IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Archie purpurea

JubaeaMan138

Planted on the north west side of the property . Gets about a hour of sun in the afternoon 

Parajubaea next to it don’t look to shabby either but I feel like it hasn’t grown at all thanks @DoomsDave one of the many I have around the property from you 

Nice Archontophoenix. It should be showing the characteristic purplish crown shaft by now though and yours is green. Even at a much younger age, the purple begins showing. Is it possible you were sold a different Archie species? 

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

30 minutes ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Nice Archontophoenix. It should be showing the characteristic purplish crown shaft by now though and yours is green. Even at a much younger age, the purple begins showing. Is it possible you were sold a different Archie species? 

I was gonna say….not much Purpurea in that Purpurea. Hope it starts changing colors!

-dale

It’s all possible . I thought the same thing . Which species would we think it would be ?

Agree with others above. Not really showing any of the typical A purpurea growth habits even apart from the lack of purpurea. Overall I’d say it looks typical of A alexandrae at that size which would be most likely purely in terms of how common it is. But I doubt anyone could be confident to rule out maxima, myolensis or tuckeri which all look similar at that size and can all vary in appearance depending on exposure etc. 

• Upvote 2

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Agreed, doubt Purpurea. Growing too fast. Easy way to confirm, look under leaflet. If it has Ramenta, then just not a colorful Purpurea. No Ramenta, has to be one of the others with silvery undersides. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Seems like kings get confused and mislabeled all the time. I have a friend that thought he had a purpurea, little bit bigger than yours with about 2 feet of trunk. He even still had the tag that said “purpurea” on it. Looked just like yours. I’m no expert to say for sure it wasn’t, but to me it looked like a maxima. My guess for yours would be maxima. Could be a different variety but Purpurea is the most unique/easiest to tell apart of the king palms and it doesn’t look like one. Either way, my friends was the prettiest plant in his yard and yours looks awesome too :greenthumb:

• Upvote 1

Very true. Much like Dypsis Archontophoenix is a mess just on a smaller scale. All subspecies are mislabeled all the time. 
I have been sold 2 A.Maxima that I believe are just Alexandrae. I have multiple Alexandrae I have bought from HD labelled as Cunninghamiana.

With HD or Moon Valley it’s no surprise when they mislabel as they just care about sales.

Its disappointing when private growers mislabel as the seed size and shape of various Archie’s are different from one another and any serious grower should be able to identify from the seed they use.

16 hours ago, LJG said:

Agreed, doubt Purpurea. Growing too fast. Easy way to confirm, look under leaflet. If it has Ramenta, then just not a colorful Purpurea. No Ramenta, has to be one of the others with silvery undersides. 

Hey Len 

what do you mean by Ramenta? What am I looking

for ?

They are small brown hairs that run along the underside of the individual leaflets. If you have Cunninghamiana in your yard it will have them. Yours appear to not have rementa so it’s one of the palms in the Alexandrae complex or it could be a hybrid. 

7 minutes ago, James B said:

They are small brown hairs that run along the underside of the individual leaflets. If you have Cunninghamiana in your yard it will have them. Yours appear to not have rementa so it’s one of the palms in the Alexandrae complex or it could be a hybrid. 

Interesting . The king palms that are normally grown in my area usually look horrible . Which is why I’ve stuck to only growing a couple . My maxima and this one have really changed my appreciation for kings . Looks like I need to add a couple More different species of Archie’s 

35 minutes ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

image.jpg

Yep, not a Purpurea. No ramenta. Just a guess at this point between Alex, Tuck, Max and Mao. 

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Here’s my better looking purpurea. They tend to get beat up by the end of winter. 

F5755185-8AA9-4CBC-8D68-CBE86050CFF2.jpeg

32CADD18-F633-4B8E-90CC-732CD4E6A3D3.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Matt in OC said:

Here’s my better looking purpurea. They tend to get beat up by the end of winter. 

F5755185-8AA9-4CBC-8D68-CBE86050CFF2.jpeg

32CADD18-F633-4B8E-90CC-732CD4E6A3D3.jpeg

I remember you showing me this when I was there!! Definetly see the difference and the ramenta under the leaflets 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Alan_Tampa said:

I'm thinking albang 

It actually does look very similar to my hybrid of a similar size. From what I’ve seen A a x c and the reverse hybrid typically look more like alexandrae but with that slight yellowish colour to the crownshaft with brown specks similar to cunninghamiana. Based on the above, it’s either that or one of the alex/tuck/max/myo as stated above. 

Here’s my A cunninghamiana x alexandrae for reference. 
image.thumb.jpeg.fb3b85b29e142abb1967e91006324a64.jpeg

2EAC2720-743B-45A7-B8A5-246637BAC038.jpeg

• Like 1

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.