IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Archondophoenix palm issue

Lucy

Hello, I live in cyprus and I have a problem with my archondophoenix. I planted it 7 months ago. Unfortunately we had cold winter around 10 Celsius degrees. Now the temperature is around 30 Celsius degrees. 

Unfortunately there is poor water drainage and now in the summer I water it using drip irrigation system 15 minutes once a week. 

I don't know what to do to save it. 

Please help.

20220515_175720.jpg

20220515_175727.jpg

20220515_175734.jpg

20220515_175744.jpg

20220515_175748.jpg

At least one suffers from post greenhouse transplant shock (sulcking) and you irrigate way to sparingly. An Archy would only laugh at 10 C.  10 min daily is the minimum those plants would want.

Edited by Phoenikakias
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Look at mine, it is several years in the ground (distal half part of the leaves was removed, so that I could provide the plant winter protection), temperature up to now rarely touches the 27 C with still some occasional poor rainfall, I water it via a dripper 5 min every other day and on weekend an additional hose watering, and it still seems that it needs more water in order to explode with growth.

20220515_193329.thumb.jpg.7535d559afbebc19d70f6b35861b0ce6.jpg

Needs WAY more water than you are giving it... 1 hour of drip time every other day would be more like it. This species LOVES water! :beat_deadhorse:

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

10C is not too bad for Archontophoenix, they only start taking damage close to 0C and with frost. 

They love water, so it's not likely that you'd overwater them.  I have a couple of 2' tall ones planted directly downhill from a roof downspout.  They get probably 50+ gallons of water per afternoon running past them...  :)  Of course I am on sandy soil that drains away really fast, so there is never standing water here in Florida.  You mentioned poor drainage at your spot.  Is there standing water after your drip irrigation?  Telling the difference between too much water (root rot, standing water) and not enough water is sometimes difficult.  In your case I'd guess it's just not enough water for the temperature and sun.

Archontophoenix are impossible to overwater but very easy to under water. They will grow happily even in standing stagnant water. Poor drainage is actually a good thing with this genus. They often grow in swamps and in waterways in their natural habitats. Yours is getting way too little water. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

10 minutes ago, Lucy said:

I thought that there is root rot. Do you see any signs of fungal infection?

Not a characteristic with Archontophonix. I have groves of mature ones and some growing happily in stagnant water 365 days a year. They are semi-aquatic palms and root rot is not a worry with them unless perhaps they are being grown in a climate that’s way too cold for them at which point, there would be other problems with them. In mild climates, there’s no such thing as too much water. 

• Like 3

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

6 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Archontophoenix are impossible to overwater but very easy to under water. They will grow happily even in standing stagnant water. Poor drainage is actually a good thing with this genus. They often grow in swamps and in waterways in their natural habitats. Yours is getting way too little water. 

Good info, thanks!  I knew they lived at waterways, but didn't know they could tolerate stagnant swamps. :)