IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Copernicia rigida

aztropic

Copernicia rigida finally found it's stride after being planted in ground about 15 years ago. Now producing about 3 new fronds per year,each about 3 feet long. Not a commonly planted cope,partly due to rarity,and the fact that it will reach out and grab you with it's teeth lining the frond edges their entire length. :greenthumb:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

IMG_20220517_091632401_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220517_091611371_HDR.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Here's the one I'm growing here on east Hawaii Island. Seeds from RPS in Dec 2006, planted out from 2-gal pot in Sept 2014. Blocks, hat for scale. I haven't had much luck growing these as seedlings. Very low germination rates and low seedling survivor rates, and the one shown below was the only one I had to plant.

1086358642_Coperniciarigida_MLM_051822.thumb.JPG.29016a0ee13c2bfe641aa35cb726f5fb.JPG

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Gulp!!! 15 years, whoa!!?

• Like 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Yep. I can grow many species of Caribbean palms in Arizona,but at nowheres near the speed they grow in S Florida. Only 5% humidity here,and daytime high to night time low temps are often a 20-30 degree F swing. During our winter and summer seasons,many palms literally stop growing due to the extreme temps. Most growth occurs March-May,then again September-November. Definitely not a good place to grow most palms commercially.:unsure:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Well, I can only relate to my experience, so here it goes:

In spring 2018 I germinated a bunch of Hospitas from seed. The seed source was RPS. I placed them in a communal pot and most of them germinated.  When they were one year old I pulled them all out of the communal pot and into individual pots. At this time they all had 1 or 2 strap leaves.  It was very clear that some of them were more robust than the others. The more robust ones, since they were larger went into 2-3 gal. pots. The smaller ones went into 1 gal. pots. I only had two fatalities from moving them into their own pots which left with about a dozen plants.

In that Second year of growth the new strap leaves were coming out very blue in color.

All of mine are still in pots. They seem to grow about as fast as my non-trunking Sabals that are in ground.  All the pots are located on the South facing side of my house where it can be brutally hot with some reflected heat off of the house.

I've attached some pics of the two largest specimens, which started the 1st palmate leaves last year (4th growth season).

Also are two pics of the less robust ones that are still in strap leave phase.

These pics don't do the blue coloring justice, it's quite intense. So I would say that you should hopefully see some blue color starting as early as the 2nd strap leaf.

-Matt

20220520_101452.jpg

20220520_101436.jpg

20220520_101429.jpg

20220520_101423.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/24/2022 at 1:00 PM, JubaeaMan138 said:

In 100 years 😝

You need to take extra care of yourself to see the first flower then !!! lol