IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaea x Butia f3 blooming

SailorBold

Very surprised to see this! How exciting.. These should be viable right? Well I guess if the seeds set...

I counted 2 spaths..and maybe a third coming in..

20220523_061739.jpg

20220523_061606.jpg

20220523_061555.jpg

• Like 19
  • Upvote 1

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

I think I can offer some assistance. Got a new dog who eats palm fronds and especially fond of trachy and med blooms.  And a wife who throws out bags of seed. Interested?

Serious on the above.  Cool, I hope you get some seed! 

And show the whole thing! Monster!

Edited by jwitt
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, jwitt said:

I think I can offer some assistance. Got a new dog who eats palm fronds and especially fond of trachy and med blooms.  And a wife who throws out bags of seed. Interested?

Serious on the above.  Cool, I hope you get some seed! 

And show the whole thing! Monster!

Hey.. I still have filifera seed if you're interested.. but definitely keep your fingers crossed that these are viable.. I dont think bees will be a problem...so you may have some of these growing soon too..!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

That's awesome now we just need a pic of the whole palm now @SailorBold

T J 

It was winter damaged this year.. but here's a pic from late January before the 2.0... I'm surprised it's going to bloom tho..really wasn't expecting that..

20220113_135805.jpg

• Like 4

That bad boy is a beast I'm definitely digging how Jubaea like it is but I'm sure it grows a whole lot faster 

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

39 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

That bad boy is a beast I'm definitely digging how Jubaea like it is but I'm sure it grows a whole lot faster 

T J 

It does have that Jubaea carrot trunk... picture doesn't show how big it is really. You think I trimmed too much?

Edited by SailorBold

1 hour ago, SailorBold said:

Cleaned it up a little.. but here is a pic..

20220523_200824.jpg

Beautiful! Jub trunk with silvery fronds!

BA!

On 5/23/2022 at 8:18 PM, SailorBold said:

Hey.. I still have filifera seed if you're interested.. but definitely keep your fingers crossed that these are viable.. I dont think bees will be a problem...so you may have some of these growing soon too..!!

I'll take you up on some seed. 

Fingers crossed!

I wasn't too fond on your overhead pic until I realized how healthy that palm looks.  From all angles! In Rio Rancho, NM!  And yeah, the pics do not do it justice,  need something for size reference.  

Did we hit 2? I used KABQ's 7.  Might explain some of my palm damage(above average), other than my dog.  

My experience with seeds. My trachy and med palm have bloomed for the last 3 years.  This past winter was the first trachy seeds.  Never got seeds on the med.  Some blooms on the med escaped the dog, so maybe....this year.

Edited by jwitt
  • Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 8:29 AM, SailorBold said:

These should be viable right? Well I guess if the seeds set...

I counted 2 spaths..and maybe a third coming in

If it is anything like the flowering Butia I have that throws 4 or 5 spathes each year... The male flowers typically open first, then pretty much all fall off before the female flowers are receptive.  So the first spathe that opens (it is usually the only one open at the time) doesn't set fruit/seed (because there is no source of pollen nearby, including self).  The next couple of spathes open overlapping, so there are male flowers present while there are receptive female flowers.  These all are usually covered with wasps and bees that take care of fertilization,  then these blooms produce copious amounts of fruit and fertile seed.   If there is a straggler spathe that opens later when there are no other blooms open, it will also not set fruit, or very few fruit (thankfully because there is already sooo much fruit).

If you really really want to be sure you get self fertilized seed... collect pollen from the first spathe that opens.  You can then fertilize the receptive female flowers.  It is a a bunch of effort, and depending on timing of the blooms and how long it holds on to male flowers you may not even have to.

Also, really nice looking palm.       

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

On 5/24/2022 at 10:41 PM, jwitt said:

I'll take you up on some seed. 

Fingers crossed!

I wasn't too fond on your overhead pic until I realized how healthy that palm looks.  From all angles! In Rio Rancho, NM!  And yeah, the pics do not do it justice,  need something for size reference.  

Did we hit 2? I used KABQ's 7.  Might explain some of my palm damage(above average), other than my dog.  

My experience with seeds. My trachy and med palm have bloomed for the last 3 years.  This past winter was the first trachy seeds.  Never got seeds on the med.  Some blooms on the med escaped the dog, so maybe....this year.

Ill keep you updated for sure. Will be interesting to see the fruit.. perhaps eat some if possible? Hopefully your puppy is passed teething!

Yeah ended up replacing the roof in January.. so while I was up there inspecting I took a few shots.  I'll try to do some scale shots today. See how that goes..

I took a couple screen shots of my weather data from my weather station and some from another station a block over from the arctic freeze in February.. they're pretty close. So from that it was about 7-8f.  That storm damaged my filiferas more than normal.. altho my bxbj was unscathed?.. so pretty quick.  Just one storm..smh.. I just trimmed the filiferas too.. look hurricane cut but all the damage is gone now.  Ready for summer.

Have you been down to the drainage pond? I'm curious if any of the seeds are starting ... was going to throw some trachy seed around too..

Screenshot_20220525-093237_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220525-092348_Chrome.jpg

On 5/25/2022 at 7:29 AM, Joe NC said:

If it is anything like the flowering Butia I have that throws 4 or 5 spathes each year... The male flowers typically open first, then pretty much all fall off before the female flowers are receptive.  So the first spathe that opens (it is usually the only one open at the time) doesn't set fruit/seed (because there is no source of pollen nearby, including self).  The next couple of spathes open overlapping, so there are male flowers present while there are receptive female flowers.  These all are usually covered with wasps and bees that take care of fertilization,  then these blooms produce copious amounts of fruit and fertile seed.   If there is a straggler spathe that opens later when there are no other blooms open, it will also not set fruit, or very few fruit (thankfully because there is already sooo much fruit).

If you really really want to be sure you get self fertilized seed... collect pollen from the first spathe that opens.  You can then fertilize the receptive female flowers.  It is a a bunch of effort, and depending on timing of the blooms and how long it holds on to male flowers you may not even have to.

Also, really nice looking palm.       

Thank you and thanks for sharing this info.. very helpful.... im going to try and collect the pollen and see what I can do.. the other spathes are pretty far behind the first one.. 

Do you do anything with the seeds or fruit?

Curious what the background on the tree is (who was the hybridizer, how old, etc).

If you were wanting to experiment with further hybridization you could also look into putting Syagrus romanzoffiana pollen onto it.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2022 at 8:47 AM, SailorBold said:

Will be interesting to see the fruit.. perhaps eat some if possible?

Both Butia and Jubaea fruits are delicious but I prefer the Butia fruit.  Since the original hybrid mother was Jubaea I would think that the fruit would resemble Jubaea.   Awesome palm!

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

I just notice a Butia spathe yesterday  . I hope I get a few more .

Will

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 1

I've always admired that palm.  Let me know if you get seed and can spare some.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 10:14 PM, SailorBold said:

Cleaned it up a little.. but here is a pic..

20220523_200824.jpg

Wow…that’s a beautiful setting…well done.

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 10:09 AM, Scott W said:

Curious what the background on the tree is (who was the hybridizer, how old, etc).

If you were wanting to experiment with further hybridization you could also look into putting Syagrus romanzoffiana pollen onto it.

This is a Merrill Wilcox hybrid.. it was planted in 2014 as a 5 gallon. So roughly 8 years in ground.

I'd have to do some serious research to do some hybridizations.. and of course obtain the pollen.. I wonder if this is going to be every year now..  

• Like 2

On 5/27/2022 at 10:24 AM, Fusca said:

Both Butia and Jubaea fruits are delicious but I prefer the Butia fruit.  Since the original hybrid mother was Jubaea I would think that the fruit would resemble Jubaea.   Awesome palm!

So the outside is tasty or is it just the inside??

Hopefully we find out.. its been very windy here.. with humidity at 3%..  hope the pollen won't blow away.. im still watching it now to get some pics of it opened.

Edited by SailorBold

On 5/28/2022 at 6:56 PM, Fallen Munk said:

I've always admired that palm.  Let me know if you get seed and can spare some.

Absolutely..

• Like 1

On 5/27/2022 at 1:02 PM, Will Simpson said:

I just notice a Butia spathe yesterday  . I hope I get a few more .

Will

You let them fruit? I did think about cutting them off.. 

14 hours ago, GregVirginia7 said:

Wow…that’s a beautiful setting…well done.

Ty!

7 hours ago, SailorBold said:

This is a Merrill Wilcox hybrid.. it was planted in 2014 as a 5 gallon. So roughly 8 years in ground.

I'd have to do some serious research to do some hybridizations.. and of course obtain the pollen.. I wonder if this is going to be every year now..  

I am not positive if these produce viable seed if it's allowed to self pollinate, though I'll ask Rich.

I do know that that is the tree he and Frank Lewis use as the mother to produce the Super Mules.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SailorBold said:

So the outside is tasty or is it just the inside??

I haven't tried the nut of Jubaea but if you crack open a Butia seed the embryo tastes like coconut.  I was referring to the juicy fleshy fruit around the seed.  Syagrus romanzoffiana (queen) is also sweet as are the fruits of mules and other hybrids.  The fruits have a lot of fibers so it's like chewing gum.  :P But I really enjoy eating the fruit anyway.

• Like 1

Jon Sunder

I keep checking to see if the spathes have opened... and all I'm finding is they are getting bigger and bigger and bigger.. they grow so fast too! There are 3 total coming in.  And the first one is huge now at over 3 1/2 feet!

20220601_164134.jpg

• Like 9

On 6/1/2022 at 4:56 PM, SailorBold said:

I keep checking to see if the spathes have opened... and all I'm finding is they are getting bigger and bigger and bigger.. they grow so fast too! There are 3 total coming in.  And the first one is huge now at over 3 1/2 feet!

20220601_164134.jpg

:w00::greenthumb:

• Like 2

On 6/1/2022 at 6:56 PM, SailorBold said:

In my talks with Rich this weekend he stated these should be self fertile, so it may be worth it to see if they produce viable seed on their own without having to cross any other pollen onto it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

First spathe opened overnight!  I hope I get seeds.. but its supposed to rain..  ??

20220618_080835.jpg

20220618_080734.jpg

20220618_080830.jpg

20220618_080803.jpg

• Like 4

Ok.. these started falling off... Im assuming they're the pollen.. so I grabbed a container and collected as many as I could.. im not sure.. but im guessing another type of the flower will open.. ?  I guess I'll dust it with whatever collects in this container..there appears to be pollen..  anyone know if that's right?

20220618_160205.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/18/2022 at 6:14 PM, SailorBold said:

Ok.. these started falling off... Im assuming they're the pollen.. so I grabbed a container and collected as many as I could.. im not sure.. but im guessing another type of the flower will open.. ?  I guess I'll dust it with whatever collects in this container..there appears to be pollen..  anyone know if that's right?

Yes, those would be the remnants of the male flowers AFTER they've released their pollen.  The female flowers are the smaller round buds that are developing along the spathe with male flowers still in between that most likely haven't opened or are just now opening.

I'd sift that through a fine mesh colander over a piece of printer paper and see if there any pollen left.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scott W said:

Yes, those would be the remnants of the male flowers AFTER they've released their pollen.  The female flowers are the smaller round buds that are developing along the spathe with male flowers still in between that most likely haven't opened or are just now opening.

I'd sift that through a fine mesh colander over a piece of printer paper and see if there any pollen left.   

Thank you..Ok.. seeing it and reading it made it clear now.. I went and snapped a couple pictures. The female flowers haven't opened yet.. its interesting!

There are still 2 spathes on the way..

20220621_120913.jpg

20220621_120916.jpg

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, SailorBold said:

Thank you..Ok.. seeing it and reading it made it clear now.. I went and snapped a couple pictures. The female flowers haven't opened yet.. its interesting!

There are still 2 spathes on the way..

That is what I was talking about in my post above.  The male flowers usually all open and release their pollen and fall off before the female flowers open.  So if it is the only spathe open when the female flowers are open and receptive, there will be no pollen available to self fertilize.   This is why I usually don't get any fruit set from the first or last spathe open on my Butia.  When there are multiples open overlapping, the bees do their job (too well, way too much fruit haha). 

• Like 2

This is a picture Rich Lindberg shared with me of a receptive Butia species female flower....

IMG_20220621_163731.thumb.jpg.5609005b75698b091b9c7049fc1c6f40.jpg

Yes, having males drop before the females are receptive can be an issue.  Its also been noted that when a Butia or Syagrus first start flowering sometimes the first couple spathes are all male flowers and/or sometimes you get male flowers with no pollen whatsoever.

• Like 2

Are there male and female inflorescences on a Butia ? Since I have only 1 inflorescence does that mean I won't have fruit ?

Thanks for any input .

Will

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Will Simpson said:

Are there male and female inflorescences on a Butia ? Since I have only 1 inflorescence does that mean I won't have fruit ?

Thanks for any input .

Will

Butia and Syagrus species have male and female flowers on the same inflorescence.  

What I was stating is that it's been observed that when the palm first starts flowering sometimes it doesn't produce both with the first couple spathes and it still needs some maturing until it starts producing male and female flowers normally 

• Like 1

From a 20+ y/o syagrus I *apparently* harvested the 'first' bunch of seeds the owner had even seen it produce in the 12 years they had it (they bought it full size) And the seeds were viable, and there was a bunch of seed that was produced. Anyway it doesn't make sense it would take a queen 20 years to produce its first inflorescence. On top of that it's "first" inflorescence was loaded and fully viable..?

Is it possible it had been producing flowers before they bought it, and went on hold for 12 years?!

Edited by 8BPalms
  • Like 1

On 6/21/2022 at 1:33 PM, Joe NC said:

That is what I was talking about in my post above.  The male flowers usually all open and release their pollen and fall off before the female flowers open.  So if it is the only spathe open when the female flowers are open and receptive, there will be no pollen available to self fertilize.   This is why I usually don't get any fruit set from the first or last spathe open on my Butia.  When there are multiples open overlapping, the bees do their job (too well, way too much fruit haha). 

I'll definitely see if that holds true with the other opening spathes.. this is a first for me so hopefully I'll get some seeds. I'll definitely dust this one..if its possible but I want to say that those male flowers must have opened before the spathe split open..

I guess it would be interesting to find out what the palm can be crossed with..  Syagrus...and then what about.. BJxB.. or even JXS??

1 hour ago, SailorBold said:

I'll definitely see if that holds true with the other opening spathes.. this is a first for me so hopefully I'll get some seeds. I'll definitely dust this one..if its possible but I want to say that those male flowers must have opened before the spathe split open..

I guess it would be interesting to find out what the palm can be crossed with..  Syagrus...and then what about.. BJxB.. or even JXS??

Rich Lindberg and Frank Lewis both put Syagrus romanzoffiana pollen on it.  I know Rich has also put Jubaea pollen onto it with limited success.

• Like 1