IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trip to the local plant show in Manila

Gbarce

I saw another variegated palm.  The vendor did not know what variety it was exactly - but was guessing "bungang china"  which is a local name for a common palm over here.  I will have to research teh scientific name of it though.

post-1017-1188638742_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

I think my best find for the trip is this variegated palm -- identity to be determined.

And yes BS I will put it in very filtered light. :D

post-1017-1188639104_thumb.jpg

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

Thanks Gene, enjoyed the tour.

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

WOW..great pics! I don't think # 14 is a heliconia & of course the name escapes me at the moment  :D I want to say it's common name is tri-color something or other. I know, a big help.

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Is your unidentified palm Adonidia merrillii?

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Thanks for the tour. Loved the Joey.

Post 11 looks like Reed Orchids, can't remember latin name

Post 29 looks like Pachypodiums, or Madagascar Palms

Your variegated score looks ptychosperma-like to me. Seems we get it and Adonidia confused alot as juveniles on this forum.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Gene, Thanks for the post, the variegated Rhapis look interesting, I think the first ones are Nanzannishiki and the one you purchased Ayanishiki .

Thanks for the names Jon.  Over here most people are not so conscious about giving the  names of plants.  So all variagets phapis are named "variageted rhapis" :P

Probably because over here when people buy a plant they see it for themselves -- I don't think there are any mail order outfits here that needed to establish that practice.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

The plant in post #14 is

Stromanthe sanguinea "Triostar"

In the Arrowroot family

Not a Heliconia or a Ginger

Merritt Island, Florida 32952

28º21'06.15"N 80º40'03.75"W

Zone 9b-10a

4-5 feet above sea level

Four miles inland

No freeze since '89...Damn!-since 2nd week of Jan., 2010

Gene,

thanks for the tour.Is this plant show held yearly? Guatemala has a similar latitude and we have almost nothing unusual in our plant nurseries.People have little interest in ornamental plants.We do have a small orchid show though.

Scott

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

Scott,

Here in Metro Manila there is a Horticultural show  early in the year.  Thats pretty interseting because you always get to see a lot of really interesting and unusual plants plus the added bonus of really rare/collectible/one-of a kind plants in the displays.  Its the one time that people can really show off their collections.

Then there are Orchid Shows which come twice a year.  Some time in January/February and towards the midle of the year in July/August.  I think this is to catch the blooming season of different types of plants.

But the commecrial sections also are an attraction in themselves.  lots of rare and unusual stuff--and of course they are for sale.  If its rare and collectible though the plant is ususally expensive.  The fun part is haggling which is common practice

Sometimes you can ask them to exchange plants with you too.

But these shows are getting smaller and smaller through the years with less participants joining the exhibits.

Gene

Manila, Philippines

Gene,

Great stuff as usual, thanks so much. I never get tired of looking at all this tropical stuff. I need to get serious about coming overthere for one of these plant shows. My good friend,Dr. B Frank Brown goes overthere at least once every year. I would love to make a trip there.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff,

Glad you appreciate the pictures.  

What does Dr. Brown look like?  If there are any caucasians in the these shows they easily stand out.  In past shows I have seen and been introduced to some Americans who came to these shows.  Work keeps me very busy and I never really have any time to socialize in these things.  I am normally in and out in these shows and I only have enough time to rapidly scout for plants.

I think I have had more plant related conversations here on this board than with local plant enthusiasts over here in my own country :P   Well for practical reasons it fits my schedule because I can do this late at night. :D

I will make it a point to at least say "hi" to the foreigners - who knows it may just be one of you guys in this board.

Gene

Manila, Philippines