IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bentinckia condapanna

WaianaeCrider

Planted 10/20 from one gallon from FB.

1 1/2 years later WOOZER  It will be ready for full sun this November.  Tallest frond almost 5' high.

Bentinckia condapanna 20201017_120621.jpg

Bentinckia condapanna 20220506_141520.jpg

• Like 13
  • Upvote 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

28 minutes ago, WaianaeCrider said:

Planted 10/20 from one gallon from FB. ...

A happy palm smiling back for the photo.

Ryan

• Like 1

South Florida

Your soil looks wicked good there.   Great progress. 

I have two condapanna in pots and two in the ground--one in sun and one in shade--in Fort Lauderdale. 

IMG_5464.thumb.JPG.bd14942d92e48ee32d57a645983b7ecb.JPG

Here's the base. 

IMG_5465.thumb.JPG.52faab499570a520ca47b9137e557cf6.JPG

This is in a pot that gets mid afternoon sun:

IMG_5466.thumb.JPG.501cf8fb07051153cbbe9f23f7a32371.JPG

The one in shade is taller and leggier, and doesn't look as good (so many potted palms around it is can be hard to see):

IMG_5470.thumb.JPG.0d95f8a85bb29a5635c0c3fc0582589e.JPG

IMG_5465.JPG

IMG_5466.JPG

IMG_5470.JPG

Edited by Kaname-kun
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kaname-kun said:

I have two condapanna in pots and two in the ground--one in sun and one in shade--in Fort Lauderdale. 

Here's the base. 

The one in shade is taller and leggier, and doesn't look as good (so many potted palms around it is can be hard to see):

IMG_5465.JPG

IMG_5466.JPG

IMG_5470.JPG

That’s impressive! I’ve heard that they don’t grow well in Florida but yours look great. How long have they been in the ground? 

Edited by Justin31703

I obtained one about 15 months ago for a feature spot where I wanted an attractive fast grower and I've been trying to baby it since so of course it has done almost nothing and seems to be just sitting there very slowly putting out a couple leaves...

2 hours ago, Justin31703 said:

That’s impressive! I’ve heard that they don’t grow well in Florida but yours look great. How long have they been in the ground? 

A year and a half in the ground . . . . so they've seen both summer and winter.

56 minutes ago, Brad52 said:

I obtained one about 15 months ago for a feature spot where I wanted an attractive fast grower and I've been trying to baby it since so of course it has done almost nothing and seems to be just sitting there very slowly putting out a couple leaves...

Brad, these grow like weeds here in East Hawaii even in pots. Maybe you just got a wimpy one. Look how fast Steve’s is growing, should be similar. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

6 hours ago, Kaname-kun said:

Here's the base. 

IMG_5465.JPG

IMG_5466.JPG

IMG_5470.JPG

I guess the one in the shade is "reaching" for the sun thus legger.

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

6 hours ago, Kaname-kun said:

Those look like they are doing great!

I have a few in the ground and a few in pots. I love these palms even though it is somewhat marginal for me. This one below is the one currently performing the best for me. As you can see it gets filtered light. It’s been in the ground about 2 1/2 years. By the way, the little guy next to it is a Cyphosperma balansae which is even more marginal for me I would say. Planted at the same time. It’s slow but no signs of wanting to die yet.

326F3D6E-2F65-4F7E-80B5-2B26BC6C28B5.thumb.jpeg.b07b054691b298e7ec506b5249c13521.jpeg803276FE-F6C1-4AD4-93F9-DD42E468F584.thumb.jpeg.e4931d5577fe49292e75467a22b5a558.jpeg6F2AF484-6078-493E-9EA8-E03B980FCA87.thumb.jpeg.e14d587307909f82b9e46f9a01dc87cb.jpeg2BAD7750-4666-405B-BC66-395915D19D55.thumb.jpeg.a8e0532c6851175da29a485248d0eb80.jpeg777AA071-C100-4606-857C-80219E3E2919.thumb.jpeg.649cb93d5a49ad9d77e032ba22dfdc5e.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, realarch said:

Brad, these grow like weeds here in East Hawaii even in pots. Maybe you just got a wimpy one. Look how fast Steve’s is growing, should be similar. 

Tim

Perhaps I'll show it Steve's for inspiration as my TLC has not yet produced the desired results, a nearby A catechu has grown 5 feet taller in the same timeframe while this bloke has just thickened up a bit.

2 hours ago, Brad52 said:

Perhaps I'll show it Steve's for inspiration as my TLC has not yet produced the desired results, a nearby A catechu has grown 5 feet taller in the same timeframe while this bloke has just thickened up a bit.

I g uess a lot depends also on soil.  This is planted up sloap from my "dry" stream bed on a terrace.  I have no idea about soil.  My place would have been in the center of the caldera of the Wai`anae volcano.  Add a few million years of erosion and whatever takes place ovr that time to convert basalt in to browish/red soil.  It was under about  60^ shade cloth for over a year and the shade of scrup haole koa and a good sized oleander tree.  It seems to have shot up when I removed the cloth about 4 months ago..

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

Everything I plant is in bagged soil and shredded mulch.  My best guess is that mine wanted more water than it got for a few months but then again mine probably got more than yours did!

2 hours ago, Brad52 said:

Everything I plant is in bagged soil and shredded mulch.  My best guess is that mine wanted more water than it got for a few months but then again mine probably got more than yours did!

I dig a hole in whatever my soil is and back fill w/black lava gravel and store bought potting mix.  Then I  mix in a bit of the "native" soil.  So far works pretty good.

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

Here are 3 that I’ve been growing for the last year or so. 2 are in 2 gal pots and the larger one is in the ground since late February early March. The 2 gals. have been under covered patio or 60% shade cloth the whole time and the larger one is getting about 5-6 hours of full sun. 

D81982F3-209E-4CBF-A9B4-57A13E7B51FB.jpeg

9EB098E1-EBBE-4BF0-8CC5-BB0605B7FC3C.jpeg

FE5F1D71-B645-4F04-B10F-07BDA2A0810F.jpeg

• Like 3

Here's mine from a 1 gal planted around 15 months ago, this is pretty slow for east HI as I compare it to others I've seen and what I was told to expect...

bent cond 5-9-22.jpeg

• Like 5

Brad, actually looks pretty good and like it’s ready to take off. Notice how thick the trunk has gotten, noe it’s time to go up. Be patient.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

But I don't have time to be patient!  I was a tad disappointed at it and then I saw John H's which were 3x the size of mine at around the same age and I really started scowling at it...guess it's John's fault...

I'm hoping that the next few months will see it leap, thus far my wife tolerates my palm addiction and largely doesn't comment on them but this one is in the only spot where she wanted a palm - she build the lava bed for it, and she gripes at how much slower it is than I told her it would be.

• Like 1

Love this palm; so much that I put two in the ground. One in a more sunny spot one that gets a more shade (eventually growing into more sun). These have only been in the ground about 2 years from 1 gallon plants so they have been surprisingly good growers for me in coastal southern. California. The one in more sun grows at a bit of a stronger rate. 

IMG_2855.thumb.jpeg.06352263d352af802568978ae759d4d9.jpeg

IMG_2856.thumb.jpeg.676d76a532914fffe15a2b2b9af187f4.jpeg

IMG_2854.thumb.jpeg.d55486fb38e113e5c4735e9074abda9c.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Brad52 said:

Here's mine from a 1 gal planted around 15 months ago, this is pretty slow for east HI...

20 minutes ago, -2 brian said:

These have only been in the ground about 2 years from 1 gallon plants so they have been surprisingly good growers for me in coastal southern. California...

Funny how it's all just a matter of perspective. When I first got into palms I was impatient. There was a palm I really wanted for a key spot in the front yard, but dismissed due to it taking a "whopping 10 years" to mature. Now I'm buying seedlings (and even seeds)... and making comments like "Wow, that one might actually have a trunk in 10-15yrs" or "Maybe I'll live long enough to see that one reach it's full glory... wouldn't that be amazing!"

That said, I have indeed "cheated" a couple times, buying larger palms for a few key spots in the yard (esp if it's a known slow-grower). But I'm most excited now about the tiny ones that have amazing potential. And that's a new perspective for me... I thought I was pretty patient before, but have since learned what true patience is. They're also pretty cute when small.

* That short/fat Bentinckia is awesome... trunk to height ratio is much higher than any I've seen. Bet it will be a chunky monkey. :wub:

• Like 3

Stacey Wright  |  Graphic Designer

56 minutes ago, iDesign said:

r "Maybe I'll live long enough to see that one reach it's full glory... wouldn't that be amazing!"

LOL  I say that all the time.  LOL  I'm 78 and only buy 1 gal or larger, (once in a blue moon larger because of the hole I have to dig then to plant.)

I have 9 more coming in maybe next week.  "Wonder if I"ll live long enough to see them in all their glory."   LOL

• Like 3

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

7 hours ago, iDesign said:
Funny how it's all just a matter of perspective. When I first got into palms I was impatient. There was a palm I really wanted for a key spot in the front yard, but dismissed due to it taking a "whopping 10 years" to mature. Now I'm buying seedlings (and even seeds)... and making comments like "Wow, that one might actually have a trunk in 10-15yrs" or "Maybe I'll live long enough to see that one reach it's full glory... wouldn't that be amazing!"That said, I have indeed "cheated" a couple times, buying larger palms for a few key spots in the yard (esp if it's a known slow-grower). But I'm most excited now about the tiny ones that have amazing potential. And that's a new perspective for me... I thought I was pretty patient before, but have since learned what true patience is. They're also pretty cute when small.

* That short/fat Bentinckia is awesome... trunk to height ratio is much higher than any I've seen. Bet it will be a chunky monkey. :wub:

Everyone’s here looks really great.  There’s some delayed gratification starting small, but the payoff should be well worth it.  There’s something nice about watching something grow from a little sprout to a big tree, plus many palms are actually most attractive in early and middle age.  

That being said, I know some people view it as kind of bragging to plop a giant awesome palm pic into these threads sometimes, but I love to see mature pics in all of their glory… along with a little backstory about how they got that way.  Gives the rest of us something to aspire to.  

• Like 2

Here is a thread from a few years back of some mature and younger specimens. 

Brad, yours might be twice the size this time next year. 

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I think mine might be a bit of a dud, we asked Jeff M for an attractive fast grower and he said his B condapanna had sized up the fastest of about any of his so we went with it but thus far my nearby P coronata, A triandra, V joannis, A catechu and a few others have put on substantially more growth than the B condapanna and any of them would have filled in the empty spot much better to date anyway.  In about any other site I would not think twice about its development but in this spot where my non-palm geek spouse wants a showcase palm it really stands out as being comparatively slow.  I might end up replacing it in that spot if the right candidate crosses my path.

Brad, ever consider a Clinostigma? Fast growing and vigerous root that con navigate super rocky soils.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I was going to see if we couldn't get Tim or Dean to post some pics of their more mature B. condapanna but it looks like Tim beat me to it.

This is my all time favorite palm. There are 2 gardens on the Big Island that had specimens before they became commercially available, and I would regularly visit them.

B. condapanna has been a difficult grow for us. Not because the palm is a problem but there is some borer and the banana moth that love them in our location. Now on our 4th try, this time got some in 20 gal pts with about 3 inch of trunk in early 2020 and planted them out in 2021 after finishing building the house. Here are some pics from this morning,

gmp

DSCF5011.JPG.b4986b306e76178f52c537db7d98dd68.JPG

DSCF5008.JPG.ddfe8a7581603f249ae7d7a67bf03966.JPG

• Like 6

Brad

It is possible you got a dud.  A few times I've planted a group from the same batch of seeds where most did great and one just failed to thrive  But overall most of the time things grow pretty fast.  Yours looks fine to me.

Here is my experience with this species.  I'm a lot wetter than you (150" per year) and it's growing in about a foot of black cinder and compost extending at least ten feet in all directions.  More or less full sun.

Six months after going into the ground from a 5G Floribunda pot.

534254048_BentinkiacondapanaNov2013-crop.thumb.jpg.a046a18d0cb60b5dd2bf64f98752824b.jpg

Two years later it had some trunk and that fantastically colored crownshaft.

1349549210_BentinkiacondapanaMay2016-1.thumb.jpeg.49c456e4ad2170ad6f86579bf7cd234a.jpeg

Here it is today (9 years in the ground) with about ten feet of trunk.

2093008594_Bentinckiacondapanafullheight-1.thumb.jpeg.8948b585fa664b47f0ea5a5a1cb9d731.jpeg

Not obvious in this photo is the very colorful inflorescence and fruit. This species just gets more beautiful with age.  Regarding Tim's suggestion to replace it with Clinostigma, I'd recommend first checking other palm gardens in HPP to see how they are growing with your elevation and rain.  C samoense can be incredibly fast in the right place, but seems to need gawd awful amounts of rain.  I've seen some very sad Clinostigmas down your way that just are not getting sufficient rain to look their best.  When B condapanna begins to fruit, it really adds to their beauty.  When Clinostigma fruit, I think it detracts from their overall elegant appearance.  Just my personal opinion.  Bottom line, I'd give yours another year or two to settle in and take off before you dig it up. 

• Like 7

As usual, your palms look awesome Rick, that's what I'm hoping for.  Regarding the Clinostigma, I currently have 2 of them planted but they might be too large for this site, I'm wanting something that stays shorter than the house and I fear they would not, maybe the B condapanna will not either but I think the Clinostigma would be too tall.  

Rick one of mine looks great and one looks very thirsty, I suspect that at best I get half of your rainfall and I have to do lot of hose watering which gets old trying to hand water an acre of plants so I've been a bit underwatering lots of things.  Before buying down here I researched and it looked like we would get around 100" but that has not been my experience.  I saw where Tim said he had 15" this month in Hilo and I'm at around 4" but it seems to have rained some here about every day since early April until today so I have not had to water anything since March.