Jump to content
The Gerg

Nice DD’s in Ventura (Show Yours)

Recommended Posts

The Gerg

No, not that.

In a different post recently I posted my discovery of this Dypsis decipiens I stumbled across while dropping off my sons friend. It’s right next door to their house. At rough inspection I thought it had split into two trunks with a third on the way.
0446E103-6911-4F9D-8DBD-20B9471EC369.thumb.jpeg.f4170fe28de4d43a28f1bdcf867693e5.jpegEBD013A8-FFD5-4C91-89E9-09B87A6DC232.thumb.jpeg.951b98ead1bce09c02763e0d8a2a66d2.jpeg

A few days ago I went back for final inspection and actually got out of my vehicle and saw it actually has split into 3 trunks with a fourth on the way.

FB321777-07A6-4B36-B8D1-FD106E76152F.thumb.jpeg.1d8f81f2041721ba4c1f013ab984a777.jpegD3F247AB-A4BE-43FB-B5E3-6A576F048260.thumb.jpeg.8c014e5fb5c962fbb143bab2b6876064.jpeg6DB20DF5-15E9-4347-A04B-B332A51D4732.thumb.jpeg.e6c71bfb897aaabdf9e340ff7bcb10db.jpeg09E93EDE-DB95-4B79-9047-58ACACFF25C8.thumb.jpeg.ba6f9684ef919d4f93d611dfe32cee39.jpegF172E0A1-EE03-413A-8CAF-E232C07A14FF.thumb.jpeg.342630f423f2487dd0300bcb012b50ce.jpeg
 

So with this discovery and the two at Pauline Sullivan’s famous property there is no shortage of nice DD’s in Ventura. 
Unfortunately with mine below I will likely be dead (or my wife have put me in a home) before they ever reach this size, but I will enjoy them during the journey. 

2F7FC6C0-4D9B-4D7D-9119-C047A040599B.thumb.jpeg.9582ea2a5bf395813a105e562e221c4e.jpegCE164820-1385-49E2-9691-559DB2C44573.thumb.jpeg.3a943ec084f6b8579469702ba6c78a21.jpeg
 

Show us your DD’s.

 

 

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
amh

Sorry, I'm only an A cup.

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Little Tex
1 hour ago, amh said:

Sorry, I'm only an A cup.

I knew someone would make a joke like that:floor:

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
amh
7 minutes ago, Little Tex said:

I knew someone would make a joke like that:floor:

I just couldn't resist, especially with the lack of on topic replies.

With its subject matter, this should be a popular thread.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JohnAndSancho

This title is misleading 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BigFrond

Yeah, it is

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bubba

I cannot! Beautiful palm!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kailua_Krish

These look so nice in California. They seem to grow well in Hawaii but don't look nearly as nice/unique as the ones you've posted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
realarch

Pretty spectacular growing in a planting strip no less. 

Tim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim in Los Altos

I have a triple in full sun and a much younger single in full shade. pretty carefree palms. The largest of the triple has three trunk rings showing since these photos were taken and growth speed has accelerated. 
 

44180184-DF23-4A43-A7E1-E37783A40F5B.thumb.jpeg.a8cdfccd839e224dec8040c4dc625616.jpeg

C70499F9-FFC3-4595-ADF6-827513212E40.thumb.jpeg.5420be275327e86a970c15a45376aba4.jpeg

9F82BA63-A591-41A2-8D87-A659A9A3028E.thumb.jpeg.93c4d71a3d6260a47be520f7aed4d12c.jpeg

3542B915-A04C-4005-8B9E-664D037EC64E.thumb.jpeg.40d11ad6076966627fa4dfea7b653a4e.jpeg

 

A00C6A35-7CA1-4096-AB15-2082068B3276.jpeg

Edited by Jim in Los Altos
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tracy
On 5/6/2022 at 7:50 AM, The Gerg said:

Unfortunately with mine below I will likely be dead (or my wife have put me in a home) before they ever reach this size, but I will enjoy them during the journey. 

2F7FC6C0-4D9B-4D7D-9119-C047A040599B.thumb.jpeg.9582ea2a5bf395813a105e562e221c4e.jpeg

Patience... some of these will grow faster than you think and like so many palms, growth accelerates with age.  I have posted my two plantings and yes, the one that has split into 4 trunks is still pretty small after almost 12 years.  The second one I planted much later that only split once has been much faster not surprisingly.  Watching solitary Dypsis pembana grow taller faster and have thicker trunks than clumping ones just further confirms my hypothesis that the more they split, the more energy they spread out and the slower the overall progress will be, particularly with multiple splits when still small.

Well you asked for DD, and here are the latest photos of my double DD, and quadruple DD.  The gate to the right and behind the double is about 6' tall and the pillars are a little over 6'.  Last photo is that same plant when I put it in the ground from a citrus plant in July 2015. That is pretty decent growth in just under 7 years for the now double which was single when I planted it.

20220507-BH3I7494.jpg

20220507-BH3I7495.jpg

20150706-LI9A1197.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Gerg

These look amazing Jim. Thanks for posting them.

7 hours ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

I have a triple in full sun and a much younger single in full shade. pretty carefree palms. The largest of the triple has three trunk rings showing since these photos were taken and growth speed has accelerated. 
 

44180184-DF23-4A43-A7E1-E37783A40F5B.thumb.jpeg.a8cdfccd839e224dec8040c4dc625616.jpeg

C70499F9-FFC3-4595-ADF6-827513212E40.thumb.jpeg.5420be275327e86a970c15a45376aba4.jpeg

9F82BA63-A591-41A2-8D87-A659A9A3028E.thumb.jpeg.93c4d71a3d6260a47be520f7aed4d12c.jpeg

3542B915-A04C-4005-8B9E-664D037EC64E.thumb.jpeg.40d11ad6076966627fa4dfea7b653a4e.jpeg

 

A00C6A35-7CA1-4096-AB15-2082068B3276.jpeg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Gerg

Thanks for sharing Tracy.  Those are looking good. Putting on size. The little one I posted has split into two. I have another one about that same size still in a pot that has just recently started a second growing point. So according to your hypothesis of being slower when they split (which I concur) these will likely be pretty slow for awhile as they are still young and have already split. I do have a very young third one in a pot as well. Maybe that will stay solitary.

1 hour ago, Tracy said:

Patience... some of these will grow faster than you think and like so many palms, growth accelerates with age.  I have posted my two plantings and yes, the one that has split into 4 trunks is still pretty small after almost 12 years.  The second one I planted much later that only split once has been much faster not surprisingly.  Watching solitary Dypsis pembana grow taller faster and have thicker trunks than clumping ones just further confirms my hypothesis that the more they split, the more energy they spread out and the slower the overall progress will be, particularly with multiple splits when still small.

Well you asked for DD, and here are the latest photos of my double DD, and quadruple DD.  The gate to the right and behind the double is about 6' tall and the pillars are a little over 6'.  Last photo is that same plant when I put it in the ground from a citrus plant in July 2015. That is pretty decent growth in just under 7 years for the now double which was single when I planted it.

20220507-BH3I7494.jpg

20220507-BH3I7495.jpg

20150706-LI9A1197.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tracy
On 5/8/2022 at 7:17 AM, The Gerg said:

So according to your hypothesis of being slower when they split (which I concur) these will likely be pretty slow for awhile as they are still young and have already split. I do have a very young third one in a pot as well. Maybe that will stay solitary.

That is my theory, in particular  when they split young and the bases are similar in size.  My thinking is that the root system is the same as a solitary, so they are just competing for the nutrients versus the solitary is taking it all in.  If there is a dominant one in size, it may be less of a problem.  Where I have 4 growth points with my smaller one, I think that has slowed growth.  Jim's in Los Altos has 3 if I remember correctly, but clearly one dominant trunk.  I think you will be fine with the ones that have only split once.  My biggest recommendation would be to get them out of the pots and into the ground.... then they will rock and roll!

20220611-BH3I7915.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JubaeaMan138

Heavily shade grown plant  from @Perito palm was damn near solid maroon when I planted it . All that burned off heavily and I’m left with this beautiful new leaf that is half the length and solid green . It’s happy . I’m sitting on a big 15 gallon waiting to finish a project in the backyard before I plant it . 

image.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tracy

You have to love it when these have new spears that are beginning to open into leaves.  I noticed the pink as I was walking out to get the mail and had to get my camera to capture the color.

20220617-BH3I7972.jpg

20220617-BH3I7973.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...