IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PNW Cold Spring

Las Palmas Norte

Colder than average is an understatement this Spring for many of at least coastal areas of the PNW. Rain totals are up in most areas and hours of sunshine are way down. It's feeling like February most days and I'm loosing Washingtonia seedlings as a result and the ones hanging on are not growing. We had 36°F / 2°C Friday, May 13, that left some light ephemeral roof top frost. Light drizzle and 52°F / 11°C today. Long range forecast has predictions for colder that normal temps thru the end of July. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It’s been pretty unfun this year for sure. I hope those predictions don’t hold. At least this weekend ended up better than they were calling for even up to yesterday. 20c and sunny, and the same tomorrow. Gives a chance for all the standing water to start to evaporate. Minimal growth in the palms this year, usually by now they’re really moving. 

• Like 1

It was a hot one here today, recorded 73 in the garden.  97 in the greenhouse!  When it's above 50 with afternoon sun, the indoor temperature raises, it got up to 77 inside today.  Good for the indoor plants and seeds.  

2020 was the year I started "exotic gardening".  It was pretty cool that year as well, seemed like it took forever for my bananas and Trachycarpus to do much of anything.  Seems like the first half of the summer, it was always 55-60f. 

• Like 3

Here's our local forecast. There's some hope in the coming days, but still below average temps. At least there's some much needed sun if the forecast if that comes to fruition.

Screenshot (31).png

• Like 1

That bums me out.  Hope summer treats y’all better.

• Like 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

We're averaging 10-20F below normal on any given day.  Average daytime temps around this year should be 70F/21C.  Generally by the second week of May we normally get a few pretty hot days  at least over 80f and as high as 100F.

• Like 1

Yup this spring SUCKS, brought all my smaller stuff back into the greenhouse couple weeks ago cuz they look like sh!t, All Alive but soggy, cold, and showing it. Although seeing who holds up best cuz this is the reality of PNW. Butia X Sunkha is probably handling it best, almost no spotting or yellowing, pushing growth green and fast!

• Like 2

I know weather follows no rhyme or reason to some extent, but a mild spring/summer may be followed by a mild winter.  The winter of 20/21, my lowest temp was 24F.  I'd love another zone 9 winter after last year's beat-down. 

I'm also hoping my grass will stay nicer, longer this summer. 

• Like 3

Yep.... I hear you Jessie...its been not good but my low for the year was 20.4...soo I agree ... it was tough at some points and my plants are about 2 to 3 weeks behind...but looks really wet here ..and who knows..

• Like 1

I've lost a lot of nice hybrid seedlings, most of my Washingtonia seedlings, a lot of spear pull on trachycarpus, spear pull on two good sized Jubaea X Butia hybrids.  Rotting Jubaea strap leaf seedlings.  Spear pull on my Frankenbraheas and Brahea armatas.   Zero new growth on my larger Jubaeas or Butias.  And the squirrels are digging up anything left alive.  Basically a slaughter out there.  The only bright side is that my largest fortunei is flowering for the first time this year.  It's a male.  Was hoping for female, but I have a neighbor I can share the pollen with. 

• Like 3

I think I might’ve fared better than most of you as most of my palms are Trachys and Sabals. My smallest Butia had damage to the newest frond that was emerging but the next one is fine. Two small T princeps spear pulled. The thing I’m noticing is how little things have grown this year. 

I have 11 Trachys flowering this year so far. They are behind so some more may make an appearance yet. 6 males, 1 female and 4 unknowns. I don’t understand why some flower and some don’t as size isn’t a reliable indicator if they’ll flower. I have some with over 6 feet of trunk and nothing yet. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

@Chester B I don't know how you ended up with such a disproportionate ratio of M:F.  

I know of 15 flowering Trachys that other neighbors have, only 4 are female. Of the 6 flowering wagnerianus in my neighborhood they are all male. From my small sample size it appears that male Trachys are more common. 

20 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

@Chester B I don't know how you ended up with such a disproportionate ratio of M:F.  

Maybe tracks are like alligators :wacko: 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 7:29 PM, Jesse PNW said:

@Fallen Munk  that sucks, what was the situation for those losses?  unheated greenhouse? 

I don't own a greenhouse.

I should have a few more 70'sF for Highs and 50'sF for Lows , but it's getting close to mainly 80's-90'sF for Highs and 60's-70F for Lows  . I hope you warm up soon .
We should all be glad we aren't sweating it out in India . I hope that's a relatively dry heat lol ?
Will

9 hours ago, Will Simpson said:

I should have a few more 70'sF for Highs and 50'sF for Lows , but it's getting close to mainly 80's-90'sF for Highs and 60's-70F for Lows  . I hope you warm up soon .
We should all be glad we aren't sweating it out in India . I hope that's a relatively dry heat lol ?
Will

I just double checked the current forecast for today in New Delhi. The high is forecast for 107, but relative humidity is a relative low 15%, so the real feel temperature is " only" 104F.

Compare that to the Texas Heat Wave this past week I saw heat Indexes up to 115. New Delhi Hit 116, but I didnt check the RH for that day. BUT the overnight temperatures are quite warm, central Dallas August like weather in the middle  to upper 80s. People really need to cool off at night. Without AC  or cooling off at night its gonna be stress on the body.

So while Climate change is politically charged,... avoid discussion! But Urban heat islands are a real thing created by humans, and this is attributing to the overnight lows being so high.

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Climate changes and that pesky jet stream seems to ying and yang in the most extreme ways…wonder what sets that stream of air into such radical undulations? Here in NOVA it’s been a cool, wet spring, similar to last year…winter was much the same as last year, too, though more snow. DC is always warmer as a heat island but I think gunfire adds to the heat…:lol:…just kidding…however, I don’t think DC affects my climate 10 miles away. At any rate, my cold hardy palms have enjoyed the moderated winters and have survived terrible cold, 2014/15…the year I put my Trachy and Medi in the ground and they’re still here! along with the Needles, Sabals and Brazoria…but I’m planted to my extremes and to be honest, a bit bored with the selection. But that’s life in zone 7…the fact that my Medi has done so well all these years is my victory. I’d prefer a bit of warming to raise my zone for me and for agriculture in general…maybe one day I can try that Pindo without protection! Just keep the rain coming.

image.thumb.jpg.ed3816809f009b17e80041ae8712e9d1.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.82f1cceff3ddfa32d1f15484a1270d13.jpg

• Like 2

Starting today 7’days no rain and lots of warm weather. Might even crack 80 next week. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

@GregVirginia7 is that one of the Onocleas by your Chamaerops?  Next to what looks like an Ostrich fern? 

Being botanically challenges, I had to look that one up…I collected it years ago in Pennsylvania on a visit to my dad’s house and it has proliferated ever since. It’s one of those woodsy looking plants I love because it’s no care and when it gets out of control, I just yank up what I don’t want to tidy things up. After looking up the images, I think you are right…it is what you said it is and very easy to grow in shade. It also pairs really well with palms but again, can be a bit invasive…thanks for asking.

8 hours ago, Chester B said:

Starting today 7’days no rain and lots of warm weather. Might even crack 80 next week. 

Good…warmer weather is finally here, too. 90’s yesterday and today but I think that pesky, downward bulging jet stream is going to pay another visit Sunday and drop temps to a more springlike range. The palms are responding well and these Trachys of mine are erupting beautifully! 

Greg I don't have any but I know there are a few species, I think it's probably "Sensitive fern" but I'm just not familiar with the Genus. 

Well I think it's FINALLY gonna be nice all weekend.  ~70f, a decent amount of sun, I got some seedlings moved from bags to pots, get to mow the yard - it's quite the jungle but not the kind of jungle I wanted!  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

Well I think it's FINALLY gonna be nice all weekend.  ~70f, a decent amount of sun, ...

Here too, and some of my micro-climates hit low 80's yesterday. :greenthumb:

Nice Barrie!  

Yesterday was great, high 73f, clear skies, then around 6pm we had a thunderstorm and rainstorm!  

It seldom storms in the PNW, at least where I live.  One thing I miss about the Midwest and East Coast is the storms. 

• Like 1

No storms down this way, nothing but sun.  I actually see life on my Albizia and Chitalpa trees, they've been waiting for it to warm up.  Nice trees but they're always late.

2 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

... It seldom storms in the PNW, at least where I live. ...

That's a common theme around the region.  Because of it's infrequency, I think that's why folks take pics/video when it happens, and they get posted on social media and the TV news.

1 hour ago, Chester B said:

No storms down this way, nothing but sun.  I actually see life on my Albizia and Chitalpa trees, they've been waiting for it to warm up.  Nice trees but they're always late.

I haven't grown Chitalpa before, but Albizia was well worth the wait once it got going. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

That's a common theme around the region.  Because of it's infrequency, I think that's why folks take pics/video when it happens, and they get posted on social media and the TV news.

I haven't grown Chitalpa before, but Albizia was well worth the wait once it got going. 

My Albizia is the sole tree left on my property from when I moved in. It was struggling the first couple years but it seems to be pretty happy now. If I started with a blank canvas I wouldn’t plant one again. Too late to leaf out and really messy when the flowers start dropping for a weeks in summer. At least their are no leaves to clean up in fall. And the whole “drought tolerant” is not true in my experience. I have to water it otherwise by August the leaves start turning yellow. I have a chocolate one too and it’s planted in a wet spot in my yard and really likes it.
Chitalpas on the other hand are what I would consider true drought tolerant trees that can really take the heat. Plus they bloom for months from June almost into November. 

• Like 1