D-6B3670BFA68B.jpeg

Edited by Hec0605
  • Like 4

@Hec0605

Just in Spring. Weather warming up now so will put back outside in shade house tomorrow and hopefully get some decent growth.

This is the little one at the moment. The other seeds still haven't germinated.

Scott

20221001_111807.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Palms Brisbane

That is great to see! I'm hoping that mine grow  quicker than the Mapu. I have 8,  and have them on somewhat in bonsai/ orchid mix type media as the Mapu really likes it (sort of a rheophyte media). However, I need to move to a substrate that won't break down as easily.  Basically same mix I grew the Dicranopygium Sp. Gun Yala.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Kalimantan , Perak 

P1030122.JPG

• Like 4

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Update on my little one. Another seed just sprouted couple weeks ago. So now have 2 :)

Sneaky Mapu in photo behind.

20230311_101534.thumb.jpg.93f18a142d0ff4f48ca0dcf17289ff9b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

I think this might be the hobby that requires the most patience haha, these are looking good!

• Like 1

Lucas

2 hours ago, Little Tex said:

I think this might be the hobby that requires the most patience haha, these are looking good!

Best time to plant a palm is a decade ago :)

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Palms Brisbane said:

Hi All,

Update on my little one. Another seed just sprouted couple weeks ago. So now have 2 :)

Sneaky Mapu in photo behind.

20230311_101534.thumb.jpg.93f18a142d0ff4f48ca0dcf17289ff9b.jpg

AHH!!! GORGEOUS!! I have 6 seed being delivered to me in Florida, USA from a UK seller today. They say they are “new harvest seeds very fresh” from “Thai farmers”. They probably mean collectors. I’ve attached screenshots of the images from their auction page. Thank you for sharing your germination and cultivation tips!! 

C5C13633-C9B5-40AF-B04D-8601F81DDDC2.png

70CF3F5E-17A7-4B6A-8FCD-F43A47556745.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

I agree, gorgeous little palm. Good luck Missi and keep us updated on the progress.

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

3 hours ago, realarch said:

I agree, gorgeous little palm. Good luck Missi and keep us updated on the progress.

Tim

Thank you!!

They are the real deal and two have already germinated! I’m so thrilled! Aren’t they cool looking! 

CDF446B5-D3AF-484C-96D1-998D25757F06.jpeg

3CBB20F4-75E3-402A-9755-E072D8D459EB.jpeg

F36772A5-CCED-4DD7-AAF8-6BEE775516E6.jpeg

• Like 2

And how the heck should I plant these in the potting media? Completely underneath with the seed above?

Yes. The growing tip is coming from the top of the ‘ U ‘ turn at the bottom of the root. I’d leave most of the seed shell exposed on top of the soil. Those look really healthy. They call this remote germination.

Tim

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

6 hours ago, Missi said:

AHH!!! GORGEOUS!! I have 6 seed being delivered to me in Florida, USA from a UK seller today. They say they are “new harvest seeds very fresh” from “Thai farmers”. They probably mean collectors. I’ve attached screenshots of the images from their auction page. Thank you for sharing your germination and cultivation tips!! 

C5C13633-C9B5-40AF-B04D-8601F81DDDC2.png

70CF3F5E-17A7-4B6A-8FCD-F43A47556745.png

Hi Missy,

could you let me know where you got these from? I would like to try some as well.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, realarch said:

Yes. The growing tip is coming from the top of the ‘ U ‘ turn at the bottom of the root. I’d leave most of the seed shell exposed on top of the soil. Those look really healthy. They call this remote germination.

Tim

Ahhhh! Wonderful! Thank you so much Tim!!! I will pot them up tomorrow.

5 hours ago, Barry said:

Hi Missy,

could you let me know where you got these from? I would like to try some as well.

Absolutely! I will pm you.

8 hours ago, Missi said:

Thank you!!

They are the real deal and two have already germinated! I’m so thrilled! Aren’t they cool looking! 

CDF446B5-D3AF-484C-96D1-998D25757F06.jpeg

3CBB20F4-75E3-402A-9755-E072D8D459EB.jpeg

F36772A5-CCED-4DD7-AAF8-6BEE775516E6.jpeg

I don't like the look of those black root tips. Possibly they're supposed to have black tips, but I very much doubt it. It has been frequently sub-freezing in the UK of late, so not the ideal time to buy germinated seeds. I hope they make it. You might like to try dipping them in some dilute H2O2 and see if they fizz, and apply a fungicide before potting them up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PalmsandLiszt said:

I don't like the look of those black root tips. Possibly they're supposed to have black tips, but I very much doubt it. It has been frequently sub-freezing in the UK of late, so not the ideal time to buy germinated seeds. I hope they make it. You might like to try dipping them in some dilute H2O2 and see if they fizz, and apply a fungicide before potting them up.

I noticed those and was a bit concerned as well. Thanks for the advice on the peroxide. I will absolutely do!

Some of the seeds I bought on rps sprouted, and I wasn't sure what kind of soil to plant them in due to a lack of information. If possible, I would like to ask you about your planting mix. Thank you.

Potted the two germinated ones up in coco coir and perlite last night. I have them in this container under my green lights on the lanai. The other 5 non germinated seeds are soaking for 24 hours then will go in a similar set up.

01A7E865-5DA4-4A78-B6ED-09D79235D6C9.jpeg

A8E645BB-82D8-4D5C-8C45-8689F4D62FE9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Missi said:

Potted the two germinated ones up in coco coir and perlite last night. I have them in this container under my green lights on the lanai. The other 5 non germinated seeds are soaking for 24 hours then will go in a similar set up.

Grow* lights.

@Palms BrisbaneSorry for hijacking your post. Maybe we can make this the communal L. sp. Kali thread for others who try as well?!!

One more seed germinated while soaking since last night!!

AF639501-B891-413F-8E5C-747129E9F009.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to @Missi supplier, I now have 15 seeds. Ordered 12, shipped 15, with one fully sprouted and 4 others starting to sprout. Arrived about 10 days ago. Potted up the last 10 today, which another one had sprouted. Seeds really look good. The one that was fully sprouted is starting to turn green, looking good so far. I bought a clear container to put them in, placed them on the porch. We are supposed to hit 93-94 degrees this week, should be warm enough to get them going.

24F7670B-36A6-4740-B313-22D5C8119DDF.jpeg

7283F7E3-C9F5-405E-B2B1-7B18A14A173B.jpeg

C6117A4A-5CA0-493F-8398-201D250F17E7.jpeg

584DA50D-420E-44B8-8C5F-50586B32ECC2.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

On 4/2/2023 at 9:59 PM, Barry said:

Thanks to @Missi supplier, I now have 15 seeds. Ordered 12, shipped 15, with one fully sprouted and 4 others starting to sprout. Arrived about 10 days ago. Potted up the last 10 today, which another one had sprouted. Seeds really look good. The one that was fully sprouted is starting to turn green, looking good so far. I bought a clear container to put them in, placed them on the porch. We are supposed to hit 93-94 degrees this week, should be warm enough to get them going.

YEESSSSS!!! SO exciting! Congrats @Barry!! They look sooooo good!! :yay:

Update on mine is that one of the germinated/sprouted ones rotted. As soon as I saw white fuzz on the part of the seed that was above the potting mix (within the first few days of being potted up), I quickly quarantined it and treated with hydrogen peroxide. Did that each day for a week straight but it was already a gonner. The other sprouted seed is doing incredible and is really, really greening up! Two other seeds have germinated and the rest nothing yet. However, feeling super blessed for what I DO have thus far, and also for no more rot/fungus issues! 🙏