SailorBold

Jubaea x Butia f3 blooming

SailorBold
4 hours ago, Jtee said:

Beautiful New Mexican Jubea!

is that a saguaro cactus? Or one of them Argentinian cactus?

Ty.. its getting there.. hoping for some babies..

That's the Argentinian.. which I think is getting ready to bloom for the first time, too.

SailorBold
3 hours ago, Scott W said:

Rich Lindberg and Frank Lewis both put Syagrus romanzoffiana pollen on it.  I know Rich has also put Jubaea pollen onto it with limited success.

That's the Supermule right?  I'd love to try one of those..  so just by looking at the infloresence.. thats a jubaea infloresence?

Scott W
8 hours ago, SailorBold said:

That's the Supermule right?  I'd love to try one of those..  so just by looking at the infloresence.. thats a jubaea infloresence?

Yes, that's what they are calling it due to it's parent lineage.

If you're referring to the inflorescence picture I posted, I'm pretty certain that's one his Dwarf Butia, either mattogrossensis or Archeri.

• Like 1

Jeff zone 8 N.C.
On 6/18/2022 at 6:14 PM, SailorBold said:

Ok.. these started falling off... Im assuming they're the pollen.. so I grabbed a container and collected as many as I could.. im not sure.. but im guessing another type of the flower will open.. ?  I guess I'll dust it with whatever collects in this container..there appears to be pollen..  anyone know if that's right?

20220618_160205.jpg

Since no one else mentioned this I will say that you should keep the pollen dry till use and immediately dry it after collection.  Piling it in a container with other material that can have moisture in it can kill the pollen because of exposure to moisture, in that material. Like Scott said strain the other material out through a screen and dry the pollen. That should be easy to dry in your location, in a day, (in shade) and may already be dry even if stored with the extra material. Still I would dry it, then put in an airtight container with one of those little silica packets or some rice and store in a refrigerator till ready to use.  Good luck.

• Like 1

SailorBold
On 6/26/2022 at 7:28 AM, Jeff zone 8 N.C. said:

Since no one else mentioned this I will say that you should keep the pollen dry till use and immediately dry it after collection.  Piling it in a container with other material that can have moisture in it can kill the pollen because of exposure to moisture, in that material. Like Scott said strain the other material out through a screen and dry the pollen. That should be easy to dry in your location, in a day, (in shade) and may already be dry even if stored with the extra material. Still I would dry it, then put in an airtight container with one of those little silica packets or some rice and store in a refrigerator till ready to use.  Good luck.

Well.. the pollen I thought was dry..ended up growing mold...thank you for this though.. its appreciated.  Ill need to do a better job. The female flowers are now receptive..they look like the butia photo. There are a few flying insects around.. but with the rain we just had.. I doubt they will set seed..  

There are still 2 spathes ready to pop.. hopefully will be able to get those!!

• Like 1

SailorBold

Ok.. this literally just opened within the last hour.. 

This is the 2nd spathe..

20220701_183227.jpg

20220701_183215.jpg

20220701_183223.jpg

20220701_183208.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

SailorBold

More from today..

20220702_113411.jpg

20220702_113529.jpg

20220702_113538.jpg