IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Caring for my palms

MichaelHijinx

I moved into a house and want some advice on taking care of my palms.

I have 2 queen palms on a hillside. The ground has been eroding around the base. I'm about to build a retaining wall to level out the ground, but want to ask if I should do something about the existing damage. 

I think the other 2 are canary date palms (please let me know if I'm incorrect). The little one sprouted up, so I assume it grew from a seed that fell. I'm concerned about how close the big one was planted to the concrete, it is now overlapping it. Also the angle of the ground it is planted in and it's proximity to the house. I don't think the previous owner considered how big it would grow. Its at a slight angle, Will it be able to straighten up & not be a problem? 

Thanks in advance for any advice. 

20220509_162153.jpg

20220509_162213.jpg

20220509_162042.jpg

20220509_162059.jpg

20220509_163743.jpg

20220509_162133.jpg

20220509_162213.jpg

Hi Michael,

Welcome to PalmTalk!  Yes, you have two queen palms, and two Canary Island date palms (CIDP).  All four palms look healthy.  I don't see any "damage" to any of them.  All four palms would enjoy some watering through the coming hot and dry summer months in Folsom, and especially your two queen palms.  I would expect your leaning CIDP to curve towards vertical as it grows, but it looks like some of its fronds may contact the house.   You can trim any contacting fronds to clear the house, without hurting the palm.  I think the walkway next to the CIDP won't hurt the palm.  I will let others wiser than me comment about the likelihood of that palm hurting the walkway.  Regarding your planned retaining wall, I think putting that in will not hurt your queen palms, as long as you do not pile dirt too high around their trunks.  I will let others wiser than me comment about how high it would be OK to pile dirt around them.

Edited by awkonradi

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

Your queens will be fine and actually benefit from adding a few inches of soil. They will produce lots of stabilizing new roots into that new soil. Keep them well watered and a palm specific fertilizer would be beneficial since queens are heavy feeders. 

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens