IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Who’s growing sabals in Hawaii?

teddytn

This may seem odd. Everyone pushes the envelope with the palms they plant, like how far north can you grow a coconut palm etc. What about the opposite? If I moved to Hawaii of course I would jump both feet in with all the tropical palms I could get my hands on, but I would definitely plant all the cold hardy palms I’m a fan of now too. To me it would be cool to watch the growth rate of a cold hardy palm in a tropical environment. Anyone have sabal minor, sabal palmetto growing in paradise? I would love to see pics!!!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, teddytn said:

This may seem odd. Everyone pushes the envelope with the palms they plant, like how far north can you grow a coconut palm etc. What about the opposite? If I moved to Hawaii of course I would jump both feet in with all the tropical palms I could get my hands on, but I would definitely plant all the cold hardy palms I’m a fan of now too. To me it would be cool to watch the growth rate of a cold hardy palm in a tropical environment. Anyone have sabal minor, sabal palmetto growing in paradise? I would love to see pics!!!

Y;up, will get pictures later today.

• Like 3

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

Here in east Hawaii Island, have mauritiiformis and causiarums pretty good size but not trunking yet. Became a fan of Aussie Livs in central Florida and have some of them here too.

• Like 2

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Sabels do well here on the West Side of O`ahu. With or without irrigation.

Sabal mexicana after 20 +years. Pictures from 2009 and 2019

991475082_Sabalmexicana-2009-08.thumb.JPG.9a36dac41488e0b2389155dacb57d89f.JPG

765096911_Sabalmexicana-20211106_134029.thumb.jpg.2dc7741448e37f75ed2e95af9598dca0.jpg.

Sabal minor living on less that 20" of rain for the past 20 years.

678755832_Sabalminor-(2)-20200709_175653.thumb.jpg.740f74164597d3a9fde9f3720b5cd932.jpg

Click to choose files Sabal palmetto 2019 photo after 20 years in the ground.

130174276_Sabalpalmetto-2019-10a.thumb.jpg.38779de579e3e9caab061f9d7aa2c8bb.jpg

Sabal rose planted 2005.  Photos 2009 and 2019

784837114_Sabalrosei-2008-10.jpg.78ac0edff8bbb02438ed905e7a6b156c.jpg

1141791485_Sabalrosei-20200703_130424.thumb.jpg.f699fff0d47d6df1d9a50eddd9cf9be6.jpg

All but the minor irrigated twice a week for about 1/2 hr from 1/2" poly pipe and little spray heads

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

I just planted 3 mauritiformis seedlings! They’re not much to look at now. 

• Like 3

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

• 1 year later...

How do sabal minors do in wind? Are they wind tolerant or do the fans break up? Thinking of planting one here on Maui. 

In years past the State of HI forbade sending Sabal seeds/plants to the island.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

23 hours ago, Wstt said:

How do sabal minors do in wind? Are they wind tolerant or do the fans break up? Thinking of planting one here on Maui. 

I would do it. I’m sure they will love it there. Here on the wet side of the big island they can live but not like all the rain