IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Can someone help me with this new palm?

Jemmommy

I had a landscaper pot this for me about a month ago. It is already starting to show brown spots on the leaves. I don't even know what kind of palm it is, much less what kind of care I am supposed to be giving it. He said to water it for just a minute once a week. Is that enough? We have gotten rain but it doesn't get much. It also only gets direct morning sun, where it sits. This pic was taken around 11:30 am for reference. 

That's a Majesty Palm. Does that pot have drainage holes in it? If not, it's gonna die pretty quick. These need lots and lots of water with lots and lots of drainage.  A minute a week is def not enough water. Also more than likely it was greenhouse grown so it's gonna get some sunburn. But yeahhhh it's dry. 

Water and mulch the top...then more water.    Don't let soil dry out.  Have good drainage.  

5 hours ago, Jemmommy said:

I had a landscaper pot this for me about a month ago. It is already starting to show brown spots on the leaves. I don't even know what kind of palm it is, much less what kind of care I am supposed to be giving it. He said to water it for just a minute once a week. Is that enough? We have gotten rain but it doesn't get much. It also only gets direct morning sun, where it sits. This pic was taken around 11:30 am for reference. 

Honestly, you cannot overwater it in Texas in summer in a well draining pot. Also, since its in a pot and you have to water it so often it is going to run out of nutrients. I would water it every other day and use water soluble fertilizer once a week. This fertilizer should work, it has micronutrients good for palms: https://www.amazon.com/Peters-52524-Classic-20-10-20-Fertilizer/dp/B00FSI2J30/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=citrus%2Bfertilizer&qid=1651701153&sr=8-9&th=1

Edited by Collectorpalms

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

WATER, WATER, and more WATER! IGNORE the typical, generic advice for palms of, "Let try between waterings." 

OK, you just watered it? WATER it AGAIN!  Not typical palms.

Agree with above….

I got these as little guys from the BB store 2years ago.  I keep the saucers full of 2 inches of standing water all the time.  As long as it’s hot and they get some sun, they like it wet.  

Less sun and heat, less water though.  

I drag them all over the yard for various reasons, but are now too big to manage in pots.  

June 2002.  
FEE984E1-5CA7-4564-9234-7206701AF064.thumb.jpeg.7f1a0a71d098a13b417ef44ca05007da.jpeg

Today.  

E11A519B-2426-4EE6-80D5-B47BDE3A1713.thumb.jpeg.634586dd0ff6a4b795af509862ef3c39.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Looking Glass said:

Agree with above….

I got these as little guys from the BB store 2years ago.  I keep the saucers full of 2 inches of standing water all the time.  As long as it’s hot and they get some sun, they like it wet.  

I drag them all over the yard for various reasons, but are now too big to manage in pots.  

June 2002.  
FEE984E1-5CA7-4564-9234-7206701AF064.thumb.jpeg.7f1a0a71d098a13b417ef44ca05007da.jpeg

Today.  

E11A519B-2426-4EE6-80D5-B47BDE3A1713.thumb.jpeg.634586dd0ff6a4b795af509862ef3c39.jpeg

you're joking! I didn't think majesties were that fast.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Looking Glass said:

Agree with above….

June 2002.  

Today.  

Can you clarify? Is that supposed to say 2002 or 2020? If it's supposed to say 2020 I need to shame my Majesty (Groot Jr) - I just repotted him from a very rootbound 2g (it was literally lifting itself out of the pot after a year in SE TX) to a 5g and it's still crooked due to the new pot not being deep enough - so I'm trying to train it by facing it away from the sun to see if he'll grow a cool curve. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Can you clarify? Is that supposed to say 2002 or 2020? If it's supposed to say 2020 I need to shame my Majesty (Groot Jr) - I just repotted him from a very rootbound 2g (it was literally lifting itself out of the pot after a year in SE TX) to a 5g and it's still crooked due to the new pot not being deep enough - so I'm trying to train it by facing it away from the sun to see if he'll grow a cool curve. 

I think it's 2020 by the quality of the first photograph, I don't think they had that good cameras in 2002 LOL

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, spike said:

I think it's 2020 by the quality of the first photograph, I don't think they had that good cameras in 2002 LOL

I figured but I have to ask :floor:

I'm gonna shame Groot Jr and I totally expect Groot Jr to remind me about Texas Palmageddon and 4 months of inside/outside cycles plus me being concerned with overwatering  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, spike said:

Lol!  Sorry…. Typo.  Fat fingers vs iPad screen.  I meant 2020.   2 years ago when we got the house.  Man those guys are fast.  They are in full roasting sun most of the year, depending on where I have them.  I used to dump water out of the saucers, til the first rainy season came and it was just too much.  They exploded.

After that, I started intentionally keeping the saucers full year round.   They love it.  But they also get a lot of heat and sun.   Too much sun.  Hence the yellowing.   

I did pull them out and repot back in mostly manure and wood mulch after year one.  And a fertilize way too much. They enjoyed that also.  But they live a pretty harsh outdoor life of full exposure and tropical rains washing though those pots.   

Edited by Looking Glass

I have never seen such full lush majestys before like that, I always see them indoors with 5 fronds max and very spindly leaves, Super awesome! Hope mine gets like that!