IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trying Bismarckia one more time, but first, a question.

bar

Hi all,

As Bismarckia is supposed to do well in Sacramento, I decided to give it another shot.  My first one rotted out during a wet, cool winter in its first year.  I just think it wasn't established and planted too late in the season.  The site that I've picked out gets full sun from March to September, partial sun in October and February, but is mostly shaded in the late November to early March.  As it grows, it will have full sun year round, because the trees causing shade are far enough away so that they won't shade anything shorter than ten feet. 

For comparison, my nearby Dypsis decipiens tolerates these conditions very well, and is thriving with just a hint of a trunk forming, after about four years.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Bismarckia's ability to tolerate winter shade when young?

Thanks, as always.

Bruce

In a marginal climate, without blazing heat, it will need full sun. Mine do not grow very much until 90F + days arrive.

2 hours ago, bar said:

Hi all,

As Bismarckia is supposed to do well in Sacramento, I decided to give it another shot.  My first one rotted out during a wet, cool winter in its first year.  I just think it wasn't established and planted too late in the season.  The site that I've picked out gets full sun from March to September, partial sun in October and February, but is mostly shaded in the late November to early March.  As it grows, it will have full sun year round, because the trees causing shade are far enough away so that they won't shade anything shorter than ten feet. 

For comparison, my nearby Dypsis decipiens tolerates these conditions very well, and is thriving with just a hint of a trunk forming, after about four years.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Bismarckia's ability to tolerate winter shade when young?

Thanks, as always.

Bruce

I think your going to have issues getting too cold and not enough sun. I’d definitely try to find a place with as much sun as possible year round and basically trickle the water in the winter. I’d put a ton of mulch around the base too. What size are we talking here? 

1 hour ago, D Palm said:

In a marginal climate, without blazing heat, it will need full sun. Mine do not grow very much until 90F + days arrive.

Agreed. 

-dale

I'm getting a plant in a five gallon pot. I'll move it further away from the shaded area.  Phot of the plant attached.

Thanks.

Bismarckia.jpg

• Like 2

Certain palms I planted in spots specifically due to sun at certain times of the year.  So based on the sun angle and the neighbor's oaks, I planted an Arenga Hookeriana where it'll get more direct sun in the winter, but mostly shade after about mid-March.  In your case I'd try and find a location with lots of sun in the winter, to help avoid rot.  I'd guess that partial shade in the summer is ok in Sacramento, though I don't know your local temperatures.  Growing into the sun is ok if you can get it through the first couple of years.

Regarding water and rot, I have a Bismarck in my front "tropical bed" that gets completely drenched every single morning 365 days/year.  And that's on top of our 40-60 inches of rain per year.  So I'm not sure that water alone is an issue, but it might be water + cool temps + lack of sun.  In habitat they are apparently found anywhere from dry grasslands to seasonally flooded areas. 

Top picture is of my Dypsis decipians.  It's trunk is now about 2 in wide but very hard to see in the photo. The very bottom picture is another Dypsis that I have which is much more advanced leaf-wise but no trunk visible at all. And I think it's actually splitting into two plants. Second and third shots are of the area that I have. The Sun hits The Grass usually at around 11:00 a.m. and then it's sunny all day. The area behind it in the close-up is a little bit more of where I have my other palms planted.

I don't want to plant it too close to the other palms cuz it gets humongous and if I put it in the grass it'll probably block the view of everything. So I want to put it behind the table. The trees behind everything are deciduous.

That's the space that I have to deal with.  Sacramento summer temperatures are usually in the mid to upper 90's, with several 100 + days as well.  Sun is STRONG. 

IMG_20220429_102219064_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220429_103327686_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220429_102300419_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220429_102246769_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

So I've been trying to figure out what will work best, aesthetically and horticulturally.  Aesthetically, the best spot is about ten feet from my Acoelorrhaphe wrightii, and one Dypsis decipiens as an equilateral triangle with a ten foot side.  But this will definitely give the plant winter shade except for noon or so.

The best spot horticulturally is at the edge of the small patio, to the right of the table, by removing some grass and making a small bed.  But I am concerned this might look a bit weird.

The third choice is to place it on the back side of the small patio, which, while giving it reasonably acceptable winter sun, places it four feet from both the Acoelorraphe and the Dyspis.

The fourth choice is to say, "Why did I have to buy another palm tree?!"

I'd love any additional input anyone can give.  Thanks so much!

A Bizzy will take over and become the anchor or vocal point of your yard. It will demand full sun in your climate. Central and S. Florida can do a part sun grow because the heat remains in the winter. 

Pick the most optimal spot for growth/expansion.