IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Fillibustas in 7b Pennsylvania

Little Tex

Micro-climate on the river, I used to see them every day, and they piqued my interest in palms, 

they are protected, 

image.thumb.png.de5368b2ab80586b221834f6f4d60c7b.png

image.png.563a5551abe538798d9394a29b242ab0.png

image.png

• Like 8

Lucas

Oh, I forgot the location! Lemoyne PA across the river from the Harrisburg, the capital

Lucas

There was a guy in Tulsa Oklahoma who grew some impressive Washingtonia Robustas outside of a nursery (ZONE 7A). In winter cut off fronds, wrapped in home insulation and then plastic wrap. They lasted for probably a dozen years up until the 2021 Event took them out, before that they had only ever last one of them which was unhealthy to begin with

Definitely doable in Zone 7 with the right protection. As long as they get enough summer heat otherwise they will decline 

Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 12.20.08 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 12.20.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 12.21.37 PM.png

14 minutes ago, chinandega81 said:

What kind of protection do they get?

They dig them up and put them inside, Hence the slow growth, there is another location with tracyies and palmettos, and they dont dig them up, i'm not exactly sure what they do other than lights.

• Like 1

Lucas

16 minutes ago, Jtee said:

The owner must be a palm nut

It's a corporate chain 

Lucas

I recently planted some very small filibustas in my yard, here in Raleigh NC Zone 7b. I have more in my greenhouse that are getting larger. I'll probably plant those next year or the year after. I know I'll have to protect them at some point but I certainly hope they don't require this level of protection. Also, I collected the seeds for these filibustas from a tree growing in Fayetteville NC, a little over an hour from me. 

• Like 1