IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaedorea Microspadix

DAVEinMB

2 hours ago, Manalto said:

I was cleaning up a hyacinth bean vine that had been hit by the Christmas freeze and encountered these C. microspadix seedlings.

20230102_091904.thumb.jpg.3d11ffd736153059e9b2784bbf7f4ab4.jpg

I had forgotten that I pushed half a dozen seeds into the soil back when planting the six-packs. While a bit smaller than their pampered siblings, I think it's worth noting that these were totally ignored all summer, through a couple of prolonged dry spells, and then, most recently, three nights in the 20s. I'm sure the umbrella of hyacinth bean helped somewhat, but this suggests to me that volunteers under mature, fruiting microspadices are a real possibility in this climate.

(Scattered among the palms are some Podocarpus macrophyllus seedlings from a nearby hedge. Given the number of seedlings I've seen, I'm surprised that this plant isn't on any state's invasive species list.)

Will you be selling any of these Chamaedorea? They're impossible to find to purchase. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Seedlings, which germinated in July, now are producing a third leaf.20230125_073235.thumb.jpg.2bd901822e4404b64163994a220eee61.jpg

Although the seedlings that are in the ground came through the Xmas freeze undamaged, I bring these indoors (unheated shed) when temperatures drop below 40. It seems to encourage them to keep growing. The in-ground seedlings still have only one leaf.

20230102_091904.thumb.jpg.a8ea617ea1a10c198480d9657ff37ad8.jpg

Edited by Manalto
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Manalto said:

Update: Seedlings, which germinated in July, now are producing a third leaf.20230125_073235.thumb.jpg.2bd901822e4404b64163994a220eee61.jpg

Although the seedlings that are in the ground came through the Xmas freeze undamaged, I bring these indoors (unheated shed) when temperatures drop below 40. It seems to encourage them to keep growing. The in-ground seedlings still have only one leaf.

20230102_091904.thumb.jpg.a8ea617ea1a10c198480d9657ff37ad8.jpg

What was your low temp during the Christmas Freeze? 

On 1/3/2023 at 8:53 AM, knikfar said:

Will you be selling any of these Chamaedorea? They're impossible to find to purchase. 

Sorry for not responding; I didn't see your post until just now. PM me and we'll make sure you have your Chamaedorea.

6 hours ago, knikfar said:

What was your low temp during the Christmas Freeze? 

I thought it was 21F but others here claim it was 18F. Not having much luck trying to look it up. 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 9/18/2022 at 1:58 PM, Jesse PNW said:

In fact, I just finished potting up 32 Ch radicalis from Dooms Dave. 10 or 12 oz cups I think. 

Maybe the best germination rate I've had from any batch of seeds. 

Still seeking radicalis microspadix hybrid. 

20220918_115555.jpg

Just a public service announcement, I am in no way associated with this seller. Just knew several of you guys were interested in these.

Screenshot_20231116-221239.png

• Like 1

I have no idea if it's the real deal, but it's the 1st time I've seen these offered.  Pretty cool

Edited by N8ALLRIGHT
Misspelled

On 1/25/2023 at 12:36 PM, DAVEinMB said:

If anyone wants seeds from mine this coming season let me know. Plants all saw 13F this winter

Please put me on your waiting list for seeds.

Thanks,

Dan

• Like 1

9 hours ago, N8ALLRIGHT said:

Just a public service announcement, I am in no way associated with this seller. Just knew several of you guys were interested in these.

Someone else posted those and I passed.  But it's Christmas gift shopping time, so I bit the bullet.  Will update when they come in, although I have low expectations as from what we have read this is a pretty difficult hybrid to make and I only know of one person who has made this hybrid. I can't remember who at the moment. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, N8ALLRIGHT said:

I remember reading a post on here regarding this radicalis x microspadix hybrid (or possibly microspadix x radicalis) and it turned out to be a disappointment - nothing special about the appearance or growth speed.  If someone bought from this seller hopefully they'll have a better experience and update us on this hybrid.

Edit: I just read the post from the thread I referred to from 2011 that is referenced earlier in this thread - Merrill Wilcox and Dick Douglas commented negatively but others liked the cross.

Edited by Fusca

Jon Sunder

I would like either a microspadix appearance with a little more leaf hardiness, or a radicalis appearance that suckers.  I somehow doubt either desirable trait would pass on, as that's how life seems to work.  

Many things in life are disappointing, so I will be disappointed if this turns out not to be the disappointment I'm expecting.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Jesse PNW said:

I would like either a microspadix appearance with a little more leaf hardiness, or a radicalis appearance that suckers.  I somehow doubt either desirable trait would pass on, as that's how life seems to work.  

Many things in life are disappointing, so I will be disappointed if this turns out not to be the disappointment I'm expecting.  

I like your sense of optimism, it is calibrated with a touch of realistic expectations.

18 hours ago, Jesse PNW said:

Adding sun tolerance to C. microspadix would be nice. And I agree that a suckering C.radicalis would be preferred.

I plan to experiment with these 2 species when mine reach reproductive age.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

If anyones Microspadix is seedings I'm interested! Saw these things on tik tok survives all the way up in new york and covered with snow so I bet they would do fine here

Picture from tik tok

IMG_5955.thumb.jpg.6021870f93e8901e7a2dbd3b09bba871.jpg

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ZPalms said:

If anyones Microspadix is seedings I'm interested! Saw these things on tik tok survives all the way up in new york and covered with snow so I bet they would do fine here

Picture from tik tok

These are in the ground in NY?

• Like 1

They're not as tough as you may think.  Yes they can handle cold, but when I had mine they looked like garbage in spring, every year.  Quite root hardy, but 19F killed all the foliage and many of the stems.  Zone 8B and up I would say.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Chester B said:

They're not as tough as you may think.  Yes they can handle cold, but when I had mine they looked like garbage in spring, every year.  Quite root hardy, but 19F killed all the foliage and many of the stems.  Zone 8B and up I would say.

I thought radicalis was upper teens and microspadix lower 20s. Not sure if canopy matters.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Picture from tik tok

Ah yes “Tic-Tok” such a bastion of “Truth”, “Knowledge” and “Experts”… 🤣

Now do a “Tic-Tok” from after the snow melts… *womp womp* 

• Like 3

Canopy does matter, it helps to prevent the fronds from browning off.  Any frost on mine would spot or brown the fronds.  Radicalis is definitely more hardy.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

These are in the ground in NY?

I tried looking through the videos to see if I could find any other angels but I’d assume probably because freezing roots probably wouldn’t help but I did comment on the video a while back and they said “5 years from seedling size. It has survived hard freezes without damage!”

27 minutes ago, ZPalms said:

I tried looking through the videos to see if I could find any other angels but I’d assume probably because freezing roots probably wouldn’t help but I did comment on the video a while back and they said “5 years from seedling size. It has survived hard freezes without damage!”

I think they left off the rest of the sentence  “5 years from seedling size. It has survived hard freezes without damage!  Until the temps get too cold and I have to put their heated enclosure up

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chester B said:

I think they left off the rest of the sentence  “5 years from seedling size. It has survived hard freezes without damage!  Until the temps get too cold and I have to put their heated enclosure up

😂 most likely, they have a jungle of all kind of tropicals inside their house and plus the date posted was March so the worst of winter was over

On 1/25/2023 at 12:36 PM, DAVEinMB said:

If anyone wants seeds from mine this coming season let me know. Plants all saw 13F this winter

I'll take a couple.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chester B said:

This has also been my experience. I have killed two Mx's before. They just won't do well with the winters here. In all fairness, every year since '21 has been horrific when it comes to summer or winter, so I also doubt they had a fair shot at establishing.   

I am on my last try with these before I give up. This time, I was able to get a very good deal on a 5 foot tall mature clump which should make a difference. Of course, this winter was another pipe-buster so its now 6 inches tall... BUT, I just checked and its still green! If I can get it through this winter, it may get established and be a keeper. I have a very tough and vigorous Cherry Laurel that I am encouraging along for overhead canopy. 

C. Radicalis doesn't grow much but is there every year with zero care. Super impressive!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChicagoPalma said:

I'll take a couple.

I'll see what I have and dm you

I have had several volunteers of both C. Microspadix and C. Radicalis tree form spring up around the base of parent plants . I sometimes spread them myself in vacant spots under other palms. The Microspadix don’t look happy in anything but shade but the Radicalis can take a lot of sun even when young. Both seem to tolerate winter here .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Maybe good genetics but mine have been through some shit never protected and they're trucking along

20240122_222452.jpg

20240122_222518.jpg

20240122_222533.jpg

20240122_222608.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

For what it’s worth, I bought some of the microspadix x radicalis seedlings on eBay and threw them in the ground. This is what they look like after 17 degrees F unprotected. They seem more hardy than my pure microspadix. Pretty tough for a seedling.

IMG_0064.thumb.jpeg.db53b3b3a718f51f60d0c146225af6f0.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I don't know if the C. microspadix cold hardiness is genetics, environmental, or a combination of the two. I have obtained seed from 3 sources in the gulf states and will be testing the cold hardiness over the next few years. I'm 8A and will be growing these plants in part shade to shade. @DAVEinMB has had good luck with the cold and a grower in Louisiana has had plants experience successive nights in the teens with no damage. My potted plants have experience no damage inside my tent greenhouse when outside temperatures were in the upper teens.

• Like 2