Sign in to follow this  
newtopalmsMD

what's happening to this trachy???

newtopalmsMD

93108201_bluishfrond.jpg.aa284fb92b83e27cd41eb52b878d9c29.jpgI live in Olney MD, zone 7a, and it was a pretty mild winter.  Tonight I went to start removing mulch and cut dead fronds and found the frond in the first picture coming out of one of my trachy's  It pulled fairly easily but the end is not dark like is usually get when a spear pulls.  Also the stem of the frond had the consistency of slightly undercooked pasta.  The next full frond is bluer than I'd like.  Also fronds are wilting and turning brown about half way up the fronds.  See fronds in second picture.  Other green fronds are wilty and sagging.   Is this a fungus problem? or could it be something else.  I did spray in the crown twice with copper fungicide and used a couple of inches of wood mulch for mulch instead of oak leaves.  I do have some hydrogen peroxide i could pour in the crown.  Any ideas are appreciated.

Dead Speaar.jpg

Allen

Most likely fungus.  Only other possibility is a lot of fertilizer.  Did you mean you treated before now with copper or just now?  You didn't have any bad low temps (17) but small palms can still spear pull.  Will likely pull thru.  The middle part of the spear with the crunched up line looks like where the fungus got to.  Do you have a green spear showing?  

Edited by Allen

newtopalmsMD

I sprayed with copper once in Feb and once in March.  Did not do anything today.  There is about 2 or 3 inches of a new spear visible but it does not look good.  more green than the one that pulled but not as nice as spears on my other trachy's.   I have H2O2 I could pour down the opening or spray more copper fungicide.  Taking all advice  Thanks

Allen
11 hours ago, newtopalmsMD said:

I sprayed with copper once in Feb and once in March.  Did not do anything today.  There is about 2 or 3 inches of a new spear visible but it does not look good.  more green than the one that pulled but not as nice as spears on my other trachy's.   I have H2O2 I could pour down the opening or spray more copper fungicide.  Taking all advice  Thanks

Your preventative spraying probably stopped the fungus already if you see a spear pushing.  That's why you didn't have a worse mushy pull.  Watch the new spear and make sure it is pushing up over a week and gently pull on it to make sure it does not pull. If it doesn't pull you will have a ugly frond but the next one will be ok.   No more spraying is needed if pushing a spear even if it is ugly.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• PsyPalm
      By PsyPalm
      Hey all
      Looking for some advice on whether or not I can save this howea forsteriana.  It's most recent spear was emerging as usual over the the winter/spring then about a 6 weeks ago it very quickly dried out and died.  (The other kentia it's sharing a pot with is still growing normally so I'm not sure what happened :/ ) Last week I gave the desiccated spear a tug and it popped right out.  I know this is pretty much a death sentence but strangely the single remaining frond is still very healthy looking and feeling.  The petiole on the remaining frond is firm, dark green, and none of the pinnae are showing any signs of decline usually associated with a dying frond.  
      I'm curious if anyone has had a kentia that's had a spear pull and lived, and is there anything specific I can do to help it survive?  Thanks in advance!
      First photo is of the hole I pulled the spear / base of remaining petiole,  second is the top of the last remaining frond.

• newtopalmsMD
      By newtopalmsMD
      The first picture shows the newest spear on one of two pups on my needle palm suddenly is no longer green.  I pulled on it and it slip up about an inch or two.  The second picture shows the some of the leaves of the main plant and the other pup are still green.  What should I do.  I planted this in April (main plant and two pups all in the same 15 ish gallon pot) and all three plants produced new spears during the summer.  Two weeks ago I I put down a little fertilizer that I had used twice before in the growing season (mid autumn fertilizer for needles in this zone is supposed to be helpful) added a couple of inches of black hardwood mulch around the plant being careful not to cover the crown.  (Though I can't keep the leaves off it. )  There is a tip of a new spear and is also this pale blue color.  I live near Olney, MD z7a.,  We have had two light frosts (not enough to kill my musha basjoo nor any of my alocasia or colcasia.  So now what should I do?   Do I pull this spear all the way out and also pull the tip of the newest spear?  I have a liquid copper fungicide with copper Octanoate .08%.  Do I spray the crown with that? Or is there a better fungicide to use?   Advice is greatly appreciated!  Thanks  

• kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      I commented on a few other threads that my archontophoenix alexandrae looked fine after our 28F advective freeze in January.  Some leaf tip burn, but overall healthy.  About a month later, I noticed the spear starting to get brown streaks and gave it a tug.  There was some movement, so I gave it a sharper tug and it came out with the entire bottom being brown and mushy.  I peroxided the hole, and it bubbled profusely.  The next day, I sprayed the hole full of copper fungicide.  One side of the crownshaft had a brown streak on it, probably from cold/wind damage.  At this point, that brown streak is splitting from a bulge in the crownshaft. 
      Surgery necessary on this one to clear a jam?
      Anyone have any input? 

• Advective
      By Advective
      B. Odorata in the ground for two years. About 5.5ft tall.
      The plant saw lows this winter of 12ºF and 14-15ºF twice. A few days ago I noticed some of the newest growth had died but it didn't alarm me at the time because the same had happened to the S. Mexicana.
      When I took a closer look today, I noticed the new growth was dead all the way down to the base, in stark contrast to the Sabal. I gave a tug and the two newest fronds came out:

Leaving this bottomless pit:

Is there anything I can attempt like Hydrogen Peroxide or the partial beheading surgery? Does this look like damage induced by cold temperatures or cold rain? It saw no ice or snow this winter as I wrapped it for those events but it did see cold rain.
      This comes as a total shock as the plant otherwise took minimal damage

• Matt in OC
      By Matt in OC
      I posted last week about a crispy frond on the smaller of my double dypsis decepiens. It looked to me like the new spear was growing fine so I wasn't too worried. 
      Today I gave that new spear a gentle tug and out it popped. Same with the crispy frond. The bigger half appears fine. I think this was brought on by lack of water during our hot and dry period a few weeks ago but now I'm not sure. This guy has been growing like a champ until just recently  
      I doused it with a good deal of fungicide and gave the big one a good shot as well. Thoughts? Advice? Should I leave it or cut the sucker off?