IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Apartment People

JohnAndSancho

I'd like to see more of what people are doing in tiny spaces. I don't care if you're growing palms or vegetables or flowers or whatever. I can't be the only one on Palmtalk in an apartment, living off of grow lights and limited space. 

I've been all over YouTube and seen what can be done.

Shameless plug, YouTube.com/dbljzzl 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I'd like to see more of what people are doing in tiny spaces. I don't care if you're growing palms or vegetables or flowers or whatever. I can't be the only one on Palmtalk in an apartment, living off of grow lights and limited space. 

I've been all over YouTube and seen what can be done.

Shameless plug, YouTube.com/dbljzzl 

Summer Rayne Oakes on youtube, but doesn't know a lot about palms, but everything else!

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

I grow everything on my patio, I don't have any direct sun but can grow a lot. My washes despise the low light, I think my sabal is growing faster even, I have both washingtonia several sabals, a majesty, some date palms and a dypsis lutescens, I dont use grow lights either.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Centraltxpalm said:

I grow everything on my patio, I don't have any direct sun but can grow a lot. My washes despise the low light, I think my sabal is growing faster even, I have both washingtonia several sabals, a majesty, some date palms and a dypsis lutescens, I dont use grow lights either.

I do grow lights indoors. I dunno if you've watched my YouTube vids but I think I've got a lot for a studio apartment. Indoors I get virtually zero light since my only windows are in the French doors. 

13 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Summer Rayne Oakes on youtube, but doesn't know a lot about palms, but everything else!

Thanks for giving me a lot to watch this weekend!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/14/2022 at 9:05 AM, Centraltxpalm said:

Same here, have lived in two different apartments in the last year.

One had no direct sunlight, the other had direct sunlight but was multiple stories off ground and my seedlings would get absolutely wrecked every time it was windy and now half my Washingtonias have broken fronds. One benefit of the place that had no direct sun is if I parked my car below my balcony the sun would reflect off rear window and hit my palms on there balcony for a bit each day.

Just have to have a good grow light and its not the worst option.

Also getting little tables to place palms on helped me conserve space so that im not jamming them super close together

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

My tiktok is pretty much exclusively videos of my indoor collection, most of which is palms lol.  I have way more plants than I do adequate natural light so my place is wired to the gills with grow lights.  Everything grown in a 1 bedroom Seattle apartment :)

tiktok.com/@chlorophyll.daddy

Also have tons of plant content on my reddit page

www.reddit.com/user/lochstimpson/posts

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, PsyPalm said:

My tiktok is pretty much exclusively videos of my indoor collection, most of which is palms lol.  I have way more plants than I do adequate natural light so my place is wired to the gills with grow lights.  Everything grown in a 1 bedroom Seattle apartment :)

tiktok.com/@chlorophyll.daddy

Also have tons of plant content on my reddit page

www.reddit.com/user/lochstimpson/posts

You already know I'm a fan of your setup. Now I know where to look for updates. 

Going out of town for two weeks and won't be using all of the grow lights I have installed all over my apartment, so I crammed the whole gang up to my south window so everyone gets as much natural light as possible.  They make for quite the squad all bunched together haha, feels like a real jungle in here :D

https://imgur.com/gallery/7xx5B4g

https://imgur.com/gallery/cxX2hfg

3 minutes ago, PsyPalm said:

Going out of town for two weeks and won't be using all of the grow lights I have installed all over my apartment, so I crammed the whole gang up to my south window so everyone gets as much natural light as possible.  They make for quite the squad all bunched together haha, feels like a real jungle in here :D

https://imgur.com/gallery/7xx5B4g

https://imgur.com/gallery/cxX2hfg

I did the same thing last February. 

• 1 month later...

The squad and I have been enjoying summer up here in Seattle.  Lots of new growth and good vibes:)

Palm15.jpeg

Palm16.jpeg

Palm14.jpeg

Palm13.jpeg

Palm12.jpeg

Palm11.jpeg

Palm10.jpeg

Palm9.jpeg

Palm7.jpeg

Palm6.jpeg

Palm5.jpeg

Palm3.jpeg

Palm2.jpeg

Palms1.jpeg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PsyPalm said:

The squad and I have been enjoying summer up here in Seattle.  Lots of new growth and good vibes:)

Palm15.jpeg

Palm16.jpeg

Palm14.jpeg

Palm13.jpeg

Palm12.jpeg

Palm11.jpeg

Palm10.jpeg

Palm9.jpeg

Palm7.jpeg

Palm6.jpeg

Palm5.jpeg

Palm3.jpeg

Palm2.jpeg

Palms1.jpeg

Looking great as always, fam. I really need to add more lights to my apartment - I'm looking for cheap stuff I can clamp onto my entertainment centers and add grow bulbs into since I can't mount into ceilings and walls here. 

• Like 1