IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Green Soil Moisture Meters

Breaktheory

Hello…

Are these green meters reliable? The soil deep under the tree is still reading an 8 for 3 days after a watering. Should I water a newly planted tree even if soil is reading an 8 - I’ve been advised to just water the heck out of royals.

Thanks!

24225CAC-D9CB-4375-BD65-2C203A731ABB.jpeg

Royals grow in quite wet conditions , in seasonal wetlands , so too much water is not an issue .

Does the soil at the depth that you are measuring feel moist to your fingers ?    Probably ok if it does feel moist .

You can test the actual moisture content , if you have , say , a kitchen gram scale .

Take a sample ( about 200g ) , record the weight , then gently dry it at about 120 deg  , until it  reaches a constant weight .  (Higher temps. may burn off some organics which you don't want to do )

The loss in weight  , divided by the original weight will give the % of moisture directly .

• Like 1

Thanks I thought it odd to just read constant water - I think my soil is reasonably well draining unless it sits and collects deep under