IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Phoenix Theophrasti seedlings

JeskiM

I sowed (gang planted) ~ 20-25 Phoenix Theophrasti seeds into a single 5 gallon pot several weeks ago.   Looks like I have ~75% germination attm,

My question is:   How long should I plan to keep them in this community pot till I separate them ?

My thinking is to leave them in this pot for the 1st year and transplant into individual pots in early spring next year.

What do y'all think ?

-Matt

If they're anything like dactylifera, then the roots will have reached the bottom of a 5 gallon pot in the first year. If you're comfortable with that, then leave 'em be.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Last year, I had five seedlings of Cretan Date Palm in a community pot, and separated four of them four months later in their own pots.  The last one I separated two month later,  of which now doesn't look good ( the one in the middle pot in the back in the picture below ). That seedling looks like it's experienced some root trauma , while the others are doing well. It seems that the earlier one separates these Theophrasti seedlings from the community pot, the better, but then again, that's just my observation and experience.

jCYZy8.jpg

( On a related note, I also have a community pot of five Phoenix Rupicola seedlings that I planted at the same time last year as my Phoenix Theophrasti ,  that I still haven't separated yet.

While they look healthy, they are still relatively small, and don't seem to have really grown very much in almost a year )

• Like 1