IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

HELP! Specific Complimentary Plants for Palms in Zone 8b/9a TX

Collectorpalms

Very Specific plants that Either regrow from roots or do well most years without too much die back which add to a tropical or Palmy flair?

What are your sources?

In warm 8b to 9a Texas. 

Annuals/Perennials/Shrubs/trees?

I want palms to be LESS than 50% of garden.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 2

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Aesculus paviaAsimina genus, Feijoa sellowianapassifloraZingiber officinale or other gingers, Curcuma genus, cold hardy bromeliads, bougainvillea, bamboo, cordylines, philodendrons,Opuntia ellisiana and Piper auritum are a few I can think of. Underlined plants are ones I grow that survived '21 and need very little care. You do need to address your saltwater issue first.

Edited by amh
  • Like 2

Some good ones already mentioned. I will add loquat tree, arctic frost satsuma (and other cold hardy citrus), pomegranate trees/shrubs bamboos, magnolia grandiflora, and I like evergreen shrubs such as azaleas oleander, and rhododendrons. I am sure there are lots of other good complimentary plants out there though

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Very Specific plants that Either regrow from roots or do well most years without too much die back which add to a tropical or Palmy flair?

What are your sources?

In warm 8b to 9a Texas. 

Texas Star Hibiscus die back to ground here (DFW) but grow fast and are a little less common than what is at the big box stores.  I use too many azaleas but they look aweseome the weeks they are in bloom, but do at least remain evergreen for a year round presence.   Radiance abelia are a common shrub that can also give you year round interest plus small flowers at times.  If you've got some shade the Soft Caress Mahonia are cool too although the Marvel seem to perform better for me.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, amh said:

Aesculus paviaAsimina genus, Feijoa sellowianapassifloraZingiber officinale or other gingers, Curcuma genus, cold hardy bromeliads, bougainvillea, bamboo, cordylines, philodendrons,Opuntia ellisiana and Piper auritum are a few I can think of. Underlined plants are ones I grow that survived '21 and need very little care. You do need to address your saltwater issue first.

I collect 300-400 gallons of rain water every rainfall. and all my flower beds are raised so they can leach out when I have to adjust water with my tap water. This year hasn't been an issue, but I look at plants growing at the coastal areas the Gulf coast info Florida and mi-atlantic that are considered salt tolerant from moderate to high levels..

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

2 hours ago, GregDFW said:

Texas Star Hibiscus die back to ground here (DFW) but grow fast and are a little less common than what is at the big box stores.  I use too many azaleas but they look aweseome the weeks they are in bloom, but do at least remain evergreen for a year round presence.   Radiance abelia are a common shrub that can also give you year round interest plus small flowers at times.  If you've got some shade the Soft Caress Mahonia are cool too although the Marvel seem to perform better for me.

Tried Azaleas a few times, they cant take salt water greater than 200 pmm. Compare that to DFW its aroun25 pmm. Even a splash of grass irrigation they go do hill without rehab. 

3 hours ago, Ben OK said:

Some good ones already mentioned. I will add loquat tree, arctic frost satsuma (and other cold hardy citrus), pomegranate trees/shrubs bamboos, magnolia grandiflora, and I like evergreen shrubs such as azaleas oleander, and rhododendrons. I am sure there are lots of other good complimentary plants out there though

azaleas, nope. tropical oleanders work but not the large cold hardy types. and rhods will be like azalea very PH picky and not salt tolerant,

7 hours ago, Will Simpson said:

Ensete maureliii , Thailand Giant EE , and Gardenias 

1B478F6B-B24E-4321-A9AD-6F4BB01DD259.thumb.jpeg.4d99560920b3949b398c2e0e38d313f8.jpeg7415B2CD-298A-4EB3-B620-9F672BBD7EB9_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.15694b380303303023ed3fe013563021.jpegC6A20E04-8C63-4258-BA71-86933D1CA660.thumb.jpeg.83e48ad00c8cf558612cd0bd06250758.jpeg

C3BFDF9E-ADB6-4520-8F16-4E2DB29AC9AB.heic 2.55 MB · 0 downloads

7 hours ago, Will Simpson said:

1B478F6B-B24E-4321-A9AD-6F4BB01DD259.thumb.jpeg.4d99560920b3949b398c2e0e38d313f8.jpeg7415B2CD-298A-4EB3-B620-9F672BBD7EB9_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.15694b380303303023ed3fe013563021.jpegC6A20E04-8C63-4258-BA71-86933D1CA660.thumb.jpeg.83e48ad00c8cf558612cd0bd06250758.jpeg

azaleas not slightly salt tolerant or soil PH tolerant. Gardenianas I though in the same boat, but I am not sure if they are salt tolerant/??????? EE, have issues with too high heat and salt burned. tips. Ensete maureliii don't seem to tolerate extreme heat with high overnight temperatures. ( 80 plus at night).

The answer is things which die to the ground in a freeze but come back.

So bananas, gingers, elephant ears, Tetrapanax (a little invasive but easily managed), etc.

I'm not sure how they'll do in College Station, but I had hardy Calatheas in the ground for the bad freeze which came back. There's a red Ruellia which is pretty and not as invasive as the purple ones but comes back from freezes. Red firespike? Avoid pink ones - bloom too late, get frozen before you see the flowers. Cat whisker (not sure about the scientific name) came back from the freeze too.

There are no bromeliads which will survive a record freeze in College Station, but Aechmea recurvata, distichantha, and gamosepala are pretty dang tough. And Billibergia nutans of course. The good thing about other, less cold hardy bromeliads is, you can always just pick them up and throw them in your garage! Just avoid the ones with spines.

Bletilla?

And then there's clumping bamboo...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Crinum lilies? Many of them look quite tropical and in a hard freeze bounce back quickly in spring from the giant underground bulbs.

The green variety of shell ginger is much hardier and faster growing than the variegated and can take a freeze better. There are also other species that are more tolerant.

• Like 2

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

I got one ; Manihot grahamii .

One of mine  has been growing from  the same trunk for 3 years . If I had severe  cold ( below 10F ? )  it would come up from the ground and that trunk would die  . I've never had one grow this long on a single trunk . It's really a small tree now . It's just getting going good and will fill out and get a lot taller too . 

52073736896_5abe1b7ba5_b.jpg

52073736936_b1908526c7_b.jpg

• Like 5

On 5/13/2022 at 9:13 AM, Collectorpalms said:

What are your sources?

In warm 8b to 9a Texas. 

Mountain Laurel was a nice temperate plant when I lived in a temperate zone: https://www.thespruce.com/mountain-laurel-plants-growing-tips-2131174

• Like 3

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

What about not die back semi-salt plants, say along zone 7-9 just indland from the coast in the mid-atlantic to NE FLorida.

Prunus maritimaIlex vomitoriaJuniperus virginianaAgave americanaPhormium tenax, and Chaenomeles speciosa are salt tolerant.

Is your soil natural or was it brought in during construction?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Will Simpson said:

I got one ; Manihot grahamii .

One of mine  has been growing from  the same trunk for 3 years . If I had severe  cold ( below 10F ? )  it would come up from the ground and that trunk would die  . I've never had one grow this long on a single trunk . It's really a small tree now . It's just getting going good and will fill out and get a lot taller too . 

I should have some seedlings of this one if you want any. 

Edited by Swolte
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, amh said:

Prunus maritimaIlex vomitoriaJuniperus virginianaAgave americanaPhormium tenax, and Chaenomeles speciosa are salt tolerant.

Everything pretty much is in a raised bed. Obviously over 22 years it is settled and or somewhat washed away since I am on a slight slope, but the top soil was wiped clean. When I tested the edge of property it was like PH 9. I thought it was a mistake, but I think it was pretty darn close. at least 8+. Except the back they had to add sand to make the driveway not so steep. That has caused the crack in my brick as its not the same " soil " if you wan to call it that for the length of the very narrow property. Everything I plant is amended in a raised bed for the most part. I cannot tell you how much soil and supplements I have bought but its more than any sane person. For a few years I planted thousands of tulips, and they are prone to diseases, so every year, I Replaced the soil where they were planted.

• Like 1

I appreciate the advise those have given, I know I google the plants and then after "ad plant and for sale", but if you have a good trusted source let me know.

My Plants were doing really well but this extra month of summer, its not appreciated to the new growth on my new plants. I have to check for wilted new foliage daily.  Its suppose to be 85 mid May not 95, and no change in forecast. That's just the reality of gardening.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

I appreciate the advise those have given, I know I google the plants and then after "ad plant and for sale", but if you have a good trusted source let me know.

My Plants were doing really well but this extra month of summer, its not appreciated to the new growth on my new plants. I have to check for wilted new foliage daily.  Its suppose to be 85 mid May not 95, and no change in forecast. That's just the reality of gardening.

It is 95 to 100 in my area, when it should 80 to 85, add in receiving only about 3 inches of rain for the past 8 months and even the weeds are dying. Gardening in Texas can be interesting.

Shrubs—Highly Salt Tolerant

Common Name

Botanical Name

Height x Spread (ft.)

Evergreen/ Deciduous

Soil

Exposure

Century Plant

Agave americana

5-7 x 8-12

E

Well Drained to Xeric

Sun

Elaeagnus

Elaeagnus pungens Elaeagnus x ebbingii

10-15 x 10-15

E

Well Drained to Xeric

Sun to Part Shade

Dwarf Yaupon Holly*

Ilex vomitoria ‘Nana’, ‘Bordeaux’, ‘Schilling’s’

3-4 x 4-5

E

Well Drained to Xeric

Sun to Part Shade

Oleander

Nerium oleander

6-10 x 4-8

E

Well Drained to Xeric

Sun

New Zealand Flax

Phormium tenax

4-6 x 4-6

E

Well Drained

Sun

Pittosporum

Pittosporum tobira

6-8 x 6-8

E

Well Drained to Xeric

Sun to Part Shade

Dwarf Pittosporum

Pittosporum tobira

‘Wheeler’s Dwarf’, ‘Mojo’, ‘Cream de Mint’

3-4 x 3-5

E

Well Drained to Xeric

Sun to Part Shade

‘Majestic Beauty’ Indian Hawthorn

Rhaphiolepis umbellata

‘Majestic Beauty’

8-10 x 8-10

E

Well Drained

Sun

Rugosa Rose

Rosa rugosa

3-5 x 4-6

D

Well Drained

Sun

Rosemary

Rosmarinus officinalis

3-6 x 3-6

E

Well Drained to Xeric

Sun

Butcher’s Broom

Ruscus aculeatus

2-3 x 2-3

E

Well Drained

Part Shade to Shade

Sandwanka Viburnum

Viburnum suspensum

4-8 x 4-8

E

Well Drained to Xeric

Sun

Yucca*

Yucca gloriosa Yucca aloifolia

6-8 x 4-8

E

Well Drained to Xeric

Sun

Shrubs—Moderately Salt Tolerant

Common Name

Botanical Name

Height x Spread (ft.)

Evergreen/ Deciduous

Soil

Exposure

Japanese Aucuba

Aucuba japonica

5-8 x 4-6

E

Well Drained

Part to Full Shade

Dwarf Aucuba

Aucuba japonica ‘Nana’

3-4 x 2-3

E

Well Drained

Part to Full Shade

Hedge Bamboo

Bambusa multiplex

15-20 x 6-10

E

Well Drained

Light to Part Shade

Wintergreen Barberry

Berberis julianae

6-8 x 6-8

E

Well Drained

Sun

Bottlebrush

Callistemon rigidus

5-6 x 5-6

E

Well Drained

Sun

Flowering Quince

Chaenomeles speciosa

6-10 x 6-10

D

Well Drained

Sun to Light Shade

Sweet Pepperbush, Clethra*

Clethra alnifolia

4-8 x 3-6

D

Moist to Well Drained

Sun to Part Shade

Dwarf Sweet Pepperbush, Clethra*

Clethra alnifolia

‘Hummingbird’, ‘White Doves’, ‘Sixteen Candles’

2-3 x 4-6

D

Moist to Well Drained

Sun to Part Shade

Fragrant Daphne

Daphne odora

2-3 x 2-3

E

Well Drained

Part Shade

Japanese Euonymus

Euonymus japonicus

4-10 x 3-6

E

Well Drained

Sun to Shade

Fatsia

Fatsia japonica

6-8 x 6-8

E

Well Drained

Part to Full Shade

Pineapple Guava

Feijoa sellowiana

6-10 x 5-8

E

Well Drained

Sun

Forsythia

Forsythia x intermedia

8-12 x 8-12

D

Well Drained

Sun to Light Shade

Rose of Sharon

Hibiscus syriacus

8-12 x 6-10

D

Well Drained

Sun

Bigleaf Hydrangea

Hydrangea macrophylla

Many varieties available

4-6 x 4-8

D

Well Drained

Light to Part Shade

‘Carissa’ Holly

Ilex cornuta ‘Carissa’

3-4 x 4-5

E

Well Drained

Sun to Part Shade

‘Rotunda’ Holly

Ilex cornuta ‘Rotunda’

3-4 x 4-5

E

Well Drained

Sun to Part Shade

‘Needlepoint’ Holly

Ilex cornuta ‘Needlepoint’

8-15 x 6-12

E

Well Drained

Sun to Light Shade

Inkerry Holly*

Ilex glabra

5-8 x 5-8

E

Moist to Well Drained

Sun to Light Shade

Chinese Juniper

Juniperus chinensis

Many varieties available

2-12 x 4-8 de- pending on vari- ety

E

Well Drained to Xeric

Sun

Texas Sage

Leucophyllum frutescens

4-6 x 4-6

E

Well Drained

Sun

Japanese Privet

Ligustrum japonicum

6-12 x 5-10

E

Well Drained

Sun to Light Shade

Leatherleaf Mahonia

Mahonia bealei

6-8 x 3-4

E

Well Drained

Part to Full Shade

Firethorn, Pyracantha

Pyracantha coccinea

6-10 x 4-8

E

Well Drained

Sun to Light Shade

Indian Hawthorne

Rhaphiolepis indica

2-4 x 3-5

E

Well Drained

Sun

Shrubs—Moderately Salt Tolerant, continued

Common Name

Botanical Name

Height x Spread (ft.)

Evergreen/ Deciduous

Soil

Exposure

Azaleas -
Southern Indica Varieties

Rhododendron

‘Formosa’, ‘G.G. Gerbing’, ‘George Tabor’

6-8 x 6-8

E

Well Drained

Light to Part Shade

Satsuki Azaleas

Rhododendron Satsuki Varieties, ‘Gumpo’ Series

2-3 x 3-4

E

Well Drained

Light to Part Shade

Stinking Viburnum

Viburnum odoratissimum

8-15 x 6-12

E

Well Drained

Sun to Part Shade

Adam’s Needle Yucca*

Yucca filamentosa

2-4 x 2-4

E

Well Drained to Xeric

Sun

Shrubs—Slightly Salt Tolerant

Common Name

Botanical Name

Height x Spread (ft)

Evergreen/ Deciduous

Soil

Exposure

Abelia

Abelia x grandiflora

4-8 x 4-6

E

Well Drained

Sun to Part Shade

‘Brilliant’ Chokeberry*

Aronia arbutifolia

‘Brilliantissima’

6-8 x 6-8

D

Moist to Well Drained

Sun to Light Shade

Japanese Barberry

Berberis thunbergii

2-3 x 3-4

D

Well Drained

Sun to Light Shade

Butterfly Bush

Buddleia davidii

4-8 x 4-6

D

Well Drained

Sun to Light Shade

American Beautyberry*

Callicarpa americana

4-6 x 4-6

D

Moist to Well Drained

Sun to Part Shade

Japanese Camellia

Camellia japonica

Many varieties available

6-12 x 4-8

E

Well Drained

Light to Part Shade

Sasanqua Camellia

Camellia sasanqua

6-10 x 4-8

E

Well Drained

Light to Part Shade

Gardenia

Gardenia jasminoides

4-8 x 4-8

E

Well Drained

Sun to Light Shade

Winterberry*

Ilex verticillata

6-10 x 6-10

D

Moist to Well Drained

Sun to Light Shade

Banana Shrub

Michelia figo

6-8 x 6-8

E

Well Drained

Sun to Part Shade

Nandina, Heavenly Bamboo

Nandina domestica

5-8 x 3-4

E

Well Drained

Sun to Part Shade

Dwarf Nandina

Nandina domestica

‘Firepower’, ‘Moon Bay’, ‘Harbor Belle’

2-4 x 1-3

E

Well Drained

Sun to Part Shade

Tea Olive, Osmanthus

Osmanthus fragrans Osmanthus x fortunei

10-15 x 10-15

E

Well Drained

Sun to Part Shade

Double Reeves Spirea

Spirea cantoniensis

‘Lanceata’

4-6 x 4-6

D

Well Drained

Sun

Cleyera

Ternstroemia gymnanthera

8-12 x 5-6

E

Well Drained

Sun to Full Shade

Walter’s Viburnum*

Viburnum obovatum

4-12 x 4-10

E

Moist to Well Drained

Sun

Shrubs—Slightly Salt Tolerant, continued

Common Name

Botanical Name

Height x Spread (ft)

Evergreen/ Deciduous

Soil

Exposure

Tinus Viburnum, Laurustinus

Viburnum tinus

5-7 x 5-7

E

Well Drained

Sun to Part Shade

Weigela

Weigela florida

4-6 x 4-6

D

Well Drained

Sun to Light Shade

VINES

Vines—Moderately Salt Tolerant

Common Name

Botanical Name

Height

Evergreen/ Deciduous

Soil

Exposure

Climbing Fig

Ficus pumila

30’+

E

Well Drained

Sun to Shade

Carolina Jessamine*

Gelsemium sempervirens

10’ -20’

E

Moist to Well Drained

Sun to Pt. Shade

English Ivy

Hedera helix

50’+

E

Well Drained

Sun to Shade

Coral Honeysuckle*

Lonicera sempervirens

10’ -20’

E

Moist to Well Drained

Sun to Pt. Shade

Goldflame Honeysuckle

Lonicera x heckrottii

10’ -20’

E

Moist to Well Drained

Sun to Lt. Shade

Virginia Creeper*

Parthenocissus quinquefolia

30’+

D

Moist to Well Drained

Sun to Shade

Lady Banks’ Rose

Rosa banksiase ‘Lutea’

20’

D

Well Drained

Sun to Lt. Shade

Confederate Jasmine

Trachelospermum jasminoides

15’

E

Well Drained

Sun

Fatshedera

X Fatshedera lizei

8’

E

Moist to Well Drained

Pt. Shade to Shade

PALMS

Palms—Highly Salt Tolerant

Palms—Moderately Salt Tolerant

Common Name

Botanical Name

Height x Spread (ft.)

Soil

Exposure

Dwarf Palmetto*

Sabal minor

4-6 x 4-6

Moist to Well Drained

Sun to Part Shade

Cabbage Palm, Palmetto*

Sabal palmetto

10-20 x 10-15

Well Drained

Sun

Saw Palmetto*

Serenoa repens

3-5 x 4-8

Moist to Well Drained

Sun to Part Shade

Common Name

Botanical Name

Height x Spread (ft.)

Soil

Exposure

Pindo Palm, Jelly Palm

Butia capitata

10-15 x 10-15

Well Drained

Sun

Mediterranean Fan Palm

Chamaerops humilis

5-6 x 5-6

Well Drained

Sun to Light Shade

King Sago Emporer Sago

Cycas revoluta Cycas taitungensis

4-8 x 6 4-6 x 10

Well Drained

Sun to Part Shade

Needle Palm*

Rhapidophyllum hystrix

5-10 x 5-10

Well Drained

Sun to Part Shade

Chinese Windmill Palm

Trachycarpus fortunei

10-20 x 6-12

Well Drained

Sun to Part Shade

ORNAMENTAL GRASSES

Ornamental Grasses—Highly Salt Tolerant

Common Name

Botanical Name

Height x Spread

Soil Conditions

Exposure

Pampas Grass

Cortaderia selloeana

8’ x 6’

Moist to Well Drained

Full Sun

Lyme Grass

Leymus arenarius

2’ x 4’

Well Drained to Xeric

Full Sun

Maiden Grass

Miscanthus sinensis

4’-8’ x 3’-6’

Moist to Well Drained

Full Sun

Muhly Grass*

Muhlenbergia capillaris

3’ x 3’

Well Drained to Xeric

Full Sun

Bitter Panicum*

Panicum amarum

3’ x 2’

Well Drained to Xeric

Full Sun

Sand Cordgrass*

Spartina bakeri

3’ x 3’

Well Drained

Full Sun

Common Name

Botanical Name

Height x Spread

Soil Conditions

Exposure

Panic Grass* Fountain Grass

Ornamental Grass—Slightly Salt Tolerant

Panicum virgatum 4’-8’ x 2’-4’ Moist to Well Drained Pennisetum alopecuriodes 3’ x 2’ Moist to Well Drained

PERENNIALS

Perennials—Highly Salt Tolerant

Full Sun Full Sun

Common Name

Botanical Name

Height x Spread (ft.)

Exposure

Soil

Blanket Flower, Gaillardia*

Gaillardia pulchella

1-2 x 1-2

Sun

Well Drained to Xeric

Daylily

Hemerocallis species and hybrids

1-4 x 1-4

Sun/Partial Shade

Moist to Well Drained

Lantana

Lantana camara Lantana montevidensis

2-4 x 3-6

Sun

Well Drained to Xeric

Prickly Pear Cactus*

Opuntia compressa

1-2 x 2-3

Sun

Well Drained to Xeric

Lavender Cotton

Santolina chamaecyparissus

1-2 x 2

Sun

Well Drained

Seaside Goldenrod*

Solidago sempervirens

4-6 x 3-4

Sun

Well Drained to Xeric

Perennials—Moderately Salt Tolerant

Common Name

Botanical Name

Height x Spread (ft.)

Exposure

Soil

Fern Leaf Yarrow

Achillea filipendulina

3-4 x 2-3

Sun

Well Drained

Common Yarrow

Achillea millefolium

2-3 x 3

Sun

Well Drained to Xeric

Agapanthus

Agapanthus africanus

2-4 x 2

Sun to Part Shade

Well Drained

Perennials—Moderately Salt Tolerant, continued

Common Name

Botanical Name

Height x Spread (ft.)

Exposure

Soil

Sea Thrift

Armeria maritima

1 x1

Sun to Part Shade

Well Drained

Butterfly Weed*

Ascelpias tuberosa

2-3 x 2-3

Sun

Well Drained to Xeric

Asparagus Fern

Asparagus densiflorus

‘Sprengeri’

2-3 x 2-3

Sun to Part Shade

Well Drained

Crinum Lily

Crinum species and hybrids

2-4 x 2-4

Sun to Part Shade

Moist to Well Drained

Mexican Heather

Cuphea hyssopifolia

1 x2

Sun

Well Drained

Hardy Ice Plant

Delosperma cooperi Delosperma nubigenum

6” x 1-2

Sun

Well Drained to Xeric

Cheddar Pinks, Dianthus

Dianthus gratianopolitanus

6”-1 x 1-2

Sun

Well Drained to Xeric

Hummingbird Plant

Dicliptera suberecta

1-2 x 3-4

Sun

Well Drained

Firebush*

Hamelia patens

3-5 x 3-4

Sun

Well Drained

Hardy Ginger Lily

Hedychium species and hybrids

4-6 x 3-5

Sun to Part Shade

Moist to Well Drained

Candytuft

Iberis sempervirens

6”-1 x 2-3

Sun

Well Drained

Red False Aloe

Hesperaloe parviflora

3-4 x 2-4

Sun

Well Drained to Xeric

Turk’s Cap*

Malvaviscus drummondii

3-4 x 3-4

Sun

Well Drained

Nippon Daisy

Nipponanthemum nipponicum

2-3 x 2-3

Sun

Well Drained

Seashore Mallow*

Kosteletzkya virginica

4-6 x 3-4

Sun to Part Shade

Moist to Well Drained

Firecracker Plant

Russelia equisetiformus

3-4 x 3-4

Sun

Well Drained

Purple Heart

Setcreasia pallida

1 x2

Sun to Light Shade

Well Drained

Hen and Chicks

Sempervivum tectorum

6”-1 x 1

Sun

Well Drained to Xeric

Society Garlic

Tulbughia violacea

1 x1

Sun

Well Drained

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Will Simpson said:

Shrubs—Highly Salt Tolerant

Common Name

Botanical Name

Height x Spread (ft.)

Evergreen/ Deciduous

Soil

Exposure

Century Plant

Agave americana

5-7 x 8-12

E

Well Drained to Xeric

Sun

Elaeagnus

Elaeagnus pungens Elaeagnus x ebbingii

10-15 x 10-15

E

Well Drained to Xeric

Sun to Part Shade

Dwarf Yaupon Holly*

Ilex vomitoria ‘Nana’, ‘Bordeaux’, ‘Schilling’s’

3-4 x 4-5

E

Well Drained to Xeric

Sun to Part Shade

Oleander

Nerium oleander

6-10 x 4-8

E

Well Drained to Xeric

Sun

New Zealand Flax

Phormium tenax

4-6 x 4-6

E

Well Drained

Sun

Pittosporum

Pittosporum tobira

6-8 x 6-8

E

Well Drained to Xeric

Sun to Part Shade

Dwarf Pittosporum

Pittosporum tobira

‘Wheeler’s Dwarf’, ‘Mojo’, ‘Cream de Mint’

3-4 x 3-5

E

Well Drained to Xeric

Sun to Part Shade

‘Majestic Beauty’ Indian Hawthorn

Rhaphiolepis umbellata

‘Majestic Beauty’

8-10 x 8-10

E

Well Drained

Sun

Rugosa Rose

Rosa rugosa

3-5 x 4-6

D

Well Drained

Sun

Rosemary

Rosmarinus officinalis

3-6 x 3-6

E

Well Drained to Xeric

Sun

Butcher’s Broom

Ruscus aculeatus

2-3 x 2-3

E

Well Drained

Part Shade to Shade

Sandwanka Viburnum

Viburnum suspensum

4-8 x 4-8

E

Well Drained to Xeric

Sun

Yucca*

Yucca gloriosa Yucca aloifolia

6-8 x 4-8

E

Well Drained to Xeric

Sun

PALMS

Palms—Highly Salt Tolerant

Palms—Moderately Salt Tolerant

Common Name

Botanical Name

Height x Spread (ft.)

Soil

Exposure

Dwarf Palmetto*

Sabal minor

4-6 x 4-6

Moist to Well Drained

Sun to Part Shade

Cabbage Palm, Palmetto*

Sabal palmetto

10-20 x 10-15

Well Drained

Sun

Saw Palmetto*

Serenoa repens

3-5 x 4-8

Moist to Well Drained

Sun to Part Shade

Common Name

Botanical Name

Height x Spread (ft.)

Soil

Exposure

Mediterranean Fan Palm

Chamaerops humilis

5-6 x 5-6

Well Drained

Sun to Light Shade

King Sago Emporer Sago

Cycas revoluta Cycas taitungensis

4-8 x 6 4-6 x 10

Well Drained

Sun to Part Shade

Needle Palm*

Rhapidophyllum hystrix

5-10 x 5-10

Well Drained

Sun to Part Shade

ORNAMENTAL GRASSES

Ornamental Grasses—Highly Salt Tolerant

Common Name

Botanical Name

Height x Spread

Soil Conditions

Exposure

Pampas Grass

Cortaderia selloeana

8’ x 6’

Moist to Well Drained

Full Sun

Lyme Grass

Leymus arenarius

2’ x 4’

Well Drained to Xeric

Full Sun

Maiden Grass

Miscanthus sinensis

4’-8’ x 3’-6’

Moist to Well Drained

Full Sun

Muhly Grass*

Muhlenbergia capillaris

3’ x 3’

Well Drained to Xeric

Full Sun

Bitter Panicum*

Panicum amarum

3’ x 2’

Well Drained to Xeric

Full Sun

Sand Cordgrass*

Spartina bakeri

3’ x 3’

Well Drained

Full Sun

Common Name

Botanical Name

Height x Spread

Soil Conditions

Exposure

Panic Grass* Fountain Grass

PERENNIALS

Perennials—Highly Salt Tolerant

Full Sun Full Sun

Common Name

Botanical Name

Height x Spread (ft.)

Exposure

Soil

Blanket Flower, Gaillardia*

Gaillardia pulchella

1-2 x 1-2

Sun

Well Drained to Xeric

Daylily

Hemerocallis species and hybrids

1-4 x 1-4

Sun/Partial Shade

Moist to Well Drained

Lantana

Lantana camara Lantana montevidensis

2-4 x 3-6

Sun

Well Drained to Xeric

Prickly Pear Cactus*

Opuntia compressa

1-2 x 2-3

Sun

Well Drained to Xeric

Lavender Cotton

Santolina chamaecyparissus

1-2 x 2

Sun

Well Drained

Seaside Goldenrod*

Solidago sempervirens

4-6 x 3-4

Sun

Well Drained to Xeric

Thank you, I just edited to the extreme limit of salt tolerance. I did come across that list but I did not save it. I would say that our city water qualifies as highest salt PPM. Its over 225 mg/l Compare that to Austin, Dallas, Houston, they are down near 25 mg/l So they can water 7 days and accumulate 175 mg/l while if I water every day I accumulate 1,575 mg/l ,if its not leached out. Its why I have raised beds, so it can sorta leach out, and I can adjust the PH.

EPA recommends not to exceed 30 to 60 mg/l.  College Station Utilities Monopoly.  I wonder how many heart attacks and diseases people get in this county.

Edited by Collectorpalms

On 5/13/2022 at 12:12 PM, Will Simpson said:

I saw Ensete glaucum ( snow banana) Growing at Mercer Arboretum, north Houston, not long ago ( 2018) , and were massive. So maybe I should try them again - maybe it was just my soil and water that did them in... but only saw them one other time doing well in the south... I think In southern Alabama, However, I cannot find a live Ensete glaucum anywhere. They were the Bismarckia of Bananas!

Edited by Collectorpalms

On 5/13/2022 at 11:43 AM, amh said:

Just Added this spring or had a few of these, I hope the Pineapple Guava does well. Ill add to my notes so I can research for this fall availabilities of some others.

On 5/13/2022 at 4:25 PM, Ben OK said:

My Loquat came back from the stems. So I added 5 more of these. Pomegranate came back from roots. Added two Magnolia Browns Beauty. honestly that was a big purchase. Not a single Little Gem i see has lived here in the city. I even saw dead ones in Waco from the freeze. My EE Rouge azalea might be my first causality, I am not sure what happened it was so happy then looked like it was hit by a critter. I have a semi-dwarf tropical oleander that come back that I love. It blooms all year, unlike the big leaf ones. So I am propagating it since I do not know the variety. There are southern type of Rhods listed on Southern Living, but they are never in stock, makes me think maybe they wont work since they are trying to grow them in coastal AL.

• Upvote 1

On 5/14/2022 at 9:55 AM, Kailua_Krish said:

Crinum lilies? Many of them look quite tropical and in a hard freeze bounce back quickly in spring from the giant underground bulbs.

The green variety of shell ginger is much hardier and faster growing than the variegated and can take a freeze better. There are also other species that are more tolerant.

I have a couple Crinum Lilies, I guess they need full sun to flower? I have a green ginger, that has slowly spread. I need to divide to and spread in yard. The variegated form under a live oak and never gets enough moisture to flourish. 

On 5/15/2022 at 1:38 PM, amh said:

I had eastern red cedar I considered a nuisance But I have one that sprouted in my yard that I have kept same as Youpon Hollies. I wanted a Taylor Juniper, but passed on it. I got 4 Arizona cypress, two regular, and two sorta dwarf forms. I wanted the Icy blue type... will see next year. Ill be surprised if I can keep these alive as they can drop dead if I Forget to water a day until established.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

Just Added this spring or had a few of these, I hope the Pineapple Guava does well. Ill add to my notes so I can research for this fall availabilities of some others.

The pineapple guava will handle shade, full sun, cold, heat, drought and flood, but I don't know about salt.

The deer will leave it alone, so that is another plus.

1 minute ago, amh said:

The pineapple guava will handle shade, full sun, cold, heat, drought and flood, but I don't know about salt.

The deer will leave it alone, so that is another plus.

A&M has some big pineapple guava that hardly get any care but are still flowering a ton.

Might be vanilla but plumbago flowers constantly all summer (hard to beat blue) and hardly needs any water when established. 

The Parkinsonia around town look pretty "exotic", looks like they only got minor damage to younger wood from the big freeze.

The older more vigorous tropical Hibiscus like 'President' should come back though you may be waiting until July for blooms barring a mild winter. Handles salt but not excessive alkalinity

• Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

2 hours ago, Xenon said:

A&M has some big pineapple guava that hardly get any care but are still flowering a ton.

Might be vanilla but plumbago flowers constantly all summer (hard to beat blue) and hardly needs any water when established. 

The Parkinsonia around town look pretty "exotic", looks like they only got minor damage to younger wood from the big freeze.

The older more vigorous tropical Hibiscus like 'President' should come back though you may be waiting until July for blooms barring a mild winter. Handles salt but not excessive alkalinity

Got the imperial blue Plumbago covered, got 55 plants. Mostly liners, 2 to pot. Not planted. InLike the look of climbing so I started the one on right.

Do tropical hibiscus flower in our heat? I had them come back but was dissatisfied with blooms. Got bugs tossed. Seems more like a Hilo climate. Who knew Mandevilla and orange bird of paradise can come back.  

Yesterday, shown Proven winners Petunia, Whales tounge. Plumbago, etc., two days of not watering almost lost two petunias in front. Think they are ok now.

B2B9BEF5-2C37-4FF9-B2C4-72823B998A7D.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

Do tropical hibiscus flower in our heat? I had them come back but was dissatisfied with blooms. Got bugs tossed. Seems more like a Hilo climate. Who knew Mandevilla and orange bird of paradise can come back.  

Heat isn't an issue, they are all over south Texas. Needs a lot of sun and potassium for best flowering. Lowes sometimes has wilted but otherwise fine plants on clearance for 4 bucks 

Blooms right up till frost (pic from mid December)

1702910938_PXL_20211218_170610711_MP2.thumb.jpg.1d1ded69480a66cba0fde7e54a3aa180.jpg

Edited by Xenon
  • Like 2

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

6 minutes ago, Xenon said:

Heat isn't an issue, they are all over south Texas. Needs a lot of sun and potassium for best flowering. Lowes sometimes has wilted but otherwise fine plants on clearance for 4 bucks 

If they can handle fixed ph, fixed soil with potassium and leached salt I’ll try again. They were at Moodys for awhile… I think I recall a special fertilizer awhile back didn’t help. It was the bugs. What were they. Spider mites? Had full sun. 

Edited by Collectorpalms

No one mentioning Podocarpus? 

2 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

If they can handle fixed ph, fixed soil and potassium and leached salt I’ll try again. They were at Moodys for awhile… 

They are all over the Houston Area. Some were tree sized at some point in the 2000s. The older varieties always come back.

The yellow flowering Turnera ulmifolia in the pic above should handle salt and heat too (it's all over coastal Florida). Not hardy even as a perennial but very easy from cuttings (save in the fall for next season), will also reseed itself. 

• Like 1

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

6 minutes ago, Xenon said:

They are all over the Houston Area. Some were tree sized at some point in the 2000s. The older varieties always come back.

The yellow flowering Turnera ulmifolia in the pic above should handle salt and heat too (it's all over coastal Florida). Not hardy even as a perennial but very easy from cuttings (save in the fall for next season), will also reseed itself. 

I almost bought liners of those two weeks ago but had to limit myself. I did a cutting from Esperanza and it took ok. Now I have to go back T the damn weeds there. They got so out of control last year after the freeze and extra sun. Nothing kills texas weeds forever. Killing a Bermuda grass area for 20 years I think 

6E8D0211-C922-49E4-8159-0E76D253D10D.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Royal Hawaiian Colocasia is a must have it puts out tons of purplish leaves. It’s a new one this season for me. 

AD61043E-BBD3-496D-BAA5-37113C0140FE.jpeg

I think someone mentioned Texas Olive. Yup, mine came back and is flowering. 

0A15BA88-1FE2-4161-ABE7-366DCE5D1E71.jpeg

15BC34E0-9BE7-4828-8580-F8B9BAAA571C.jpeg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

Royal Hawaiian Colocasia is a must have it puts out tons of purplish leaves. It’s a new one this season for me. 

It's one of my favorite here too.  Called a different name but same plant.

Edited by Allen

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

I'll toss into the ring Hardy hibiscus, Colocasia 'Coffee cup' and all Canna lily 

IMG_1067 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1548.jpg

5D3_8311.JPG

Edited by Allen
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

11 minutes ago, Allen said:

I'll toss into the ring Colocasia 'Coffee cup' and all Canna lily

IMG_1067 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1548.jpg

Purchased 7 bulbs of them, all turned out bad. I thought one was going to do something. Nope. Disappointed. If they come from Columbia, stay away. Evidently they have had issues from there. 
Proven Winners Sells live Tea cups., but rarely do we get their products down here with no speciality nursery. 

BD8731AD-9EB2-412B-85CA-F69BF7E5988C.jpeg

Edited by Collectorpalms