IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Parajubaeas in the Presidio of San Francisco

thallo

I’ve been watching these trees grow the past few years and thought I would share a couple of photos. they are located in the Presidio of San Francisco. I think they are all torallyi except for the one with me in vest - I think that’s sunkha. I’m 6’1” for reference. The one at 58 Presidio could be cocoides? It’s smaller in stature than the surrounding torallyis. 

I’m soooo glad I didn’t plant P. torallyi in my small garden after watching them grow in open spaces!

B54AA4D7-DB1E-4322-8441-A9B8FD28EEF8.jpeg

BE78B086-1E96-45E3-94AF-D152F9DE89A9.jpeg

84CDC3C8-B3DF-4B9F-8C0C-561DC66A1E0C.jpeg

11A729A9-8E18-48C2-9DB3-3A5212D1C397.jpeg

D165DBCE-E979-40FB-80D6-267AF38EAA96.jpeg

Edited by thallo
  • Like 12
  • Upvote 3

Wow! Looks like 2 were fruiting. Keeping fingers crossed 10 years from now…

• Upvote 1

Its funny how they look almost like mules

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Lucas

Are the P. torallyi at this location fruiting?

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

1 hour ago, awkonradi said:

Are the P. torallyi at this location fruiting?

Yes, but not currently. I’ve seen mature seeds on the largest palm in the past and new flowers are emerging now. 

1 hour ago, thallo said:

Yes, but not currently. I’ve seen mature seeds on the largest palm in the past and new flowers are emerging now. 

Appreciate that.

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

5 hours ago, Little Tex said:

Its funny how they look almost like mules

Yep! I saw this mule on Cannery Row in Monterey CA and I thought it might be a Parajubaea until folks on here confirmed otherwise.  

07E3CA9B-C8E2-438D-A598-DE5C41393EF3.jpeg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, thallo said:

I’ve been watching these trees grow the past few years and thought I would share a couple of photos. they are located in the Presidio of San Francisco. I think they are all torallyi except for the one with me in vest - I think that’s sunkha. I’m 6’1” for reference. The one at 58 Presidio could be cocoides? It’s smaller in stature than the surrounding torallyis. 

I’m soooo glad I didn’t plant P. torallyi in my small garden after watching them grow in open spaces!

B54AA4D7-DB1E-4322-8441-A9B8FD28EEF8.jpeg

BE78B086-1E96-45E3-94AF-D152F9DE89A9.jpeg

84CDC3C8-B3DF-4B9F-8C0C-561DC66A1E0C.jpeg

11A729A9-8E18-48C2-9DB3-3A5212D1C397.jpeg

D165DBCE-E979-40FB-80D6-267AF38EAA96.jpeg

Any idea how long they've been in the ground for?

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

22 hours ago, Tyrone said:

Any idea how long they've been in the ground for?

I’m not sure. I only noticed them in 2019 when I became more interested in palms (and also began hiking different routes through the Presidio). 

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

Stopped by to check on the largest of the Parajubaeas in the Presidio yesterday. It seems more massive than ever after our epic winter rains. Two active inflorescences right now. I’m 6’1 for reference 

IMG_7310.jpeg

IMG_7313.jpeg

Edited by thallo
Update photo
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

I stopped by that palm a week ago, and I also took pictures.  I think I may see a fruit and a seed, marked in the picture below.

IMG_20230807_092041.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I was in the US Army and stationed  at the Presidio in 1968... It is such a beautiful area... It was probably one of the prettiest military bases around, back then... Of course it's not military now.. It was an interesting place to be stationed, for sure... Much better than where I went from there... Also interesting, but not in a good way (Viet Nam)...

Butch

• Like 4

I considered putting one in the planting strip on our narrow street but decided it was too big even for that. Apparently they grow pretty fast here, possibly the fastest palm in the fog belt.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Foggy Paul said:

I considered putting one in the planting strip on our narrow street but decided it was too big even for that. Apparently they grow pretty fast here, possibly the fastest palm in the fog belt.

I spoke with garden staff last month at the Strybing Arboretum in GG Park and he said their Parajubaea palms seem to grow much faster when given abundant water, even in the summer. Sizes there in the garden were similar to the pictures here in The Presidio.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Cade said:

Will they grow in zone 9B Alvin Tx? 

35 minutes south of Houston Tx 

Cade, These require cool summer nighttime temperatures to prosper (50s-60s) especially in warm-hot afternoon locations. Hot daytime + very warm nighttime temperatures often dooms them. 

• Like 3

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

7 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Cade, These require cool summer nighttime temperatures to prosper (50s-60s) especially in warm-hot afternoon locations. Hot daytime + very warm nighttime temperatures often dooms them. 

A Butia x Syagrus mule might be happy in Alvin, TX, and provide a similar look.

• Like 2

Butia x PJs are as close as you can get in southeast Texas. PJT and PJS do particularly well. My PJC crosses died in last year's freeze.

21 hours ago, awkonradi said:

I stopped by that palm a week ago, and I also took pictures.  I think I may see a fruit and a seed, marked in the picture below.

There is definitely a fruit there - I’ve seen at least 3 or 4 the past few years. I tried to leave them to mature but they were gone later. I think the local wildlife must like them!