IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PlantDaddy

I finally purchased the Beccariophoenix Alfredii here in Orlando Fl. I can’t wait to see how this beautiful palm responds in zone 9b. 

23D1D656-F402-44D8-A1E8-F66374E3C174.jpeg

BDAB905E-B00E-4D87-93B2-04DC11F180DA.jpeg

EB307903-07B1-4DFD-9A15-39E40072466D.jpeg

50A4F8BF-07E5-4612-AA24-F4B75B755D80.jpeg

1CF6F220-CE03-429E-A606-B7A5E9CFD78D.jpeg

EF1107E1-9226-4908-B65A-2B868478DDAD.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

@PlantDaddy Welcome to PalmTalk!

Judging by the others in the area, you should have success with this.

• Upvote 1

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

I was looking at a lot of zone 10ish palms in Savannah / Hilton Head today thinking, I hope another zone 8 winter doesn't come for a few years.  Even Orlando might drop to 20 F someday.  But until then, enjoy it for now, because you might be dead by the next time that happens.  I mean that in the positive sense.  Even 4 years of an alfredii is worth it.

• Upvote 3

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

10 hours ago, VA Jeff said:

I was looking at a lot of zone 10ish palms in Savannah / Hilton Head today thinking, I hope another zone 8 winter doesn't come for a few years.  Even Orlando might drop to 20 F someday.  But until then, enjoy it for now, because you might be dead by the next time that happens.  I mean that in the positive sense.  Even 4 years of an alfredii is worth it.

It reached 27 where I’m at. I’m 30 minutes east of Cocoa Beach. I had 48 palms survive the freeze except for a few of my smaller Foxtails. 
I hope I get a couple years of rooting before the next big freeze. 

On 5/18/2022 at 5:04 PM, PlantDaddy said:

I finally purchased the Beccariophoenix Alfredii here in Orlando Fl. I can’t wait to see how this beautiful palm responds in zone 9b. 

23D1D656-F402-44D8-A1E8-F66374E3C174.jpeg

BDAB905E-B00E-4D87-93B2-04DC11F180DA.jpeg

EB307903-07B1-4DFD-9A15-39E40072466D.jpeg

50A4F8BF-07E5-4612-AA24-F4B75B755D80.jpeg

1CF6F220-CE03-429E-A606-B7A5E9CFD78D.jpeg

EF1107E1-9226-4908-B65A-2B868478DDAD.jpeg

Awesome looking foxtails! What’s the coldest they’ve seen? 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, VA Jeff said:

What were you looking at, I live in Charleston and I have quit a few queen palms, I planted two foxtails this spring so we’ll see how that goes 

1 hour ago, South Carolina palms said:

Awesome looking foxtails! What’s the coldest they’ve seen? 

I have 14 Foxtails here in 9b. They just survived this 27 degree Winter with hardly no damage. I have a couple neighbors who’s Foxtails died but they had just planted them within the year. I have had my in the ground for 2-3 years if that makes a difference. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, South Carolina palms said:

What were you looking at, I live in Charleston and I have quit a few queen palms, I planted two foxtails this spring so we’ll see how that goes 

There was a guy named Brian that lived in Charleston about a decade ago.  He had a king palm that survived a few years.  I did see a queen palm in a courtyard in Charleston several months ago.  It is closer to the ocean the Savannah by a little bit.  I think with frost cloth, you could grow a queen for 30 years or more, hopefully.  If I buy a place down here in Savannah, I'll start growing a lot of things I always considered way out of reach for zone 8a where I'm from.  That being said, I did get a mule palm through the winter with little protection, but it lost much of its foliage.  After cutting off the brown parts, it has a shuttlecock look now.  I think mules are a very good choice for Charleston or Savannah.  They usually don't get damage here, from the times I've been here over the years.  Too bad people don't plant them more.  Even queens are more common here.

The foxtails aren't long term for Charleston, but enjoy them while you can.  If you're willing to eventually lose them, who cares what anyone else thinks.  I personally consider king palms to be prettier, and slightly hardier.  I managed to keep a couple euterpe edulis alive with some protection for several years.  Another possibility for your area with frostcloth.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

God bless America...

and everywhere else too.

4 hours ago, VA Jeff said:

There was a guy named Brian that lived in Charleston about a decade ago.  He had a king palm that survived a few years.  I did see a queen palm in a courtyard in Charleston several months ago.  It is closer to the ocean the Savannah by a little bit.  I think with frost cloth, you could grow a queen for 30 years or more, hopefully.  If I buy a place down here in Savannah, I'll start growing a lot of things I always considered way out of reach for zone 8a where I'm from.  That being said, I did get a mule palm through the winter with little protection, but it lost much of its foliage.  After cutting off the brown parts, it has a shuttlecock look now.  I think mules are a very good choice for Charleston or Savannah.  They usually don't get damage here, from the times I've been here over the years.  Too bad people don't plant them more.  Even queens are more common here.

The foxtails aren't long term for Charleston, but enjoy them while you can.  If you're willing to eventually lose them, who cares what anyone else thinks.  I personally consider king palms to be prettier, and slightly hardier.  I managed to keep a couple euterpe edulis alive with some protection for several years.  Another possibility for your area with frostcloth.

Yeah I had one queen survive this past winter and I planted three more earlier this spring, but I’ve been wanting a king palm so if the foxtails die I’ll replace them with that