IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Coconut palm base trunk

Plantking165

How does the trunk look on this 15 gallon dwarf coconut, worth getting it or is the trunk not thick enough? It's a fiji dwarf.Screenshot_20220519-135131_Gallery.thumb.jpg.9b1c49fdc4ac89e3b047e73b382e8c8a.jpg

• Upvote 1

Here are pics of the 7 gal and 15 gal have either started trunking yet? And is the trunk in good shape, what one would you go with?

received_727457585115447.jpeg

received_1696685134012787.jpeg

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Plantking165 said:

Here are pics of the 7 gal and 15 gal have either started trunking yet? And is the trunk in good shape, what one would you go with?

received_727457585115447.jpeg

received_1696685134012787.jpeg

Though the one in the last pic has a bigger crown, it looks more ragged overall than the other one, so maybe go with the one in the second pic.

John

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Though the one in the last pic has a bigger crown, it looks more ragged overall than the other one, so maybe go with the one in the second pic.

John

So the 7 gallon looks better, they both look like they have some trunk at the base it worries me that it won't get any bigger than that and stay thinner like that at the base. I'm no coconut expert but I'm also if I go with the smaller one I'll get a red spicata 3gal too

6 minutes ago, Plantking165 said:

So the 7 gallon looks better, they both look like they have some trunk at the base it worries me that it won't get any bigger than that and stay thinner like that at the base. I'm no coconut expert but I'm also if I go with the smaller one I'll get a red spicata 3gal too

I think the smaller one actually looks a little better.  The leaves look more normal for a Fiji Dwarf.  Get it and a Red Spicata too.  I am curios, where are they at?  I am looking for sources for different varieties.

John

Just now, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

I think the smaller one actually looks a little better.  The leaves look more normal for a Fiji Dwarf.  Get it and a Red Spicata too.  I am curios, where are they at?  I am looking for sources for different varieties.

John

It's at calusa palms they are down it naples it's quite a drive and Made only by appointment for pickup so yeah then I'll probably go with the 7g and a red spicata they also have yellow spicata in a 45g and Jamaican tall for 15 bucks

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Plantking165 said:

It's at calusa palms they are down it naples it's quite a drive and Made only by appointment for pickup so yeah then I'll probably go with the 7g and a red spicata they also have yellow spicata in a 45g and Jamaican tall for 15 bucks

Do you know if they ship to California?

(Talking about Fiji dwarf seedlings)

• Like 1

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

1 minute ago, GottmitAlex said:

Do you know if they ship to California?

(Talking about Fiji dwarf seedlings)

They don't ship at all to my knowledge they don't even let you browse at the nursery they bring it to the gate and then you get it and leave and they are only open from 6pm to 7:30pm for pickups very strict im going next week Wednesday and ill create a thread showing the palms and update it with pics every so often of the palms.

4 minutes ago, Plantking165 said:

Okay.  Thanks.  I would love to have some Jamaican Talls small enough to ship safely in a box.

John

Just now, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Okay.  Thanks.  I would love to have some Jamaican Talls small enough to ship safely in a box.

John

Yeah I would too but I think it's gonna be fiji and red spicata for me I had 4 months ago dug up my previous coconut it died ti freeze and bipolaris incurvata disease hopefully it doesn't kill my new coconuts ill be trying to manage the disease best I can.

13 minutes ago, Plantking165 said:

They don't ship at all to my knowledge they don't even let you browse at the nursery they bring it to the gate and then you get it and leave and they are only open from 6pm to 7:30pm for pickups very strict im going next week Wednesday and ill create a thread showing the palms and update it with pics every so often of the palms.

Ahh shame.

I've tried haari Papua/raguroa red cocos (the most cold sensitive of all cocos) and R.I.P. 

The only dwarf coco I have not tried is the Fiji dwarf (they're all green). I believe the Fiji have a fighting chance here. 

In my experience, green cocos are a tick more hardier than the golden ones.

Please send me a PM if you know of anyone willing to ship a Fiji dwarf seedlings to Commiefornia.

:D

Thanks!

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

3 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Ahh shame.

I've tried haari Papua/raguroa red cocos (the most cold sensitive of all cocos) and R.I.P. 

The only dwarf coco I have not tried is the Fiji dwarf (they're all green). I believe the Fiji have a fighting chance here. 

Please send me a PM if you know of anyone willing to ship a Fiji dwarf seedlings to Commiefornia.

Thanks!

Will do. I only know this place is the only one I've seen with fiji dwarfs ill be trying one in central Florida, almost tempted to go with the larger one because it has a better chance bc of it'd size 

• Like 1

Calusa Palms is where I got my Maypan, Panama Tall, and the Jamaican Talls that are currently in the ground.  To my knowledge, they don't ship.  Rather than going to the nursery, I usually look at their Show Schedule and email the owner what I want if they'll be at a show a little closer.

Here is their website: http://www.calusapalmsnursery.com/ 

I added them to the seller's forum a while back: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/53343-calusa-palms-nursery-llc/

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

3 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Calusa Palms is where I got my Maypan, Panama Tall, and the Jamaican Talls that are currently in the ground.  To my knowledge, they don't ship.  Rather than going to the nursery, I usually look at their Show Schedule and email the owner what I want if they'll be at a show a little closer.

Here is their website: http://www.calusapalmsnursery.com/ 

I added them to the seller's forum a while back: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/53343-calusa-palms-nursery-llc/

Yeah I wanted some talls but I figured I'll stick to dwarfs so I can protect them better, what one looks good on the fiji dwarfs the 15 or 7, both at the very base look like they have stated to trunk I hope not tho.

• Like 1

@Plantking165 They both look good to me.  If you want something smaller and easier to haul, go with the 7.  If you want to be closer to actually seeing coconuts coming off of them, go with the 15.

• Like 2

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

23 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Ahh shame.

Thanks!

Hey Alex,

Yeah the green varieties do seem to be more cold hardy than the Golden and Yellow varieties.  I have what I think is a Fiji Dwarf traded by a friend here for a Golden Malayan.  I don't think he knew it was a Fiji Dwarf when he brought it back as a sprout from Key West.  I didn't know either till about 2 or 3 weeks ago, and I have had the palm for about a year.  It is just since the last couple of leaves opened up, and the beautiful robust leaves, slightly slower growth rate than other varieties, and thicker trunk for such a short palm that I finally realized over the last couple of weeks that I think it is a Fiji Dwarf, and it got less Potassium deficiency in this chilly bad winter we just had than some of my others in pots, and it was left out along with my other potted ones on a night that got down to 31F (we were only predicted to get down into the mid 30's on that night for my area of Corpus Christi, so I left them out), and the freeze didn't even phase it other than some burning on the tips of its leaves.  I gave away another Fiji Dwarf I had a few years ago to the Plant Center at South Padre Island thinking that it would just be too sensitive to cold for my area, but after seeing how this one performed in our chilly bad winter we just had, I am definitely keeping this one and putting it in the ground next spring when it should be about 7 or 8ft. tall in overall height.  I did take it in on the coldest nights we had, but it being exposed to the 31F freeze and numerous nights in the mid and upper 30'sF and looking pretty good afterwards, makes me think they can handle more cold than you would think being from Fiji.  Maybe they are from higher chillier elevations in Fiji than beachfront varieties there.  From what I understand, it is the same way with the Green Hawaiian Tall, which is supposed to be more cold hardy than the Golden Hawaiian Tall, and is probably found growing at higher chillier elevations in Hawaii than the Golden Hawaiian Tall.  Of course, when I say growing at higher chillier elevations, I am not talking about the cold mountain tops on the Big Island where it snows in the winter time, just that they probably grow at a couple of thousand feet elevation higher than the Golden Hawaiian Talls, and in areas where it probably gets down into the 40'sF at night fairly frequently in December and January there.

John

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Hey Alex,

Yeah the green varieties do seem to be more cold hardy than the Golden and Yellow varieties.  I have what I think is a Fiji Dwarf traded by a friend here for a Golden Malayan.  I don't think he knew it was a Fiji Dwarf when he brought it back as a sprout from Key West.  I didn't know either till about 2 or 3 weeks ago, and I have had the palm for about a year.  It is just since the last couple of leaves opened up, and the beautiful robust leaves, slightly slower growth rate than other varieties, and thicker trunk for such a short palm that I finally realized over the last couple of weeks that I think it is a Fiji Dwarf, and it got less Potassium deficiency in this chilly bad winter we just had than some of my others in pots, and it was left out along with my other potted ones on a night that got down to 31F (we were only predicted to get down into the mid 30's on that night for my area of Corpus Christi, so I left them out), and the freeze didn't even phase it other than some burning on the tips of its leaves.  I gave away another Fiji Dwarf I had a few years ago to the Plant Center at South Padre Island thinking that it would just be too sensitive to cold for my area, but after seeing how this one performed in our chilly bad winter we just had, I am definitely keeping this one and putting it in the ground next spring when it should be about 7 or 8ft. tall in overall height.  I did take it in on the coldest nights we had, but it being exposed to the 31F freeze and numerous nights in the mid and upper 30'sF and looking pretty good afterwards, makes me think they can handle more cold than you would think being from Fiji.  Maybe they are from higher chillier elevations in Fiji than beachfront varieties there.  From what I understand, it is the same way with the Green Hawaiian Tall, which is supposed to be more cold hardy than the Golden Hawaiian Tall, and is probably found growing at higher chillier elevations in Hawaii than the Golden Hawaiian Tall.  Of course, when I say growing at higher chillier elevations, I am not talking about the cold mountain tops on the Big Island where it snows in the winter time, just that they probably grow at a couple of thousand feet elevation higher than the Golden Hawaiian Talls, and in areas where it probably gets down into the 40'sF at night fairly frequently in December and January there.

John

Do you have any pics of your fiji dwarf I can see im anxious to see others that have been growing it since I'll be growing one too.

9 hours ago, Plantking165 said:

Do you have any pics of your fiji dwarf I can see im anxious to see others that have been growing it since I'll be growing one too.

I am sorry I can't take any photos with my phone right now.  I has too much junk on it, and I am having a hard time cleaning it up.  Maybe I can figure ot out tomorrow, and take a pic for you.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Plantking165 said:

Here is what I think is a Fiji Dwarf for the reasons I stated above.  Maybe I can get a better pic of it in the morning sun tomorrow morning.

John

received_1118836552180407.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Here is what I think is a Fiji Dwarf for the reasons I stated above.  Maybe I can get a better pic of it in the morning sun tomorrow morning.

John

How old is it, looks like atleast one parent is a Fiji Dwarf, can't wait to come home with mine in a couple days I'm gonna create a thread and make sure to keep it updated hopefully if I get them in the ground by June they will be established enough to take the winter well.

1 hour ago, Plantking165 said:

How old is it, looks like atleast one parent is a Fiji Dwarf, can't wait to come home with mine in a couple days I'm gonna create a thread and make sure to keep it updated hopefully if I get them in the ground by June they will be established enough to take the winter well.

I am not sure exactly.  I got it from a friend in a swap for a Golden Malayan Dwarf I had.  I quit trying to grow those and the Yellow Malayan Dwarfs in my yard, because they just don't have enough cold tolerance to make it here, but he lives on North Padre Island in a canal home, and it is a wide, fairly deep canal to the north and west of his yard, so he would have a better chance of getting the Golden Malayan to survive in his yard than I would in my yard.  As I recall, it was about 2 ft. tall when I got it from him last year, so it hasn't grown much.  I think the Fiji Dwarfs are slower growing with shorter more robust leaves and a little thicker trunk than other varieties their same height.

John

6 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

John

That's my recovering Panama Tall in the ground in the background, that made it through 4 freezes and about 20 nights total with lows in the 30'sF this past winter.  I only wrapped it and my in ground Green Malayan two nights this past winter, and they are both recovering and growing again.  The Green Malayan, which is up by my house in the same spot that my mature big one with nuts on it was before the Big Freeze, is actually recovering a little faster than my Panama Tall, and actually already has a healthy normal shaped spear rapidly emerging.  I am hoping they will both start producing woody trunk by about September, or October.

John

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yeah ill say the yellow and red ones have little cold tolerance that's why my main tree will be the fiji dwarf. Although red spicata are pretty to see I may just try one because it's a red spicata and for a good price too, hard to find.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Plantking165 said:

Yeah ill say the yellow and red ones have little cold tolerance that's why my main tree will be the fiji dwarf. Although red spicata are pretty to see I may just try one because it's a red spicata and for a good price too, hard to find.

The only variety with a golden/orangish colored petiole I have gotten to survive the winter here is my Panama Tall, which is about 10 ft. tall in overall height, and a Maymex hybrid (hybrid cross between a Mexican Tall and Golden Malayan Dwarf), but it didn't have as golden/orangish colored petioles as my Panama Tall does.  My Maymex hybrid was about 14 ft. tall in overall height and just barely starting to produce woody trunk when the Big Freeze killed it last year.

John

P.S.  They Yellow Malayan Dwarfs are the least cold hardy of the 3 Malayan Dwarfs, by the way.  It looks like you live in inland South Central Florida, so they certainly wouldn't be good for your area, even though their bright yellow petioles are very beautiful.  The only area over here where they have a good chance to make it through our winters is in the east side of Cameron County around Brownsville, Port Isabel, and South Padre Island, where I did see a mature Yellow Malayan Dwarf years ago before the Big Freeze.  The Red Spicatas are nice, but for my area, just don't have enough cold hardiness, but like the Yellow Malayans, would probably do okay in the Brownsville/South Padre area.

• Like 1

I do think it could be warmer in my area because I live in a neighborhood with a lake a couple streets down 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

The only variety with a golden/orangish colored petiole I have gotten to survive the winter here is my Panama Tall, which is about 10 ft. tall in overall height, and a Maymex hybrid (hybrid cross between a Mexican Tall and Golden Malayan Dwarf), but it didn't have as golden/orangish colored petioles as my Panama Tall does.  My Maymex hybrid was about 14 ft. tall in overall height and just barely starting to produce woody trunk when the Big Freeze killed it last year.

John

P.S.  They Yellow Malayan Dwarfs are the least cold hardy of the 3 Malayan Dwarfs, by the way.  It looks like you live in inland South Central Florida, so they certainly wouldn't be good for your area, even though their bright yellow petioles are very beautiful.  The only area over here where they have a good chance to make it through our winters is in the east side of Cameron County around Brownsville, Port Isabel, and South Padre Island, where I did see a mature Yellow Malayan Dwarf years ago before the Big Freeze.  The Red Spicatas are nice, but for my area, just don't have enough cold hardiness, but like the Yellow Malayans, would probably do okay in the Brownsville/South Padre area.

Exactly!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On the adventitous roots of this young potted coconut should plant it up to the trunk or plant it with those roots exposed because I've heard not to plant those roots in soil or mound soil up on them.Screenshot_20220523-151605_Gallery.thumb.jpg.8e57fb925587a61acdd542d26f175ece.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2022 at 5:33 PM, kinzyjr said:

@Plantking165 They both look good to me.  If you want something smaller and easier to haul, go with the 7.  If you want to be closer to actually seeing coconuts coming off of them, go with the 15.

Just picked up a true fiji dwarf and red spicata man they look beautiful it does have a little spiraling white fly, I talked to the guy he even led me around his nursery and showed me his mature fijis and red spicata and gave me a huge discount for the drive and what now super nice guy his coconuts were gorgeous and super healthy.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Cluster said:

I suppose you have no pictures about the mature ones?:)

I took pictures ofc it wasn't the best pics but the pictures of his red spicatas I wish I would have took pic's of them all and the internet pic's of fiji dwarf does not compare to his mature ones they are huge the base of the trunk was about 3+ ft across absolutely massive to stand under. It won't let me upload the pics of the fiji dwarfs too big a file ig but man they were a sight to behold i was pretty much speeches, the last couple pics are of my fiji dwarf and red spicata 3gal and the fiji is a 7gal, trip was worth the long drive ok I zoomed in a bit on the pics of the fiji dwarf so you don't get to see the full thing but it's still some of it and just wow it was a beauty.

20220525_182949.jpg

20220525_182951.jpg

20220525_183009.jpg

20220526_065742.jpg

20220526_065649.jpg

20220526_065657.jpg

20220526_065701.jpg

Screenshot_20220526-121747_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220526-121804_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Plantking165
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3