IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachy Fortunei demolished by winter… help!

frondly

Hey everyone. I have two 3ft trunk 5” diameter TFs, they’ve been enjoying in ground here for 3 years. Zone 8b to 9a in BC gulf islands.

this past winter was what it was, 100 year rains and 50 yr colds… after 1000 year heat in the summer of course!

so I got to the cabin and they are looking really bad. Just traces of green inside but otherwise super damaged. Any suggestions on repair techniques?

I have some new palms from @ShadyDan that I am stoked to get in the ground… but this takes a bit of wind out of the sails… :(

Thanks All!

895F9016-77CD-41CD-8A8F-24C49108058C.jpeg

920038EB-5096-44C7-9945-2F96610F74C3.jpeg

EB1A3182-D35D-4B17-AF09-28A1B987D9E3.jpeg

C7BDDB9F-C5BF-416F-B844-F1A5E319495A.jpeg

657B6008-92E7-4B32-8730-54C57B3B3180.jpeg

Those didn't look to be to healthy before winter.  If you don't see any green spear coming up I would trunk cut these.   They should have been treated with copper fungicide a month or 2 ago.  Were these palms planted as dug/burlapped palms or potted palms?  They just didn't seem as healthy as they should be after 3 years judging from the old fronds.

• Upvote 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

They were out of pots far too rootbound that a cafe had kept too long before selling all their plants as a liquidation. And they were getting better through last spring but the heat dome and 45c weather nuked them in July. Then the atmospheric river, then the polar vortex and they were alone thru all that…

What is the trunk cut procedure you mention?

16 minutes ago, frondly said:

They were out of pots far too rootbound that a cafe had kept too long before selling all their plants as a liquidation. And they were getting better through last spring but the heat dome and 45c weather nuked them in July. Then the atmospheric river, then the polar vortex and they were alone thru all that…

What is the trunk cut procedure you mention?

The palms apparently then were not watered well and were in poor condition going into winter and have rotted from the cold.  A good condition Trachycarpus would be ok.  

Before cutting pull on the dead fronds and center spears to see if they pull out.  If they do and you see no sign of a green center trunk cut.  To trunk cut you will need to take a hand saw and start 2-3 inches from the top and keep cutting down a few inches at a time until you see SOLID firm white material at the center of the trunk.  Cut the trunk at a slight angle facing South to shed water and encourage growth.  You can take a stick and put down the center hole to judge where to start first cut.  

Edited by Allen

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

Got it thanks. I tested for speak pull already and there was no give at all, so they seem intact in that regard and there is visible bright green in the Center, maybe a half inch showing ever so slightly. So I guess no trunk cut needed yet. I suppose just cut all the brown stems back. Think I should give them fertilizer?

re water, they had timed water from a barrel thru the summer, and then dressed a mulch and seaweed. if anything would have been submerged pre winter from the crazy storms which all happened after I had shut it down for the winter. I probably should have had a cover on them but thought they were resilient enough. Though with the winter weather they likely would have been encased in frozen snow for a month… 

Mark the spear with a sharpie and a old frond at same height and see if spear moves in a week.  Wouldn't hurt to treat with copper fungicide if you have access to some.   No fertilizer till you see a couple fronds.  Make sure it stays watered.

Edited by Allen

No problem  Go visit Banana Joe at Salt Spring Island and pick up some palms and advice on planting there.

• Upvote 1