IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What if you don’t hurricane cut a sabal when transplanting?

jdl

I have wondered the same thing. I also wonder if all the cut roots really die all the way back to the trunk and the tree has to grow new ones. They used to haul Sabal palmetto to the N.C. coast with a tiny basketball sized unwrapped root ball on the back of a black painted steel tractor trailer rig and they would set on the truck sometimes for a week or more in blazing hot temps and sun. Some still lived. That is also the time frame when they were saying to cut all leaves off.  They are now digging larger root balls, wrapping the roots and leaving a few leaves, then planting in a holding area and irrigating them immediately, when they arrive. Seems to me the ones with 3 or 4 leaves survive much better. I would trim the tree down to 4 to 6 leaves and irrigate the trunk, roots and leaves (and spear) like crazy till I see growth. I think too many leaves would put too much strain on the tree because of lack of roots.

I’d say depending on the root left and irrigation in new place, they would hurricane cut themselves. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ChristianStAug said:

I’d say depending on the root left and irrigation in new place, they would hurricane cut themselves. 

You're probably right. I would imagine that any palm would drop a bunch of fronds when the amount of roots that have is suddenly cut in half.

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 2 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 2 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 1 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

If you move a Sabal palmetto without removing all the fronds, you lessen its chances for survival greatly.  Many or most might live but so many die that landscapers found it unprofitable and have changed their practices.  In large jobs, S. palmettos are sometimes called for having a canopy immediately or are specified as "regenerated".  Many Sabal suppliers have regenerated palms which simply means they hold them under good conditions until they regenerate a root system and canopy.  They cost more money but there are few replacements. 

• Like 3

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Agreed with the above. Think of the fronds being leaky water lines. As transpiration happens the palm looses its ability to store water and eventually can succumb, dehydrate, and perish. 

Cutting the majority ,if not all of the fronds redirects the palms energy to restoring its root system, and will produce fronds in balance that supports its regenerative growth. 

Over time its become a "best practice."

• Like 1