IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Needle Palm Spear Pull Recovery

ColumbusPalm

Hey All,

My Needle Palm spear pulled in March and I’ve been liberally treating with copper fungicide and did peroxide after the initial pull. Saw 0F in Z6. 

Today there is good news! I’ve been checking every week or so and no sign of life in the main trunk until today. The suckers all survived and are growing already. 

Don’t give up on your spear pull victims! 

Nate 

60D7CBA0-5073-44EB-BB7E-6C4F4226FED8.thumb.jpeg.dc777377e2b0af187333f1e0c6775c2a.jpegD4E8859B-9DE4-43BA-AEF0-C150D4EA23FB.thumb.jpeg.b8e313422a09219d00c039bb2a59cd52.jpeg8C9D742F-6CB4-45DA-8295-C7BEE30677A6.thumb.jpeg.418c0c3f9791b5e83cb858e769147302.jpeg

Edited by ColumbusPalm
  • Like 5

I have 3  Trachycarpus fortunei Taylor Forms that make up a lot of the tall Trachys in the Raleigh, NC  parks , and when I first bought them from PDN and planted them from tiny little pots ,  they would have  spear pull every year for about 4 years after planting them outside . Now they seem bulletproof and never lose their spears . 

I remember those first few years in early spring watching the spears discolor , even after a mild winter ,  and when I tugged on the spears they all pulled  out . Then I hated that waiting period of watching for signs of life for the next several weeks and being elated when I saw new growth . All 3 of my Taylor Forms made it from that first batch of 3 and are trunking and  flowering to this day . One is a female and has already produced seedlings underneath it . 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Will Simpson said:

I have 3  Trachycarpus fortunei Taylor Forms that make up a lot of the tall Trachys in the Raleigh, NC  parks , and when I first bought them from PDN and planted them from tiny little pots ,  they would have  spear pull every year for about 4 years after planting them outside . Now they seem bulletproof and never lose their spears . 

I remember those first few years in early spring watching the spears discolor , even after a mild winter ,  and when I tugged on the spears they all pulled  out . Then I hated that waiting period of watching for signs of life for the next several weeks and being elated when I saw new growth . All 3 of my Taylor Forms made it from that first batch of 3 and are trunking and  flowering to this day . One is a female and has already produced seedlings underneath it . 

That’s awesome Will, I know what you mean. The waiting was the worst part, as is always with plants haha. 

Gorgeous needle, is it shade grown?  

Any palm that sees 0f and pulls through is a champ!  

Is that your only one?

• Like 1

I'll have to check on mine after seeing this thread. It was a nasty winter for this region.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

Gorgeous needle, is it shade grown?  

Any palm that sees 0f and pulls through is a champ!  

Is that your only one?

Yes! It is planted on the North side, gets maybe an hour of sun at the end of the day. It is my only Needle planted, I have some in pots I am taking up to the new house with me and will plant some more for sure! 

12 hours ago, Las Palmas Norte said:

I'll have to check on mine after seeing this thread. It was a nasty winter for this region.

I was pleasantly surprised! Hope yours pulls through. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 10:52 AM, ColumbusPalm said:

Hope yours pulls through.

"pulls" through ...:D pulled out anyway.  I just check it as best I can without getting stabbed by needles. There does not seem to be any visible green spears. It's been dreadfully cold for this time of year. Seems like we're at least 6 weeks to 2 months behind in the temperature department. Maybe if we get any warmer weather, it might start new spears.