IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fertilizer

Ltapia

I’m currently using sunny land fertilizer anyone have experience with it ? is Palm gain better I have trachys , Mediterranean , robustas? Or any better fertilizer out there ?

• Like 1

I use Sunniland.  Seems to work fine.  Most of the time I just use generic all purpose 16-16-16 or straight ammonium sulfate because the dedicated palm fertilizer is so expensive.  I'll use the Sunniland once or twice per season.  I mostly use ammonium sulfate in the spring during heavy rain so it can start the season off with a good kick of nitrogen, then I switch over to slow release during the drier months.

Edited by Fallen Munk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Fallen Munk said:

I use Sunniland.  Seems to work fine.  Most of the time I just use generic all purpose 16-16-16 or straight ammonium sulfate because the dedicated palm fertilizer is so expensive.  I'll use the Sunniland once or twice per season.  I mostly use ammonium sulfate in the spring during heavy rain so it can start the season off with a good kick of nitrogen, then I switch over to slow release during the drier months.

Thanks man I will look into ammonium sulfate 

On 5/9/2022 at 1:19 PM, Ltapia said:

I’m currently using sunny land fertilizer anyone have experience with it ? is Palm gain better I have trachys , Mediterranean , robustas? Or any better fertilizer out there ?

if your soil is high in nutrients then save money. get a soil sample along with a water sample done. free at the county agricultural extension.

• Like 2

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

10 hours ago, Ltapia said:

Thanks man I will look into ammonium sulfate 

Be careful.  Hot stuff.  You can burn roots real easy.

• Like 1

Walmart will usually clearance SunniLand fertilizer at the end of summer…only reason I use it. No complaints here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D Palm said:

Walmart will usually clearance SunniLand fertilizer at the end of summer…only reason I use it. No complaints here.

Would you say palm gain is better?

This year I was unable to find palm/shrub fertilizer at all. I’ve been using Lesco 8-0-16 (FL is very high in phosphorous and low in potassium). Lawn fertilizer is too high in nitrogen. I ended up getting Green Rite 6-6-6 as it was all I could find and I needed to feed our palms before fertilizer blackout begins June 1.

But here’s my issue and a possible warning: a few days after spreading the 6-6-6 I woke up yesterday covered in huge ugly red welts. Rushed to my doctor who diagnosed me with a major allergic reaction to something. I got a cortisone shot and a prednisone z-pack but as of today I am still breaking out in hives and the excruciating itching and burning continues. I’m living on benedryl cream and tablets. Last night my husband and I worked out the only difference in our lives was the fertilizer, specifically the phosphorous to which I may be highly allergic. Now I’m scared to associate with any fertilizer containing phosphorous.

Has anyone else had an adverse reaction to phosphorous or any other mineral in ferlizer? My advice is to be very careful.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

13 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

This year I was unable to find palm/shrub fertilizer at all. I’ve been using Lesco 8-0-16 (FL is very high in phosphorous and low in potassium). Lawn fertilizer is too high in nitrogen. I ended up getting Green Rite 6-6-6 as it was all I could find and I needed to feed our palms before fertilizer blackout begins June 1.

But here’s my issue and a possible warning: a few days after spreading the 6-6-6 I woke up yesterday covered in huge ugly red welts. Rushed to my doctor who diagnosed me with a major allergic reaction to something. I got a cortisone shot and a prednisone z-pack but as of today I am still breaking out in hives and the excruciating itching and burning continues. I’m living on benedryl cream and tablets. Last night my husband and I worked out the only difference in our lives was the fertilizer, specifically the phosphorous to which I may be highly allergic. Now I’m scared to associate with any fertilizer containing phosphorous.

Has anyone else had an adverse reaction to phosphorous or any other mineral in ferlizer? My advice is to be very careful.

Dumb question, but are you sure its not chiggers or shingles?

I haven't had an issue with fertilizer, but some rock salt will turn me beet red.

I generally use K-8(15-5-10) for a granular fertilizer, but I have a nutrient poor, alkaline soil.

2 hours ago, amh said:

Dumb question, but are you sure its not chiggers or shingles?

I haven't had an issue with fertilizer, but some rock salt will turn me beet red.

I’ve had shingles and this is nothing like that. Have never been chigger bait. My doctor was absolutely sure I was having a major allergic reaction to something.

I’m going to message him over the weekend to ask whether my suspicion about phosphates might be true and that he put info into my medical records. I’ve been an allergy magnet all my life.

Thanks for your input.

Meg

Florida

7 minutes ago, PalmatierMeg said:

I’ve had shingles and this is nothing like that. Have never been chigger bait. My doctor was absolutely sure I was having a major allergic reaction to something.

I’m going to message him over the weekend to ask whether my suspicion about phosphates might be true and that he put info into my medical records. I’ve been an allergy magnet all my life.

Thanks for your input.

Major allergy magnet myself, so I'm always curious as to what products and ingredients cause reactions in people, but fertilizers usually only cause temporary irritation. The MSDS for greenrite list limestone for a phosphorus source. Hope your condition improves soon.

It’s also major pain that I can’t go out and work in the yard until it clears up.

• Like 1

Meg

Florida

Limestone as a phosphorous source? Seems like no. Beyond calcium carbonate,  Limestone may have like 1%MgO. 

• Upvote 1

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

3 hours ago, Alan_Tampa said:

Limestone as a phosphorous source? Seems like no. Beyond calcium carbonate,  Limestone may have like 1%MgO. 

Depends on where it is from, but I found the error. I was looking at the wrong page; the phosphorus source is common diammonium phosphate.

My bad.

Fertilizer, you get what you pay for. If you get it from Walmart expect Walmart results. What was a glaring omission was the lack for sulfur ( for the west). I think just for the newbies, that want a pelletized fertilizer that is not time released and want to water weekly and apply every 4-6 weeks go with Palmgain. And then supliment with sul-po-mag if needed. I prefer to take it to another level, but I feel like I am in the minority that has had a nursery with an earth science degree.  What works for Florida does not work for NM, Utah, So Cal. maybe even your neighbor in neighborhoods that level out the land for track housing taking away the top soil minerals.

Just plant under a downspout in the shade is the best opinions for locals for Trachycarpus so far, unless your OCD. Those under the downspouts were holding to a good amount of leaves so they  must be absorbing minerals from the lower PH of rainwater ( 6-7). Common in mountainous valleys, very nutrient rich if available to the plants through a lower PH.

Edited by Collectorpalms
  • Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

@PalmatierMeg An allergy test can give you a definitive answer.  @Ltapia SunniLand has been in my yard for years, no complaints. As far as working better? Compared to other granular, maybe. 

I use the HD brand Vigoro for my lawn, because other products burn. Have not used this product for palms or plants. I supplement with Fish Emulsions and Miracle Grow during the spring and summer. 

• Like 1

Glen Saint Mary, FL vs Albuquerque, NM do you think they require same formula for your soil, climate etc.?

• Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 6:20 PM, Collectorpalms said:

Fertilizer, you get what you pay for. If you get it from Walmart expect Walmart results.

I've been ordering it from Amazon, so my results should look like the Amazon.

• Like 1

@Collectorpalms nope. SunniLand is a national brand. The HD fertilizer I use for lawn is specified “for Florida yards.” 

My sandy soil is different than orange Clay down in Ocala, FL. Most County AG centers have an extension per county you can soil test. Various retailers will carry a soil test kit, they were $2-5 a few years ago. Haven’t done one since the major inflation so I couldn’t say what they cost now.

palm species matters too.