NWpalms@206

Triple Trachy Takil

NWpalms@206

Found what I think will make a really cool palm In a few yrs… a triple trunk trachy takil. A tongue twister. Pretty interesting specimen have not seen another like it. Single seed I believe 

0EA96F40-97A2-4B32-A0E2-CC57622237BA.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Jesse PNW

Time to tease the 'Talk with tales of tongue-twisting Trachycarpus takil triple-trunked-trophies.   Trying to trade for a tiny Trachycarpus tesan tomorrow?  Totally tubular tropical trees, it's true. 

• Like 3

Ben OK

Cool find. I have three small takils. The last couple of winters have been hard here though. I am hoping for a good growing season. Good luck with them/it.

On 5/9/2022 at 10:49 PM, Jesse PNW said:

Time to tease the 'Talk with tales of tongue-twisting Trachycarpus takil triple-trunked-trophies.   Trying to trade for a tiny Trachycarpus tesan tomorrow?  Totally tubular tropical trees, it's true. 

NWpalms@206
1 hour ago, Ben OK said:

Cool find. I have three small takils. The last couple of winters have been hard here though. I am hoping for a good growing season. Good luck with them/it.

Takil seem to be tender young, but tougher mature? I have no mature takil but the young ones I do have have all experinced a little spear funk this winter. All growing out of it nicely though no pulls. 

Trustandi

It is cool. It reminds me of chamaerops.

Collectorpalms
1 hour ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Takil seem to be tender young, but tougher mature? I have no mature takil but the young ones I do have have all experinced a little spear funk this winter. All growing out of it nicely though no pulls. 

You are going to need a lot of full sun for all your palms to put on good growth, how much cleared acreage do you have? Butia queens etc... full day sun. Trachycas need 6-8 mimimum/

RJ
6 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

You are going to need a lot of full sun for all your palms to put on good growth, how much cleared acreage do you have? Butia queens etc... full day sun. Trachycas need 6-8 mimimum/

Are you referring to the PNW in regards to sun exposure? Around here the ones that are in full sun don’t look nearly as good as the ones that get afternoon shade. 

• Upvote 2

Collectorpalms
9 minutes ago, RJ said:

Are you referring to the PNW in regards to sun exposure? Around here the ones that are in full sun don’t look nearly as good as the ones that get afternoon shade. 

minerals, sun, water, they will grow faster Butia Syagrus hybrids and for that matter trachyarpus WILL grow faster there, here and in the UK... etc... essential to life. A break in the west sun may be the other difference to how they look.

Watched videos from the UK and the Netherlands,  Same Applies.

Edited by Collectorpalms

NWpalms@206
5 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

3acres, 2 of which wide open sky, old growth trees perimeter block winds, south facing house and slightly sloped sandy loam soil. Water drains very quickly to an aquifer below my property that I have a class B well providing our drinking and farming water. I get sun 10+ hrs a day. And I have a 20x20 cement foundation greenhouse. 

EB6B04F7-99F1-451E-8E4D-948F8CC7E1FB.jpeg

RJ
5 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

minerals, sun, water, they will grow faster Butia Syagrus hybrids and for that matter trachyarpus WILL grow faster there, here and in the UK... etc... essential to life. A break in the west sun may be the other difference to how they look.

Watched videos from the UK and the Netherlands,  Same Applies.

They grow plenty fast, perhaps it’s owner neglect, just driving around here the ones out in full sun just don't look nearly as good as the ones that at least get a break in the afternoon from the heat. YMMV 

Collectorpalms
1 minute ago, NWpalms@206 said:

3acres, 2 of which wide open sky, old growth trees perimeter block winds, south facing house and slightly sloped sandy loam soil. Water drains very quickly to an aquifer below my property that I have a class B well providing our drinking and farming water. I get sun 10+ hrs a day. And I have a 20x20 cement foundation greenhouse. 

EB6B04F7-99F1-451E-8E4D-948F8CC7E1FB.jpeg

Get growing! Can wait to see progress reports.

Collectorpalms
1 minute ago, RJ said:

They grow plenty fast, perhaps it’s owner neglect, just driving around here the ones out in full sun just don't look nearly as good as the ones that at least get a break in the afternoon from the heat. YMMV 

Are you in the PNW? Washington, BC, Oregon, Idaho?

NWpalms@206
2 minutes ago, Collectorpalms said:

Get growing! Can wait to see progress reports.

Oh I’m on it! I work a lot so my landscaping is slow progress but I’m off a couple weeks gonna get a lot done hopefully. Then be patient. 

Ben OK
1 hour ago, NWpalms@206 said:

I am in a zone 7 with hot summers and at least some snow and ice every year. In my experience here, trachycarpus and needle palms are a lot less hardy when small. I try not to plant them until they are about a 5 gallon size or larger. Even then, they are significantly more likely to take damage during their first winter in the ground.

NWpalms@206
25 minutes ago, Ben OK said:

I am in a zone 7 with hot summers and at least some snow and ice every year. In my experience here, trachycarpus and needle palms are a lot less hardy when small. I try not to plant them until they are about a 5 gallon size or larger. Even then, they are significantly more likely to take damage during their first winter in the ground.

I’ve told myself nothing under 15g goes in ground, I can get things to that size in the greenhouse (unheated for now) while still acclimating them somewhat. I just potted up a few 5g to 15g had to restrain from planting. I think a key to success in PNW is size of plant when it’s planted in ground and exposed to its first winter. The 20g Jubaea x Queen is next!

D6FA431E-820B-4999-8FAE-C92D47933B27.jpeg

Edited by NWpalms@206

RJ
1 hour ago, Collectorpalms said:

Are you in the PNW? Washington, BC, Oregon, Idaho?

Nope… SC