Billy

Palms of the parking lot

Billy

Your wish is my command! This thread is to continue the “another day in paradise” thread of a Taco Bell parking lot on O’ahu. Here’s my contribution…a nice Bizzie with some Aechmea blanchetiana and Dypsis lutescens in the back. Looking a lot more like Florida than Southern California. Not bad! Just goes to show what can be done with choosing the right plants. Not too difficult. Can’t we get some palmy people in charge to make things more beautiful?! 

F911BFE1-5D02-4E66-83C1-049A0B1C6335.jpeg

EDB10FA7-68E7-4F3F-A1C1-D4A28668F6FE.jpeg

330B7142-1D37-4C03-B867-14B193E5F69C.jpeg

8DDEDD8F-57EB-4043-8F53-66D94F751AC8.jpeg

86334A10-3008-4E93-ADF7-D4522E104789.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Billy

This is gunna be a fun thread...I can already imagine some other palmy parking lots in the area. We'll see if someone beats me to it! 

• Like 1

Tracy
18 minutes ago, Billy said:

This is gunna be a fun thread...I can already imagine some other palmy parking lots in the area. We'll see if someone beats me to it! 

"Gonzer" was responsible for the Bismarckia planting and probably the others you just posted in downtown Carlsbad on Elm Street.   He worked for the City.  We have some nice plantings on Leucadia Blvd that were done as part of the widening and extension they did going through Ecke Ranch to El Camino Real a few years ago.

• Like 2

Billy

Indeed, Tracy! Leucadia blvd's Howeas, Braheas, Chamaerops, etc. are stunning! Hands down the prettiest of our Camino Real connecter streets. We need more people like Gonzer in charge. 

spike

I've noticed here in LA, the taco bells always have raveneas planted. They are fully grown and some are flowering and fruiting. (not these though)

1281501731_Screenshot(70).png.10910bb09c4845304c9403442d920747.png

• Like 7

Billy

Very nice majesties! The crown has always reminded me of a coconut ever since I started noticing them around town as a kid. There's a really nice one in someone's front yard near Jungle Music. 

Xerarch
39 minutes ago, Tracy said:

"Gonzer" was responsible for the Bismarckia planting and probably the others you just posted in downtown Carlsbad on Elm Street.   He worked for the City.  We have some nice plantings on Leucadia Blvd that were done as part of the widening and extension they did going through Ecke Ranch to El Camino Real a few years ago.

We could really use someone at the city with some imagination. Washy, Sabal, welp other than that they're fresh out of ideas.

Billy

In-n-out always does their palmy theme as well. The one at Palomar Airport road in Carlsbad put in some howeas and a bismarckia to step up the game and compliment the usual 2 crossed up washies. 

Billeb

SD Zoo parking lot area is crazy. I’ll snap some pictures next time I go. 

-dale

• Like 2

JohnAndSancho

There aren't a ton of palms here - Taco Cabana has some Sabals, but this location is primarily known for food poisoning :sick: I'll get pics next time I go to the Whataburger next door for my biscuits and gravy fix. 

Little Tex

The Papasito's chain here has great parking lots, probably every cold hardy palm you could imagine, Ill get pictures soon.

• Upvote 1

JohnAndSancho
51 minutes ago, Little Tex said:

The Papasito's chain here has great parking lots, probably every cold hardy palm you could imagine, Ill get pictures soon.

Ooooooh Papasito's. One more excuse for me to drive back to Houston. 

Jtee
3 hours ago, Little Tex said:

Pappadeaux which is owned by the same people has a restaurant in Albuquerque that has two windmill palms near the entrance. 

Jim in Los Altos

Lots of palms in parking lots here but they’re almost exclusively Queen palms. I wish the landscape contractors were a little more creative. 

2588D09E-7530-4A2C-98C0-220C54B8A475.thumb.jpeg.59cdad9294f34391ba3fd35cff37196a.jpeg

4DB93FCA-A02C-4A20-9071-FAC1E4812518.thumb.jpeg.163161bdf7c997cfae3e268c706199a2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Tracy

Another In-n-out.  Encinitas, CA

Caryota is the theme here.

20220508_153019.jpg

• Like 4

pohonkelapa
On 5/8/2022 at 1:26 PM, Billeb said:

SD Zoo parking lot area is crazy. I’ll snap some pictures next time I go. 

-dale

i just posted some in the "balboa park palm walk" thread. They have planted a lot of new stuff in the parking lot and its doing well!

OC2Texaspalmlvr

Speaking of parking lots South Plaza in Costa Mesa literally is a palm sanctuary. I can only imagine that SoCal Palm Society had something to do with those plantings. I haven't been there in prolly 10 years but Royals line one of the streets and they even had a large Caryota Gigas and Urens, I imagine those are prolly gone by now after seeding. I'm sure some of the OC locals have some nice pics of the palms there. Google maps would be a great source.

T J 

Looking Glass

There are some really nice professional palm plantings in parking lots around here, which I’ll remember to photograph someday.  But I was out this gloomy morning and took a few pics of neglected interesting palmate palms at various stop signs I pass every day.   

Endless sabals all look exactly the same around here, except whatever this is.   It’s a silvery, costopalmate palm, next to the crack store.  It gets no water and no care except over pruning.  

405C37FB-0064-46F2-AC83-D0FD0C3EDFBF.thumb.jpeg.2a336730f799619100fd340a63031044.jpeg

This lonely Leucothrinax moressii sits randomly on another corner.   

AF175328-18FA-43A7-9142-1035FCBABA64.thumb.jpeg.6821e8662463b834d2369decece41084.jpeg

For a while I thought these were Thrinax radiata, but now I think they are an ever sprouting clump of Livistona chinensis, I think there are 7-8 if you count the little volunteers that are behind the big ones   

C4D7F63E-DC6F-40B1-BDC8-C6DE959E2964.thumb.jpeg.c112ca817e5af93092b1c419b0fc1293.jpeg

They won’t win any beauty contests, but are still kind of interesting.  

Here’s my favorite group of actual Thrinax radiata from the Dick’s parking lot.

3865717C-90CF-4A02-A721-076240CE8640.thumb.jpeg.2aa580a1965a6088ed8522f8738868ff.jpeg

Edited by Looking Glass
  • Like 1