IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia x Lytocaryum weddellianum VS. Butia yatay x Syagrus romanzoffiana

Pee Dee Palms

So yesterday I emailed Patrick Shafer to see what hybrids he has in stock. He responded with a list of a bunch of different palms. The 2 I am highly debating on are Butia x Lytocaryum weddellianum and Butia yatay x Syagrus romanzoffiana. Since there aren't that many pictures of them on the internet, I came here to see if anyone has any pictures of them. From the few pictures I have seen, it appears that the Butia yatay x Syagrus romanzoffiana has a much more slim trunk than that of a normal Mule Palm. The Butia x Lytocaryum weddellianum seems to have a relatively slim trunk too. I am pretty confident that the Butia yatay x Syagrus romanzoffiana will be able to live in my 8b climate, but I am not so sure about the Butia x Lytocaryum weddellianum. Since the Butia is a 7b/8a palm, and the Lytocaryum is a 9b/10a palm, I would assume that the hardiness for one of these would be somewhere in the 8b/9a range. So if anyone has any experience with these palms, please let me know.

I bought a liner Butia x Lyto last summer. Just potted it up to a 5gal. There's some pics/vids in my Patio Squad thread under Palms in Pots. I don't have pics of any mature plants but it'll give you an idea of what you'll get after almost a year. It's in full sun. 

• Like 2

Seems to be a bit more slender, and anything with yatay has very vibrant green boots and petioles. mine probably about the same size as you’d receive, yatay x Q is on the left both pics (1st pic after 5g transplant) next to B/J x Q and both Patrick’s. I picked also over BxLyto I thought would do better in 8b zone. But I’ve heard another attest that the BxLyto does not spot and yellow easily like the yatay mule. Which o see a bit of with the crappy cold wet spring we got this year. Tempted to still try BxLyto. 

8097E1B9-E3BE-409C-99B6-CD3A6C2B1E08.jpeg

F161449F-5825-4ABE-860D-94400F3CB3A5.jpeg

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Seems to be a bit more slender, and anything with yatay has very vibrant green boots and petioles. mine probably about the same size as you’d receive, yatay x Q is on the left both pics (1st pic after 5g transplant) next to B/J x Q and both Patrick’s. I picked also over BxLyto I thought would do better in 8b zone. But I’ve heard another attest that the BxLyto does not spot and yellow easily like the yatay mule. Which o see a bit of with the crappy cold wet spring we got this year. Tempted to still try BxLyto. 

8097E1B9-E3BE-409C-99B6-CD3A6C2B1E08.jpeg

F161449F-5825-4ABE-860D-94400F3CB3A5.jpeg

Thanks for the pics! I am starting to lean more towards the yatay, because of it's slim trunk. I just don't know if it is slim enough for the area I want to put it.

I don't remember who, but someone in Dallas had/has a big Butia x Lyto. I don't remember if it survived Palmageddon or not. 

52 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I don't remember who, but someone in Dallas had/has a big Butia x Lyto. I don't remember if it survived Palmageddon or not. 

Was it @Matt N- Dallas ??

55 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

You're close.  It's @Matt N- Dallas but I believe his Lyto mule is in San Marcos zone 8b.  You got it @DAVEinMB!

Edited by Fusca
  • Like 1

Jon Sunder

37 minutes ago, Fusca said:

You're close.  It's @Matt N- Dallas but I believe his Lyto mule is in San Marcos zone 8b.  You got it @DAVEinMB!

The pics of Matt's are the reason I bought mine. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@NWpalms@206 this is my BxLytoWedd after being installled yesterday 

T J 

20220428_173336.jpg

Gonna show this pic to mine so it'll feel insecure and grow faster once these thunderstorms pass.

In the meantime the lightning show is amazing even though Sancho is totally not having a good time. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Gonna show this pic to mine so it'll feel insecure and grow faster

So I cheated and bought the 8x12 size haha. I had already killed a seedling before this one =/ 

T J 

T J 

Just now, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

So I cheated and bought the 8x12 size haha. I had already killed a seedling before this one =/ 

T J 

I only kill Kentias around here :shaka-2:

12 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

I only kill Kentias around here :shaka-2:

I have killed my fair share haha 2 or 3 leaf seedlings are my nemesis 

T J 

T J 

Weddellianas are known to not tolerate direct sunlight. Do weddelliana mules tolerate it?

Edited by Zeni

8 minutes ago, Zeni said:

Weddellianas are known to not tolerate direct sunlight. Do weddelliana mules tolerate it?

Mine will get morning sun where I planted it. While it was in a pot it handled plenty of sun so I think the butia blood has made it a full sun palm imo

T J 

• Like 2

T J 

19 minutes ago, Zeni said:

My weddellanium are under an LED grow light and my hybrid is in full blasting Texas sun.  

Photos of the hybrid under "Patio Squad" in the Palms In Pots sub-forum. L. Weddellanium under Indoor Squad.  Videos too. Plus random shots of my dog. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

I have killed my fair share haha 2 or 3 leaf seedlings are my nemesis 

T J 

I only kill expensive plants because I'm extra. The cheap stuff lives forever. The only exception to this was 2 community pots of C. Elegans. I couldn't get rid of fungus gnats to save my life. One pot flew away in a thunderstorm and I let one freeze to death. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My Butia x Lyto is about 12 feet tall at the tip. It's been better than any other mule so far. More pinnae, longer fronds, less winter damage. It's been the best mule. My Butia x Para. sunkha is showing similar desirability.  All the queen mules struggle with winter nutrient deficiencies. 

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

2 hours ago, buffy said:

My Butia x Lyto is about 12 feet tall at the tip. It's been better than any other mule so far. More pinnae, longer fronds, less winter damage. It's been the best mule. My Butia x Para. sunkha is showing similar desirability.  All the queen mules struggle with winter nutrient deficiencies. 

My 4-5ft butia x Sunkha is looking good when other mule mixes are brown and spotting, yatay x queen and B/Jx Q are looking a little rough right now this spring sux. Should grow out of it I hope. The Bx Sunkha also not yellowing at the spear like a lot of my butia hybrids do. I’m got high hopes for it and it’s baby brother. 

3 hours ago, buffy said:

My Butia x Lyto is about 12 feet tall at the tip. It's been better than any other mule so far

I have had nothing but trouble with your normal mules. Prolly wont plant another at the new house unless it's just a smoking deal. I am much more impressed with my BxLytoWedd ill definitely update after it's first winter in the ground 

T J 

• Like 1

T J