IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Washy almost respectable now :

WSimpson

It's got a good start to the season . It's almost respectable and can  look decent into January some years . 

Will

52061768319_31128c0930_b.jpg

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 13
  • Upvote 1

What year did you plant it again and at what size? 

has gained noticeable trunk since last year. Impressive palm and hope it continues to stay healthy

Here it is the day it was planted on 2/21/2011  , so it's been in the ground 11 seasons . This season will be season 12 . 

A053ABE1-CF15-43E3-ADB8-082BE5158ACB.thumb.jpeg.fe4d702fea65862559c953de16bba7d1.jpeg

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 4

You did well with that one.  

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Thanks Allen . With the exception of protecting it some years it's been an easy palm to grow . It'll have a full crown in no time . 

Will

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 4

Will, can you describe your winter protection methods thus far for this palm over since planting in ground? I’m starting with a few young Washingtonias in 7A and want to see them get bigger than me one day :) 

2 hours ago, GEnglish said:

Will, can you describe your winter protection methods thus far for this palm over since planting in ground? I’m starting with a few young Washingtonias in 7A and want to see them get bigger than me one day :) 

Look toward the end here for his post

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

5 hours ago, steve617 said:

Impressive 

Thanks Steve .

It's been fun to grow .

Will

8 hours ago, GEnglish said:

Allen's post shows it with the protection on it . 

There were some years that I left the previous year's petioles and fronds  on the trunk for a skirt effect in the next growing season  , so I would wedge small pieces of rags  in and around the petiole bases to cover and insulate  the lights  . Again ,  I kept the fronds on because I wanted  the old fronds to form a skirt . I stopped doing this because placing all those rags in and around the petiole bases would get yourself cut up by all those spines on the petioles . That was an option when the palm was small but it's too hard to do now , so I cut off all the previous year's fronds now , making it much easier to protect with one straight trunk to protect and no working rags in and  around all those spines . 

Specifically ,  I wrap the trunk with incandescent Xmas lights that get warm . Don't use the LED type because they don't add much heat . I buy my lights from the  1,000bulbs.com   website . 

I wrap the trunk about 2 inches between wraps starting at the top and moving all the way  down the trunk . I use a a few more lights at the top  bud area . I cover the lights with  1 layer of a blankets  but there is some overlap at certain places and widths of the trunk . I mulch the bottom    blanket at the base of the trunk   to keep air from going under the blankets . Then just plug it in . 

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tropicdoc said:

Don’t the blankets get soaking wet?

They dry   out pretty fast it seems being just a layer thick and doubled up in some places , but the outside air and a little wind keeps it dry most of the time . We had 7 days with precipitation of .10" or more  last  January leaving plenty of drying time .Our biggest rain was 1.94" and .64" was the next biggest rain out of the 7 events .. 

3C7533C5-10D5-421C-9218-5941D1E1587E.thumb.jpg.47e283fa70bfa9fbe2a9122eb7987b80.jpg

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 1

So you got the fronds wrapped too? Do they turn yellow from being deprived of sunlight for a few months

1 hour ago, Tropicdoc said:

So you got the fronds wrapped too? Do they turn yellow from being deprived of sunlight for a few months

The fronds will almost every year die back because they are only hardy to about 24F . In the last   100 years   I may have had a winter that didn't get below 24F but that would be very rare  . The good thing is that it puts out about 25-30 fronds a season and can look good into January . So it  can be  respectable looking  from May to early January or 8 months of the year   . A couple years ago I had a 20F on November 13th which cut the " looking respectable " period down a lot . The Low for that winter was 19F so that cold period in November was almost the coldest morning of the winter . 

Below is what it looks like after  Lows below 24F , and what it will look like almost every winter with the exception of a freakishly mild winter . 

Will

14710B9D-5B28-4BCD-8FFB-0AE7A9D45101.thumb.jpeg.ea068053792e589c5f56c77eb62e51e3.jpeg

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tropicdoc said:

Sorry , I didn't answer your question . I'll cut all the fronds off before putting on the protection . It's too tall to leave the fronds on and protect it  . I could leave the fronds on if I don't see any temperatures below 15F , and those fronds would form a skirt the next season . 

Pretty cool how tall its getting...it almost looks like pure Robusta if you went by the trunk.

I planted my first palm in 3 years a few days ago....it is supposed to be a straight Filifera,I hope

it is but it will be fun to have a Washy going again.....hows the T.Princeps doing?

Thanks Jim .

My Filifera died in the 2018 cold snap . If I had  known that  that cold would be so prolonged ,  I would've protected it really well , but instead I half assed the protection and it didn't make it . Another learning lesson . 

Will

On 5/15/2022 at 10:45 AM, Jimhardy said:

Pretty cool how tall its getting...it almost looks like pure Robusta if you went by the trunk.

I planted my first palm in 3 years a few days ago....it is supposed to be a straight Filifera,I hope

it is but it will be fun to have a Washy going again.....hows the T.Princeps doing?

It's got about 3 feet of trunk   now  and the base of the trunk is about fully mature in circumference  . If it doesn't bloom next season  it will almost certainly in the season after  next  season . I hope it is a female . 

52076879672_a85095b5eb_b.jpg

Edited by Will Simpson

21 minutes ago, Will Simpson said:

It's got about 3 feet of trunk   now  and the base of the trunk is about fully mature in circumference  . If it doesn't bloom next season  it will almost certainly in the season after  next  season . I hope it is a female . 

52076879672_a85095b5eb_b.jpg

If you need a Pure Filifera from Habitat or one that survived the Texas Freeze ( maybe better for the south) hit me up in a year or two if you decide to want one. I'll trade.

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

OK

Thanks , I need a Filifera that will look frond decent some winters , and won't need  protection most years , and won't get so tall so fast  .

Will

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 6:28 AM, Will Simpson said:

In the last   100 years   I may have had a winter that didn't get below 24F ...

I had no idea you where that old! Congratulations and "Garden On" :D

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 9:22 AM, Will Simpson said:

Sorry , I didn't answer your question . I'll cut all the fronds off before putting on the protection . It's too tall to leave the fronds on and protect it  . I could leave the fronds on if I don't see any temperatures below 15F , and those fronds would form a skirt the next season . 

Oh I was looking for strategies for my beccariophoenix but that thing puts out like 4-5 fronds a year so not a great strategy for me