Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Plantking165

Coconut palm base trunk

Recommended Posts

Plantking165

How does the trunk look on this 15 gallon dwarf coconut, worth getting it or is the trunk not thick enough? It's a fiji dwarf.Screenshot_20220519-135131_Gallery.thumb.jpg.9b1c49fdc4ac89e3b047e73b382e8c8a.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plantking165

Here are pics of the 7 gal and 15 gal have either started trunking yet? And is the trunk in good shape, what one would you go with?

received_727457585115447.jpeg

received_1696685134012787.jpeg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Coconut Palm
4 hours ago, Plantking165 said:

Here are pics of the 7 gal and 15 gal have either started trunking yet? And is the trunk in good shape, what one would you go with?

received_727457585115447.jpeg

received_1696685134012787.jpeg

Though the one in the last pic has a bigger crown, it looks more ragged overall than the other one, so maybe go with the one in the second pic.

John

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plantking165
1 minute ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Though the one in the last pic has a bigger crown, it looks more ragged overall than the other one, so maybe go with the one in the second pic.

John

So the 7 gallon looks better, they both look like they have some trunk at the base it worries me that it won't get any bigger than that and stay thinner like that at the base. I'm no coconut expert but I'm also if I go with the smaller one I'll get a red spicata 3gal too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Coconut Palm
6 minutes ago, Plantking165 said:

So the 7 gallon looks better, they both look like they have some trunk at the base it worries me that it won't get any bigger than that and stay thinner like that at the base. I'm no coconut expert but I'm also if I go with the smaller one I'll get a red spicata 3gal too

I think the smaller one actually looks a little better.  The leaves look more normal for a Fiji Dwarf.  Get it and a Red Spicata too.  I am curios, where are they at?  I am looking for sources for different varieties.

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plantking165
Just now, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

I think the smaller one actually looks a little better.  The leaves look more normal for a Fiji Dwarf.  Get it and a Red Spicata too.  I am curios, where are they at?  I am looking for sources for different varieties.

John

It's at calusa palms they are down it naples it's quite a drive and Made only by appointment for pickup so yeah then I'll probably go with the 7g and a red spicata they also have yellow spicata in a 45g and Jamaican tall for 15 bucks

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex
Just now, Plantking165 said:

It's at calusa palms they are down it naples it's quite a drive and Made only by appointment for pickup so yeah then I'll probably go with the 7g and a red spicata they also have yellow spicata in a 45g and Jamaican tall for 15 bucks

Do you know if they ship to California?

(Talking about Fiji dwarf seedlings)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plantking165
1 minute ago, GottmitAlex said:

Do you know if they ship to California?

(Talking about Fiji dwarf seedlings)

They don't ship at all to my knowledge they don't even let you browse at the nursery they bring it to the gate and then you get it and leave and they are only open from 6pm to 7:30pm for pickups very strict im going next week Wednesday and ill create a thread showing the palms and update it with pics every so often of the palms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Coconut Palm
4 minutes ago, Plantking165 said:

It's at calusa palms they are down it naples it's quite a drive and Made only by appointment for pickup so yeah then I'll probably go with the 7g and a red spicata they also have yellow spicata in a 45g and Jamaican tall for 15 bucks

Okay.  Thanks.  I would love to have some Jamaican Talls small enough to ship safely in a box.

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plantking165
Just now, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Okay.  Thanks.  I would love to have some Jamaican Talls small enough to ship safely in a box.

John

Yeah I would too but I think it's gonna be fiji and red spicata for me I had 4 months ago dug up my previous coconut it died ti freeze and bipolaris incurvata disease hopefully it doesn't kill my new coconuts ill be trying to manage the disease best I can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex
13 minutes ago, Plantking165 said:

They don't ship at all to my knowledge they don't even let you browse at the nursery they bring it to the gate and then you get it and leave and they are only open from 6pm to 7:30pm for pickups very strict im going next week Wednesday and ill create a thread showing the palms and update it with pics every so often of the palms.

Ahh shame.

I've tried haari Papua/raguroa red cocos (the most cold sensitive of all cocos) and R.I.P. 

The only dwarf coco I have not tried is the Fiji dwarf (they're all green). I believe the Fiji have a fighting chance here. 

In my experience, green cocos are a tick more hardier than the golden ones.

 

Please send me a PM if you know of anyone willing to ship a Fiji dwarf seedlings to Commiefornia.

:D

Thanks!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plantking165
3 minutes ago, GottmitAlex said:

Ahh shame.

I've tried haari Papua/raguroa red cocos (the most cold sensitive of all cocos) and R.I.P. 

The only dwarf coco I have not tried is the Fiji dwarf (they're all green). I believe the Fiji have a fighting chance here. 

In my experience, green cocos are a tick more hardier than the golden ones.

 

Please send me a PM if you know of anyone willing to ship a Fiji dwarf seedlings to Commiefornia.

:D

Thanks!

 

Will do. I only know this place is the only one I've seen with fiji dwarfs ill be trying one in central Florida, almost tempted to go with the larger one because it has a better chance bc of it'd size 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr

Calusa Palms is where I got my Maypan, Panama Tall, and the Jamaican Talls that are currently in the ground.  To my knowledge, they don't ship.  Rather than going to the nursery, I usually look at their Show Schedule and email the owner what I want if they'll be at a show a little closer.

Here is their website: http://www.calusapalmsnursery.com/ 

I added them to the seller's forum a while back: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/53343-calusa-palms-nursery-llc/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plantking165
3 hours ago, kinzyjr said:

Calusa Palms is where I got my Maypan, Panama Tall, and the Jamaican Talls that are currently in the ground.  To my knowledge, they don't ship.  Rather than going to the nursery, I usually look at their Show Schedule and email the owner what I want if they'll be at a show a little closer.

Here is their website: http://www.calusapalmsnursery.com/ 

I added them to the seller's forum a while back: https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/53343-calusa-palms-nursery-llc/

Yeah I wanted some talls but I figured I'll stick to dwarfs so I can protect them better, what one looks good on the fiji dwarfs the 15 or 7, both at the very base look like they have stated to trunk I hope not tho.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kinzyjr

@Plantking165 They both look good to me.  If you want something smaller and easier to haul, go with the 7.  If you want to be closer to actually seeing coconuts coming off of them, go with the 15.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Coconut Palm
23 hours ago, GottmitAlex said:

Ahh shame.

I've tried haari Papua/raguroa red cocos (the most cold sensitive of all cocos) and R.I.P. 

The only dwarf coco I have not tried is the Fiji dwarf (they're all green). I believe the Fiji have a fighting chance here. 

In my experience, green cocos are a tick more hardier than the golden ones.

 

Please send me a PM if you know of anyone willing to ship a Fiji dwarf seedlings to Commiefornia.

:D

Thanks!

 

Hey Alex,

Yeah the green varieties do seem to be more cold hardy than the Golden and Yellow varieties.  I have what I think is a Fiji Dwarf traded by a friend here for a Golden Malayan.  I don't think he knew it was a Fiji Dwarf when he brought it back as a sprout from Key West.  I didn't know either till about 2 or 3 weeks ago, and I have had the palm for about a year.  It is just since the last couple of leaves opened up, and the beautiful robust leaves, slightly slower growth rate than other varieties, and thicker trunk for such a short palm that I finally realized over the last couple of weeks that I think it is a Fiji Dwarf, and it got less Potassium deficiency in this chilly bad winter we just had than some of my others in pots, and it was left out along with my other potted ones on a night that got down to 31F (we were only predicted to get down into the mid 30's on that night for my area of Corpus Christi, so I left them out), and the freeze didn't even phase it other than some burning on the tips of its leaves.  I gave away another Fiji Dwarf I had a few years ago to the Plant Center at South Padre Island thinking that it would just be too sensitive to cold for my area, but after seeing how this one performed in our chilly bad winter we just had, I am definitely keeping this one and putting it in the ground next spring when it should be about 7 or 8ft. tall in overall height.  I did take it in on the coldest nights we had, but it being exposed to the 31F freeze and numerous nights in the mid and upper 30'sF and looking pretty good afterwards, makes me think they can handle more cold than you would think being from Fiji.  Maybe they are from higher chillier elevations in Fiji than beachfront varieties there.  From what I understand, it is the same way with the Green Hawaiian Tall, which is supposed to be more cold hardy than the Golden Hawaiian Tall, and is probably found growing at higher chillier elevations in Hawaii than the Golden Hawaiian Tall.  Of course, when I say growing at higher chillier elevations, I am not talking about the cold mountain tops on the Big Island where it snows in the winter time, just that they probably grow at a couple of thousand feet elevation higher than the Golden Hawaiian Talls, and in areas where it probably gets down into the 40'sF at night fairly frequently in December and January there.

John

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plantking165
37 minutes ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Hey Alex,

Yeah the green varieties do seem to be more cold hardy than the Golden and Yellow varieties.  I have what I think is a Fiji Dwarf traded by a friend here for a Golden Malayan.  I don't think he knew it was a Fiji Dwarf when he brought it back as a sprout from Key West.  I didn't know either till about 2 or 3 weeks ago, and I have had the palm for about a year.  It is just since the last couple of leaves opened up, and the beautiful robust leaves, slightly slower growth rate than other varieties, and thicker trunk for such a short palm that I finally realized over the last couple of weeks that I think it is a Fiji Dwarf, and it got less Potassium deficiency in this chilly bad winter we just had than some of my others in pots, and it was left out along with my other potted ones on a night that got down to 31F (we were only predicted to get down into the mid 30's on that night for my area of Corpus Christi, so I left them out), and the freeze didn't even phase it other than some burning on the tips of its leaves.  I gave away another Fiji Dwarf I had a few years ago to the Plant Center at South Padre Island thinking that it would just be too sensitive to cold for my area, but after seeing how this one performed in our chilly bad winter we just had, I am definitely keeping this one and putting it in the ground next spring when it should be about 7 or 8ft. tall in overall height.  I did take it in on the coldest nights we had, but it being exposed to the 31F freeze and numerous nights in the mid and upper 30'sF and looking pretty good afterwards, makes me think they can handle more cold than you would think being from Fiji.  Maybe they are from higher chillier elevations in Fiji than beachfront varieties there.  From what I understand, it is the same way with the Green Hawaiian Tall, which is supposed to be more cold hardy than the Golden Hawaiian Tall, and is probably found growing at higher chillier elevations in Hawaii than the Golden Hawaiian Tall.  Of course, when I say growing at higher chillier elevations, I am not talking about the cold mountain tops on the Big Island where it snows in the winter time, just that they probably grow at a couple of thousand feet elevation higher than the Golden Hawaiian Talls, and in areas where it probably gets down into the 40'sF at night fairly frequently in December and January there.

John

Do you have any pics of your fiji dwarf I can see im anxious to see others that have been growing it since I'll be growing one too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Coconut Palm
9 hours ago, Plantking165 said:

Do you have any pics of your fiji dwarf I can see im anxious to see others that have been growing it since I'll be growing one too.

I am sorry I can't take any photos with my phone right now.  I has too much junk on it, and I am having a hard time cleaning it up.  Maybe I can figure ot out tomorrow, and take a pic for you.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Coconut Palm
18 hours ago, Plantking165 said:

Do you have any pics of your fiji dwarf I can see im anxious to see others that have been growing it since I'll be growing one too.

Here is what I think is a Fiji Dwarf for the reasons I stated above.  Maybe I can get a better pic of it in the morning sun tomorrow morning.

John

 

received_1118836552180407.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plantking165
4 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Here is what I think is a Fiji Dwarf for the reasons I stated above.  Maybe I can get a better pic of it in the morning sun tomorrow morning.

John

 

received_1118836552180407.jpeg

How old is it, looks like atleast one parent is a Fiji Dwarf, can't wait to come home with mine in a couple days I'm gonna create a thread and make sure to keep it updated hopefully if I get them in the ground by June they will be established enough to take the winter well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Coconut Palm
1 hour ago, Plantking165 said:

How old is it, looks like atleast one parent is a Fiji Dwarf, can't wait to come home with mine in a couple days I'm gonna create a thread and make sure to keep it updated hopefully if I get them in the ground by June they will be established enough to take the winter well.

I am not sure exactly.  I got it from a friend in a swap for a Golden Malayan Dwarf I had.  I quit trying to grow those and the Yellow Malayan Dwarfs in my yard, because they just don't have enough cold tolerance to make it here, but he lives on North Padre Island in a canal home, and it is a wide, fairly deep canal to the north and west of his yard, so he would have a better chance of getting the Golden Malayan to survive in his yard than I would in my yard.  As I recall, it was about 2 ft. tall when I got it from him last year, so it hasn't grown much.  I think the Fiji Dwarfs are slower growing with shorter more robust leaves and a little thicker trunk than other varieties their same height.

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Coconut Palm
6 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

Here is what I think is a Fiji Dwarf for the reasons I stated above.  Maybe I can get a better pic of it in the morning sun tomorrow morning.

John

 

received_1118836552180407.jpeg

That's my recovering Panama Tall in the ground in the background, that made it through 4 freezes and about 20 nights total with lows in the 30'sF this past winter.  I only wrapped it and my in ground Green Malayan two nights this past winter, and they are both recovering and growing again.  The Green Malayan, which is up by my house in the same spot that my mature big one with nuts on it was before the Big Freeze, is actually recovering a little faster than my Panama Tall, and actually already has a healthy normal shaped spear rapidly emerging.  I am hoping they will both start producing woody trunk by about September, or October.

John

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plantking165

Hopefully so, I'll be hoping for trunk next year maybe

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plantking165

Yeah ill say the yellow and red ones have little cold tolerance that's why my main tree will be the fiji dwarf. Although red spicata are pretty to see I may just try one because it's a red spicata and for a good price too, hard to find.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mr. Coconut Palm
2 hours ago, Plantking165 said:

Yeah ill say the yellow and red ones have little cold tolerance that's why my main tree will be the fiji dwarf. Although red spicata are pretty to see I may just try one because it's a red spicata and for a good price too, hard to find.

The only variety with a golden/orangish colored petiole I have gotten to survive the winter here is my Panama Tall, which is about 10 ft. tall in overall height, and a Maymex hybrid (hybrid cross between a Mexican Tall and Golden Malayan Dwarf), but it didn't have as golden/orangish colored petioles as my Panama Tall does.  My Maymex hybrid was about 14 ft. tall in overall height and just barely starting to produce woody trunk when the Big Freeze killed it last year.

John

P.S.  They Yellow Malayan Dwarfs are the least cold hardy of the 3 Malayan Dwarfs, by the way.  It looks like you live in inland South Central Florida, so they certainly wouldn't be good for your area, even though their bright yellow petioles are very beautiful.  The only area over here where they have a good chance to make it through our winters is in the east side of Cameron County around Brownsville, Port Isabel, and South Padre Island, where I did see a mature Yellow Malayan Dwarf years ago before the Big Freeze.  The Red Spicatas are nice, but for my area, just don't have enough cold hardiness, but like the Yellow Malayans, would probably do okay in the Brownsville/South Padre area.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plantking165

I do think it could be warmer in my area because I live in a neighborhood with a lake a couple streets down 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GottmitAlex
8 hours ago, Mr. Coconut Palm said:

The only variety with a golden/orangish colored petiole I have gotten to survive the winter here is my Panama Tall, which is about 10 ft. tall in overall height, and a Maymex hybrid (hybrid cross between a Mexican Tall and Golden Malayan Dwarf), but it didn't have as golden/orangish colored petioles as my Panama Tall does.  My Maymex hybrid was about 14 ft. tall in overall height and just barely starting to produce woody trunk when the Big Freeze killed it last year.

John

P.S.  They Yellow Malayan Dwarfs are the least cold hardy of the 3 Malayan Dwarfs, by the way.  It looks like you live in inland South Central Florida, so they certainly wouldn't be good for your area, even though their bright yellow petioles are very beautiful.  The only area over here where they have a good chance to make it through our winters is in the east side of Cameron County around Brownsville, Port Isabel, and South Padre Island, where I did see a mature Yellow Malayan Dwarf years ago before the Big Freeze.  The Red Spicatas are nice, but for my area, just don't have enough cold hardiness, but like the Yellow Malayans, would probably do okay in the Brownsville/South Padre area.

Exactly!

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plantking165

On the adventitous roots of this young potted coconut should plant it up to the trunk or plant it with those roots exposed because I've heard not to plant those roots in soil or mound soil up on them.Screenshot_20220523-151605_Gallery.thumb.jpg.8e57fb925587a61acdd542d26f175ece.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plantking165
On 5/20/2022 at 5:33 PM, kinzyjr said:

@Plantking165 They both look good to me.  If you want something smaller and easier to haul, go with the 7.  If you want to be closer to actually seeing coconuts coming off of them, go with the 15.

Just picked up a true fiji dwarf and red spicata man they look beautiful it does have a little spiraling white fly, I talked to the guy he even led me around his nursery and showed me his mature fijis and red spicata and gave me a huge discount for the drive and what now super nice guy his coconuts were gorgeous and super healthy.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Cluster

I suppose you have no pictures about the mature ones?:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plantking165
3 hours ago, Cluster said:

I suppose you have no pictures about the mature ones?:)

I took pictures ofc it wasn't the best pics but the pictures of his red spicatas I wish I would have took pic's of them all and the internet pic's of fiji dwarf does not compare to his mature ones they are huge the base of the trunk was about 3+ ft across absolutely massive to stand under. It won't let me upload the pics of the fiji dwarfs too big a file ig but man they were a sight to behold i was pretty much speeches, the last couple pics are of my fiji dwarf and red spicata 3gal and the fiji is a 7gal, trip was worth the long drive ok I zoomed in a bit on the pics of the fiji dwarf so you don't get to see the full thing but it's still some of it and just wow it was a beauty.

20220525_182949.jpg

20220525_182951.jpg

20220525_183009.jpg

20220526_065742.jpg

20220526_065649.jpg

20220526_065657.jpg

20220526_065701.jpg

Screenshot_20220526-121747_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220526-121804_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Plantking165
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Similar Content

    • Plantking165
      By Plantking165
      Something new I've noticed on my coconut fronds especially one of the newer fronds not completely new its an upper canopy frond, is a yellowish more brownish tinge to the leaves and its concerning because it's a newer frond anyone have this experience before? I can get pics of the color tomorrow morning but there also is some redish brown spots that are drying out and I can see it forming around different spots and different fronds anyone know what both of these problems are.
    • Adi
      By Adi
      So I have this coconut seedling I got about a month ago. I have no idea what's going on or what to do and REALLY need help as you will see. I recently transplanted it a week ago from the pot it was sent in. Got from fast growing trees. The soil is a mix of tropical potting mix I got from Walmart, neem cake powder I got from Amazon, pink Himalayan salt because that's what I had and all I had the money for, and loam soil I got from Etsy. It seems like no matter how much research I do it continues to die. Although coconut growing information is really scattered and spotty on the internet. I water it every 4-5 days and watered it after transplanting. I leave it outside, but now do my best to leave it in a shady spot that gets as little direct sunlight as possible. I really really need help. Before I posted this I snipped a leaf that was sun burnt which you will see.  Any help will be much appreciated. I live in GA btw.









    • Adi
      By Adi
      https://www.reddit.com/r/plantclinic/comments/vg0m83/coconut_seedling_root_rot_or_no/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share
       
       
      I am repotting and want to make sure their is no root rot. Would someone be si kind as to confirm yes or no for me. Thank you. 
    • rttunc
      By rttunc
      Any fertilizer suggestions for a semi-novice that tends to struggle with appropriate measurements?!?  I worry about not using enough but then also overdoing it!  Are the spikes any good?  I just moved to south Florida and have really taken advantage of it with my palm collection, but am limited to having them in pots for the foreseeable future.  Any (affordable and easy to find) recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
    • Plantking165
      By Plantking165
      On my coconut palm most the fronds have alot I'd issues but with what seems a petiole or rachis blight is not too bad on the lower fronds but on the upper frond one of the newer ones and largest fronds is severely diseased not sure why it's worse on this one frond vs all the rest bit I was thinking of removing it or should I leave it? Look where the leaflets attach to the petiole thats the main disease I'm talking about. Some of these pics are about a week or 2 ago its worse now its spreading across the petiole and turning the underside of the petiole near the tip black.





×
×
  • Create New...