IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Why has this site for years said my pics are too big???

Mr. Coconut Palm

For years, this site has said my pics are too big.  I have had problems uploading pics on this site so often it makes me want to no longer use this site.  I used to have a digital camera to take standard sized pics that I didn't have a problem at all uploading to a tropical gardening Facebook page I have, but this site would give me lots of problems trying to upload the exact same pics.  Now, I use my phone camera that takes standard sized pics, but yet again, nothing but problems trying to upload pics.  I wonder how many other people are discouraged from using Palmtalk for the same reason???  For those of us who are low tech and not savvy in the technical aspects of photo sizing, and who have no problems uploading our standard sized pics to other sites, this site is very discouraging!  I have enjoyed using Palmtalk for years before of the good info and contacts here, but the photo policy on "size" is infuriating to the point I may quit using Palmtalk!!!

8 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

For years, this site has said my pics are too big.  I have had problems uploading pics on this site so often it makes me want to no longer use this site.  I used to have a digital camera to take standard sized pics that I didn't have a problem at all uploading to a tropical gardening Facebook page I have, but this site would give me lots of problems trying to upload the exact same pics.  Now, I use my phone camera that takes standard sized pics, but yet again, nothing but problems trying to upload pics.  I wonder how many other people are discouraged from using Palmtalk for the same reason???  For those of us who are low tech and not savvy in the technical aspects of photo sizing, and who have no problems uploading our standard sized pics to other sites, this site is very discouraging!  I have enjoyed using Palmtalk for years before of the good info and contacts here, but the photo policy on "size" is infuriating to the point I may quit using Palmtalk!!!

A few questions:

• Which type of phone?
  • Do you know the file size of the photo you're trying to upload?
  • Do you use Dropbox?

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I have an iPhone 13 and I’ve never had issues uploading to threads directly from my photo library.  Not sure what the problem is for you but that is very strange  

-dale

• Like 1

After almost 10 years of posting thousands of pictures here,  never once had an issue uploading that wasn't easy to figure out..   If a file were too big,  i'd simply resize the image ..say from 3000 or 5000 pixels to 1200 or so in my photo gallery ( don't do the whole upload straight from a phone thing myself ) on my laptop..  Then post here via the " Choose Images " option in the lower left part of the comment/ reply box..  Like learning how to riding a bike..

As for how to upload pictures from an Apple device?,   No clue since anything apple would get tossed in a fire, after a beat down.. 100% Apple free  :D

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I used to have problems like that. I don’t anymore. Not sure what changed. I haven’t changed my profile pic in a long time but that definitely used to have a very limited file size. I had several profile pics get rejected due to size in the past, but as I say, I haven’t tried to change it in a long time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

A few questions:

• Which type of phone?
  • Do you know the file size of the photo you're trying to upload?
  • Do you use Dropbox?

It is a Samsumg Galaxy A01.  I get a pop up on this site saying something like 200 when I try to upload photos.  I have no idea what that means, and I do not understand WHY it is never an issue on Facebook or any other site, just on this site???  I have no idea what you mean by Dropbox.  High tech crap that is supposedly "user friendly" is not at all user friendly for me, only for those techies who are really into technology is stuff like this "user friendly".

John

4 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

After almost 10 years of posting thousands of pictures here,  never once had an issue uploading that wasn't easy to figure out..   If a file were too big,  i'd simply resize the image ..say from 3000 or 5000 pixels to 1200 or so in my photo gallery ( don't do the whole upload straight from a phone thing myself ) on my laptop..  Then post here via the " Choose Images " option in the lower left part of the comment/ reply box..  Like learning how to riding a bike..

As for how to upload pictures from an Apple device?,   No clue since anything apple would get tossed in a fire, after a beat down.. 100% Apple free  :D

I don't understand WHY I only have an issue on this site and not others.  WHY can't Palmtalk get their act together and be able to upload people's pics the same way other sites do.  I have never knowingly changed the factory setting on either the digital camera I used to use, or on my cell phone.  As far as I know it is just the standard factory setting for size of pics, and it is never an issue on any other site, just here.  It is VERY FRUSTRATING.

John

3 hours ago, The Gerg said:

I used to have problems like that. I don’t anymore. Not sure what changed. I haven’t changed my profile pic in a long time but that definitely used to have a very limited file size. I had several profile pics get rejected due to size in the past, but as I say, I haven’t tried to change it in a long time.

Yeah, it's one of the reasons I have never tried to post a profile pic here, because I know it would just get rejected, and the really weird thing is IT ONLY HAPPENS on this site.  I don't know what it is about the system the administration of this site uses that causes this to ONLY happen to me here.  It seems like this site is big enough and has been in existence long enough that they could easily have a system of uploading pics similar to other sites where I have no problems at all.

John

4 hours ago, 96720 said:

I am below no tec and have never had any problem uploading pictures from my iPhone 

I don't have an iPhone.

John

19 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

I don't understand WHY I only have an issue on this site and not others.  WHY can't Palmtalk get their act together and be able to upload people's pics the same way other sites do.  I have never knowingly changed the factory setting on either the digital camera I used to use, or on my cell phone.  As far as I know it is just the standard factory setting for size of pics, and it is never an issue on any other site, just here.  It is VERY FRUSTRATING.

John

As mentioned, uploading pictures here on PT has never been an issue.. tweeking a few things might need to be done from time to time, but, don't see any reason for a major overhaul in how pictures can be loaded here..  A moderator task anyway, haha.. 

From the SD card in my camera, pictures are uploaded directly to my Photo Gallery ( Windows, yay yea, i know, ..For those who gristle, haha.. ) on my Lap Top..  I'll them edit, as needed, and resize - as needed- ...then proceed to upload desired shots.. Easy peasy..  

As far as phones, ..i don't use them. Camera is in hand everywhere i go.  If i take any pictures w/ a phone,  i'll bounce the shots to my lap top, or E-mail, then proceed w/ editing as necessary.. I can wait to share them.

*** As a side note, regarding profile Avatars,  I myself will resize a liked picture down to say 190-225 Pixels..  Always uploads,  though i may still have to resize a touch to fit it into the space provided.  We all know how much my Avatar changes, so i'm obviously having no issues..   

..And i'm far from a techie Guru  on Computer- related stuff.. Clouds?  you mean the ones in the sky, ..right?  Dropbox?  There are plants in that box, don't think of dropping it!.. :rage: :)

Not sure if it helps in your situation, but this free website does a great job reducing image file size (without losing quality)...

https://imagecompressor.com

• Like 2

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

You have not supplied enough info to try and answer your question. It appears as if it is probably a problem on your end, since I rarely hear of others having the same issue. With more information, perhaps we can figure out why. 

Tell me the process you go through when trying to upload a pic. And what size (dimensions, file size, and format) it is? If you would like to send me (email) an original photo that you are having an issue with, I can try and upload it myself. If I also have a problem, then there is a problem with the photo or our site. If I have no problem, then there is a problem with how you are trying to upload and hopefully we can figure out why.

PM me and I will give you my personal email address.

Oh - BTW - comparing PalmTalk (one employee) with FaceBook (70,000 employees) is a little unfair. FaceBook makes billions in profit,  we make zero. So, this gives me the opportunity to suggest that you consider joining the IPS. That would help us with our mission and keeping this free service available.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

I get that “-200” message occasionally when my internet connection isn’t strong. I’ve also seen it a couple of times when I try to multitask and open another browser or app. Maybe its a time out error? I dont think its  problem with the site but more likely slow upload speed.

7 hours ago, D. Morrowii said:

I get that “-200” message occasionally when my internet connection isn’t strong. I’ve also seen it a couple of times when I try to multitask and open another browser or app. Maybe its a time out error? I dont think its  problem with the site but more likely slow upload speed.

Thanks for the info. That is a possibility since some of the new weird phone photo dimensions require extra processing/time - so a time out or glitch with weaki internet connectivity is a possible.

Also - I have seen this occasionally with extra large portrait (orientation) shots - but I think that has been fixed.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

I got the same error a lot - apparently PT has like a ~2mb limit for uploads. What I used to do as a workaround was text the files to myself, then save the attachment. 

Unfortunately, my new phone won't let me do that. 

17 hours ago, iDesign said:

Not sure if it helps in your situation, but this free website does a great job reducing image file size (without losing quality)...

https://imagecompressor.com

So I'm gonna try this

• Like 1