IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Can Adonidia merrillii make it in 7b beside no?

Hardypalms

Hi

I came upon someone here in Z7 b north of Atlanta planting this palm. I engaged the conversation to see if they knew palms.

they did not. I politely said that it would not make it here in the winter. I told them it is a Christmas palm ( I wouldnt dare say the scientific name) I explained it was a crown shafted palm and they are too tender for here. I said it’s the hardiest of the crown shafted so if you are going to try one this is it. They said they will wrap it and put a heat mat.

i never see that palm here beside potted. Am i right that even wrapped and with a heated matt, it won’t make it?

I m lucky to have a Sabal palmetto that makes it fine in my yard.

Thxs

Pat

Edited by Hardypalms
Mispelled word

That's not even close to the hardiest of crown shaft palms. That stands as much chance of survival as a cat does doing calculus. 

The only way it will survive even wrapped is if the wrap is a heated greenhouse, 300 miles south.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Its no where near the hardiest crown shafted palm, It's as hardy, if not less than a coconut. The hardiest is Chamaedorea Elegans. 

• Like 1

Lucas

2 minutes ago, Alan_Tampa said:

That stands as much chance of survival as a cat does doing calculus. 

hmm...

• Like 1

Lucas

10 minutes ago, Alan_Tampa said:

That stands as much chance of survival as a cat does doing calculus. 

:floor:

• Like 1

I mean, no, but if it makes them happy let 'em go for it. 

I was at a guys' house in Dallas, he had some coconuts planted by the pool that the landscapers had recently put in, along with some trachy's that had been there for a few years.  He knows nothing about palms, I told him there was no way those cocos were going to survive, he said don't worry, the landscapers will come wrap them up in winter.  This was about 4 months before palmageddon.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

4 hours ago, Little Tex said:

Its no where near the hardiest crown shafted palm, It's as hardy, if not less than a coconut. The hardiest is Chamaedorea Elegans. 

Chamaedora elegans is a crown shafted palm?

My Adonidia died after a brief freeze, and probably never went below 30F.  It isn't even a 9b palm in my experience...that thing'll be dead by the end of November.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Hardypalms said:

Can anyone point me to a list of the hardiest crown shafted palms?

Thxs

Pat

Move to Miami. ;)

33 minutes ago, Hardypalms said:

Can anyone point me to a list of the hardiest crown shafted palms?

Thxs

Pat

Depending on what type of cold or cool winters you get, the hardiest would be out of this list:

Chamaedorea microspadix

Chamaedorea radicalis

Dypsis decipiens 

Dypsis onilahensis

Rhopalostylis sapida

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana and Dypsis baronii are really cool hardy too but probably a step down from the above species in terms of absolute cold hardiness if comparing established specimens. There might also be some other Chamaedorea sp that rival the above but it’s generally accepted that microspadix and radicalis are the two most hardy.

• Upvote 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

6 hours ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

Depending on what type of cold or cool winters you get, the hardiest would be out of this list:

Chamaedorea microspadix

Chamaedorea radicalis

Dypsis decipiens 

Dypsis onilahensis

Rhopalostylis sapida

Archontophoenix cunninghamiana and Dypsis baronii are really cool hardy too but probably a step down from the above species in terms of absolute cold hardiness if comparing established specimens. There might also be some other Chamaedorea sp that rival the above but it’s generally accepted that microspadix and radicalis are the two most hardy.

Thanks Tim, I was just curious and have no intentions to plant crown shafted palms here.

Pat

Pseudophoenix sargentii has been thee most cold hardy crownshaft palm (non Chamaedorea) for me.  Archontophoenix is also in the conversation as a very close second place.  In January 2010, my Archontohoenix (cunninghamiana, tuckeri, myolensis) were totally defoliated but the Pseudophoenix was still more than half green.  The Pseudophoenix is more drought tolerant than Archontophoenix and is thus slightly more cold tolerant.  Dr. Larry Noblick published a paper years ago correlating drought and cold tolerance.  

• Upvote 1

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

15 hours ago, Xerarch said:

... he said don't worry, the landscapers will come wrap them up in winter.

Bahahaha.