Jump to content
JeskiM

Is North Texas Cold Hardy Palms still in Business ?

Recommended Posts

JeskiM

The title says it all.  

The website is still online. I have placed an order within the last year and never heard anything from them.  I am assuming that they have either gone out of business since the Deep Freeze last year or are slowly recovering from it.

Does anyone know what's up ?

-Matt

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnAndSancho
Just now, JeskiM said:

The title says it all.  

The website is still online. I have placed an order within the last year and never heard anything from them.  I am assuming that they have either gone out of business since the Deep Freeze last year or are slowly recovering from it.

Does anyone know what's up ?

-Matt

 

 

I apologize for sounding rude here, but the search bar on this forum will lead you to multiple threads about this. He lost his entire inventory last winter, and unfortunately the website and ebay listings remain up. Multiple PayPal and credit card chargebacks have been filed. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JeskiM

No, you don't sound rude.  Nor was I trying to be rude.

I did search using "North Texas Cold Hardy Palms" and got so many results that included "palm" or "hardy" etc in it that the results were useless when I was looking for all five of those words together in my search criteria.  Which is why I started a new topic.

I am rather new here and it may be a "user" issue (me) not using the search engine correctly.

-Matt

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silas_Sancona
4 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I apologize for sounding rude here, but the search bar on this forum will lead you to multiple threads about this. He lost his entire inventory last winter, and unfortunately the website and ebay listings remain up. Multiple PayPal and credit card chargebacks have been filed. 

This is the one, big  " head scratcher " .. W/ most businesses, once they've closed up shop ( voluntarily or not ) anything associated w/ it, inc the website should've been axed, ..esp. after such a long time.. 

Is the only thing that makes me wonder if something else, not necessarily connected w/ loosing his inventory during the freeze happened that caused him to essentially " vanish from the face of the earth "..   I mean ..someone has to know where he is / why he hasn't even tried to contact -anyone-.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JeskiM

Well, in the interest of preventing this thread from getting out of control, etc (especially since there seems to be plenty of other threads discussing this) I will say that my question has been answered already.

Also, I did revisit the search functionality and noticed many of options, etc that will help me to better refine my searches from now on, so I also learned something new there too.

-Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DAVEinMB

@JeskiM if you want to streamline your search use Google instead of the search function on here. Type in your query and then type palmtalk after it.

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnAndSancho
30 minutes ago, JeskiM said:

Well, in the interest of preventing this thread from getting out of control, etc (especially since there seems to be plenty of other threads discussing this) I will say that my question has been answered already.

Also, I did revisit the search functionality and noticed many of options, etc that will help me to better refine my searches from now on, so I also learned something new there too.

-Matt

I hope I didn't come across as a jerk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JeskiM

@JohnandSancho:  No. You did not come across as a jerk.  I was inept at using the search engine on the forum.  No worries.

@DAVEinMB:  Yes, I do that tick using Google quite a bit actually. I have to do that same ting on a few other forums that I frequent because the forums search engine isn't the greatest.

-Matt

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bigfish
On 5/10/2022 at 5:44 PM, DAVEinMB said:

@JeskiM if you want to streamline your search use Google instead of the search function on here. Type in your query and then type palmtalk after it.

This is the way.  Example to type into Google search bar:

North Texas Cold Hardy Palms closed site:www.palmtalk.org.

You’ll still get a lot of irrelevant results, but it’s much easier to sift through than using the search feature on this website.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
amh
On 5/10/2022 at 4:44 PM, DAVEinMB said:

@JeskiM if you want to streamline your search use Google instead of the search function on here. Type in your query and then type palmtalk after it.

 

3 hours ago, Bigfish said:

This is the way.  Example to type into Google search bar:

North Texas Cold Hardy Palms closed site:www.palmtalk.org.

You’ll still get a lot of irrelevant results, but it’s much easier to sift through than using the search feature on this website.

The search function is not that bad, but having to wait before refining a search is an annoyance.

Overall the google option is best for thread titles or species with similar and related names.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RyManUtah
2 hours ago, amh said:

The search function is not that bad, but having to wait before refining a search is an annoyance.

FYI this isn’t a thing for IPS members. One of many, useful site features.. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meangreen94z

Yeah, it sucks. He had a great inventory for cold hardy enthusiasts. I was hoping he would make a come back, but that seems less and less likely.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
amh
1 hour ago, RyManUtah said:

FYI this isn’t a thing for IPS members. One of many, useful site features.. 

I learned something today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jtee
3 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

Yeah, it sucks. He had a great inventory for cold hardy enthusiasts. I was hoping he would make a come back, but that seems less and less likely.

I know, so many things I would have loved to order and their prices seemed reasonable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnAndSancho
On 5/10/2022 at 4:35 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

Is the only thing that makes me wonder if something else, not necessarily connected w/ loosing his inventory during the freeze happened that caused him to essentially " vanish from the face of the earth "..   I mean ..someone has to know where he is / why he hasn't even tried to contact -anyone-.

I really, really, really don't like making this post and I feel absolutely horrible asking this. But has anyone googled his name and a word that starts with O? 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Silas_Sancona
16 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I really, really, really don't like making this post and I feel absolutely horrible asking this. But has anyone googled his name and a word that starts with O? 

Not the most positive thought of course, but ..Believe me, have wondered the same thing a few times..  :hmm:

it's so weird that he just vanished after the last time he'd posted last April.. Doesn't he have a kid( s? ) and thought i'd heard him mention being married.

..Something just doesn't jive and i'd have never imagined he'd just up and leave everyone he has done business with completely in the dark..  Totally get he'd be floored by loosing everything,  anyone would.   Not hard to explain to everyone what happened and that he's essentially closing up shop, either to regroup/ rebuild or retire from that career path .  Bad move to go about everything the way he has chosen to ..if   that's the case.

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnAndSancho

I don't know him personally so I'll suck it up and google if someone sends me a name. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meangreen94z

Joseph and his brother, who was also involved  are still alive. I think he’s just avoiding the palm/eBay community because he’s ready to move on in life.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meangreen94z
1 hour ago, Silas_Sancona said:



..Something just doesn't jive and i'd have never imagined he'd just up and leave everyone he has done business with completely in the dark..  Totally get he'd be floored by loosing everything,  anyone would.   Not hard to explain to everyone what happened and that he's essentially closing up shop, either to regroup/ rebuild or retire from that career path .  Bad move to go about everything the way he has chosen to ..if   that's the case.

I think he’s always operated that way. I bought from him pretty consistently but he wouldn’t answer my text inquiries for weeks, and out of nowhere he’d text me answering half of what I asked and saying he’s heading down to Houston tomorrow, what should he bring?(when I lived in Houston). I grew used to it. He made the vast majority of money selling to local landscapers, and is possibly still doing so. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms

I do not have a lot of sympathy. The amount of plants and value of plants he had, I would have taken it a bit more serious. Frost cloth back up generators etc...

I think it was a rich mans hobby. Look at his value of land and house.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manalto
27 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

I do not have a lot of sympathy. The amount of plants and value of plants he had, I would have taken it a bit more serious. Frost cloth back up generators etc...

I think it was a rich mans hobby. Look at his value of land and house.

It's really none of my business how he conducts his business. I can either trade with him and accept his idiosyncrasies, or not.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
Just now, Manalto said:

It's really none of my business how he conducts his business. I can either trade with him and accept his idiosyncrasies, or not.

WOW so you doing business with them WOW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jimhardy

if this is the guy I am thinking of, he left a lot of people

hanging with orders that had been paid for and(as far as I know) posted on here

without answering or explaining anything to people that were still waiting for (paid) orders.

 

 

https://texascoldhardypalms.com

Edited by Jimhardy
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
3 minutes ago, Jimhardy said:

if this is the guy I am thinking of, he left a lot of people

hanging with orders that had been paid for and(as far as I know) posted on here

without answering or explaining anything to people that were still waiting for (paid) orders.

Yes, the same guy that was doing the little guy a favor by selling to us, when he had bigger and better things to do.  No sympathy. What if he come back online, everyone just so desperate to take him back? 

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jimhardy

I think he would need to address all the people still waiting for their orders first.:36_14_15[1]:

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
necturus

Yep, he's not dead. He texted me long after the freeze to see if I wanted something.

There's scammers on here. I've written about one - check the review sections. I wouldn't have thought of Texas Cold Hardy Palms as a scammer, but perhaps I was wrong. His website never worked. Buyer beware. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Manalto
6 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

WOW so you doing business with them WOW

I have no idea how you arrived at that conclusion. From this point on, I prefer to be left out of this conversation.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ahosey01
On 5/13/2022 at 8:04 AM, necturus said:

Yep, he's not dead. He texted me long after the freeze to see if I wanted something.

There's scammers on here. I've written about one - check the review sections. I wouldn't have thought of Texas Cold Hardy Palms as a scammer, but perhaps I was wrong. His website never worked. Buyer beware. 

In fairness, however the dude conducts himself post-freeze, he personally dropped off three Sabal uresana and a Livistona nitida on my front porch while I was on vacation so he wouldn't have to ship them, and I live thousands of miles from him.  Always had a good impression.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms
1 hour ago, ahosey01 said:

In fairness, however the dude conducts himself post-freeze, he personally dropped off three Sabal uresana and a Livistona nitida on my front porch while I was on vacation so he wouldn't have to ship them, and I live thousands of miles from him.  Always had a good impression.

I do not live too far from him/them, and I was not able to get a visit scheduled to pick anything up via text. Therefore, I ordered a couple things on ebay instead, before the freeze that I never received, they were cancelled. Then strangely I ordered something after the freeze that did arrive with no freeze damage. He sold his house as someone pointed out just before the freeze. So we can only guess/ gossip since he is not here to defend himself. But that was my experience. He acted like total a** to me. However, so did someone well known in Hawaii you cannot get a word in edgewise. You have to have to suck up to these people to get palms. You have to praise them like a god a guess. 

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Meangreen94z
5 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

I do not live too far from him/them, and I was not able to get a visit scheduled to pick anything up via text. Therefore, I ordered a couple things on ebay instead, before the freeze that I never received, they were cancelled. Then strangely I ordered something after the freeze that did arrive with no freeze damage. He sold his house as someone pointed out just before the freeze. So we can only guess/ gossip since he is not here to defend himself. But that was my experience. He acted like total a** to me. However, so did someone well known in Hawaii you cannot get a word in edgewise. You have to have to suck up to these people to get palms. You have to praise them like a god a guess. 

The house his family lived in was not on the large piece of property where his nursery was. I was under the impression his brother lived there.

I’ve definitely come to appreciate what he offered, maybe others haven’t. I can’t even find reliable seed to a number of species he offered at affordable prices. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jimhardy

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms

Feeling Bummed. I was depressed a whole year. Take Heart. People usually figure it out.... Maybe there will be a revival. The property and house it is on has NOT been sold.

 

TEXAS COLD HARDY PALMS.jpg

TEXAS COLD HARDY PALMS DEC.jpg

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
knikfar
On 5/19/2022 at 11:21 PM, Collectorpalms said:

Feeling Bummed. I was depressed a whole year. Take Heart. People usually figure it out.... Maybe there will be a revival. The property and house it is on has NOT been sold.

 

TEXAS COLD HARDY PALMS.jpg

TEXAS COLD HARDY PALMS DEC.jpg

In the most recent Google Streetview, that Washingtonia on the right has new leaves coming out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Collectorpalms

as of march 22 it was falling over, no leaves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...