IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PSSC's June 18, 2022 Meeting in Huntington Beach!

DoomsDave

Dear Palm Lovers:

We at the PSSC are enormously pleased to announce that we will be holding our Saturday, June 18, 2022, PSSC meeting at the homes and gardens of John Boyer at 21561 Archer Circle, and Guy Young at 21551 Archer Circle, in Huntington Beach, CA 92646. 

We have visited both of these gardens in the past, and they are better than ever. Both John and Guy have engaged in remodels of their homes and gardens. You'll note the changes and love the things they kept, we promise! One thing they kept was their friendship gate in the backyard for easy access to each garden from the other. If that's not friendship, what is?

John Boyer removed his front lawn and replaced it with this rainbow-colored fantasy of Ti plants, bromeliads, and palms, including a soaring Bismarckia. His backyard still has all the glorious specimens we love: a large Teddy Bear, big Rhopalistylus, New Calendonians, and a fabulous Arenga hookeriana, which is a kind of palm you normally see in Hawaii or other truly tropical areas. Plus so much more.

Guy remodeled his house, oh boy did he ever, and the garden too. Among other things, he planted three 20 gallon-plus sized Ravenea julietae out front. But, out back, the same glorious garden that we loved before. These include tall Roystoneas, New Calendonians, Dypsis, Rhopalistylus, Prtichardtias, Bismarckias and other palms, plus numerous smaller newer plants like bromeliads. 

POTLUCK LUNCH
We'll be having a potluck lunch with chicken provided. Bring your favorite dish to share; meat, vegetables, dessert, or any combination all greatly appreciated. Make it yourself, or buy and bring it - if you like it, we will too! If it's grandma's favorite recipe, so much the better. We don't care if your grandma was from Milwaukee, Mumbai or Monterrey. Come feast on food, and the joint joys of palms and good fellowship on a glorious almost-summer day.  

AUCTION
There will be an auction at this meeting. Donors have a choice of donating 100% of the proceeds to the PSSC (we appreciate that!) or 50% (we appreciate that, too!) The focus is on rare palms, in 1 to 5 gallon containers, though larger ones will be accepted. Also good are nice palm-themed objects d'art, and other exotic plants, including but not limited to, bromeliads, fancy Ficus, etc. We accept credit cards, checks, and good old cash, though, due to expenses relating to credit card transactions, we greatly appreciate cash and checks, if possible.

As everyone is aware, the Covid 19 pandemic, and the forced closures of group events has hurt the PSSC's finances badly as the auction is a vital source of funding for the PSSC. The recent "re-start" auctions have helped a great deal, but more is needed; your participation by donating and buying will help immensely. If you have a question about a possible donation, contact Dave Bleistein at 323-481-5071 via text or email at urkurk2000@gmail.com

Since we have a limited time in which to conduct the auction, we ask that donors provide plants that will realistically sell for at least $20. Please no Washingtonias, Phoenix canariensis, etc. We also appreciate liners and "freebie" plants as well for the plant raffle.

Thanks to all of our donors! 

COVID-19 PROTOCOLS

In keeping with guidance by the U.S. CDC, the State of California, and the County of Orange, face masks are NOT REQUIRED outdoors for those who have been fully vaccinated against Covid 19. As in previous meetings, masking protocols will be on the honor system. Those who wish to "mask up" voluntarily are absolutely welcome, but not required, to do so.  

ITINERARY

9:30 a.m. PSSC Board meeting in Boyer Garden.

10:30 a.m. Tours of the Boyer and Young gardens.

12:00 p.m. Potluck lunch 

1:00 p.m. general meeting 

1:30 p.m. auction 

4:00 p.m. adjourn 

• Like 2

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here’s a front view of John’s place.

816CA47F-F4EF-4914-AC54-7640D2D6ED74.thumb.jpeg.a9646fe9a7506fd0651c6c642bf2a1e7.jpeg

• Like 2

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you excited yet? Quivering with anticipation?

You had best believe that a wonderful time will be had by all!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

:ttiwwp:

* Wasn’t able to make it, but would love to see photos if available.. Saw photos from a past meeting at this location and it looks amazing. Curious how the plants have changed.

• Like 1

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

• 2 weeks later...

@iDesign and all. I took a couple videos of Guy’s place. Hopefully you can see them. On a side note: both places were absolutely ridiculous for Plant People. Definitely bummed leaving there and pulling in my driveway. 

-dale

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

….and a couple pics of the epic Koi pond, Damaropsis and Ti’s among others. Across the pool is a huge Dypsis Bef and Hedycepe. That’s all I got. It was a bit if sensory overload. 

-dale

C38E16B6-7ED3-4E9F-A736-CC78D4344ADD.jpeg

8A2610B8-A783-45CD-8630-140FD54218D6.jpeg

0C4FA7DB-26CF-4DC3-A726-0783C475E4F8.jpeg

• Upvote 1