IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Nanus, and Princeps

NWpalms@206

Just some new palms to enjoy. If only the sun would come out and stay, 3 weeks to June and I have 39f on for 2 nights of the 10 day forecast. Enough already!! Anyways, Trachycarpus Nanus and Trachycarpus Princeps both 20g, the nanus was said to be mid teens age and is about 3ft. Vashon Island 8b/9a. Good looking palms I’d say. 

0CC8EBBF-4643-472E-AF3A-9CFDC5715F2D.jpeg

B5DD7222-83FA-405A-A8BB-6A86E78263B1.jpeg

5A579C6D-1AD3-494E-B04A-87CD9874A00D.jpeg

B06F05B9-B397-422E-ADE6-5F7AF58934FA.jpeg

2CC460E0-0337-4703-B96E-BA6CF3C5D1FA.jpeg

549FD2ED-3790-4E1F-ABDF-629C96DBAD01.jpeg

5D0F8BB7-50E8-41D2-ADE2-2E07FB84EF90.jpeg

748F0BA4-092C-4AA2-A0BF-59BD204BC670.jpeg

Edited by NWpalms@206
  • Like 3

Ok... I know most addicts know better than to ask this in public but who's your dealer?  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

Ok... I know most addicts know better than to ask this in public but who's your dealer?  

lol these actually came from a guy named Bryan, in Renton WA, he had a video of his jubaea he brought from San Diego floating around, that maybe chesterB uploaded I think? has a pretty impressive place and collection. BackYardTropicals I believe is his Facebook page. Knowledgeable and passionate for palms that’s for sure, can talk to ya all day about palms! 

I think I know who he is, Bryan Labounty.  He has a youtube channel and is in the process of establishing a commercial location.  He's doing a lot of work to the site himself by hand and documenting occasionally on youtube. 

Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Trustandi said:

The princeps is so beautiful! 

Isn’t it, I’ll probably grow this one out a few yrs in the 20g and give it a nice dapple shade microclimate. Really a nice looking variation. Supposedly not quite as hardy as fortunei. 

Edited by NWpalms@206

16 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

I think I know who he is, Bryan Labounty.  He has a youtube channel and is in the process of establishing a commercial location.  He's doing a lot of work to the site himself by hand and documenting occasionally on youtube. 

Thanks. 

Yes that’s him, one man show guy works his ass off that’s for sure. 

T. nanus usually looks more delicate with very deeply and evenly split leaves. Also, it should be flowering at this size. I am not saying it is not a nanus but an unusual one for sure, maybe a hybrid?

6 hours ago, Flow said:

T. nanus usually looks more delicate with very deeply and evenly split leaves. Also, it should be flowering at this size. I am not saying it is not a nanus but an unusual one for sure, maybe a hybrid?

I have thought of this possibility. I’ve seen a lot of nanus pics lately and some look like mine some look more like you describe. I can only take the sources word for it as he seems to have a reliable reputation. I Have also read that they can take until teens to flower. Said his collection of nanus was 12-17 yrs old, this one a bigger one of the group but not biggest.  I would expect flowering soon whatever it is. Got the funky sideways clumping trunk for sure. 

6C122BB2-A3EF-46FF-978E-1DB2FDA4F02A.jpeg

09DE595F-4263-482E-BE49-538201E57339.png

D1D4055C-D37B-4A73-B7B8-18EAE075D907.png

Edited by NWpalms@206
  • Upvote 1

Looking closer actually looks like a flower stalk was trimmed off, ( at the base in second pic) it’s oval not half moon like the cut off fronds. Appears to be flower stalk?

Edited by NWpalms@206