IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal ID Needed

Allen

Looking for a Sabal ID.  This thing just seems so robust.   I know it's tough to ID -   minor?, Louisiana or another hybrid?

Palm Info: sold to me by Jungle music palms as a S. minor 2017 strap fronds

- Grew this size 5.5-6 feet from liner in 5 seasons

- seed stalks extend beyond fronds 7-8 feet with seed roughly same size as S. minor

- fronds 3.5-4 feet wide mild-moderate costapalmate with a few fibers

- Petiole - 3' Tough requires saw to cut

- fronds collapse in strong wind/ice

- withstands single digits with only spotting damage on fronds

sabal3.jpg

sabal1.jpg

sabal5.jpg

sabal6.jpg

sabal7.jpg

sabal8.jpg

Size on 5/2018 after 1 year in ground

IMG_1316.jpg

Edited by Allen

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Since you've mentioned it came from California. Don't you just love the mystery with sabal minor.

Here is my guest. 

Sabal Blackburniana

• Like 1

Allen I have a blackburniana from Phil, and it does not resemble the palm you've provided images of.

Mine is a little over 6 feet tall now, and the fronds have started becoming more recurved. It has not flowered - at this size a minor would have already flowered. 

With the inflorescence held above the canopy and the deep divide in the frond I would guess minor of some kind. 

Phil is usually very good with labeling. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dartolution said:

Allen I have a blackburniana from Phil, and it does not resemble the palm you've provided images of.

Mine is a little over 6 feet tall now, and the fronds have started becoming more recurved. It has not flowered - at this size a minor would have already flowered. 

With the inflorescence held above the canopy and the deep divide in the frond I would guess minor of some kind. 

Phil is usually very good with labeling. 

Yea I don't think blackburniana can take single digits with little damage.

Any other thoughts?

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Sabals that I repeatedly hear about the leaves collapsing under snow or strong winds, along with the growth rate, hardiness and robust nature, I say Louisiana. Just a guess, but I would say 100% not normal minor. Growth rate is too fast, growing too vertical for minor. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
57 minutes ago, dalmatiansoap said:

Any ideas?

IMG_20220630_202736.jpg

Hey Ante, if it has not bloomed yet, it has chances to be bermudana, if it has bloomed or if it will bloom during the next few years, then it is a minor hybrid.

• Like 1

If its not a regular minor the Louisiana Minor is a good guess. Here's my SoCal minor for comparison.  The wind tears up the leaves on this one as well.

20220603_090728.thumb.jpg.52189828880e8381ff2cf66c95a0ae5e.jpg

• Like 2

Hesperia,Southern CA (High Desert area). Zone 8b

Elevation; about 3600 ft.

Lowest temp. I can expect each year 19/20*f lowest since I've been growing palms *13(2007) Hottest temp. Each year *106