IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

What to plant here?

Pee Dee Palms

Well, here it is in the ground. Hopefully me getting some wet dirt on the trunk won't cause rot. 

20220502_183851.jpg

20220502_183839.jpg

20220502_183820.jpg

20220502_183804.jpg

• Upvote 1

@General Sylvester D. Palm it'll be fine. It's gonna grow a ton, too. 

I repotted mine yesterday from a 3g to a 7. It was a 1g strap leaf when I bought it late 2020. 

20220501_163526_HDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

@General Sylvester D. Palm it'll be fine. It's gonna grow a ton, too. 

I repotted mine yesterday from a 3g to a 7. It was a 1g strap leaf when I bought it late 2020. 

20220501_163526_HDR.jpg

Good to know! :greenthumb:

1 minute ago, General Sylvester D. Palm said:

Good to know! :greenthumb:

Mine also survived Texas Palmageddon. 

I mean, it was inside my apartment but it did technically survive :floor:

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

Welp, unfortunately the Queen here did not work out... back to the drawing board. When I planted it I totally forgot that this area won't get literally any sun until about noon or 1. The frost just sits there and the place stays cool all morning. The minimum lows are actually even colder than on the north side of my house. Definitely going to be reconsidering what I plant here. So, any suggestions? (Preferably a small kind of palm but if you have another tropical plant in mind, feel free to suggest it)

20230324_135750.thumb.jpg.3270fbabd25b5df511f44b56a444f10a.jpg20230324_135743.thumb.jpg.e2015b5d927ededcef9a39cd086f2610.jpg20230324_135736.thumb.jpg.74fc6a452a1c43690c93a54aad0c2cc1.jpg

4 minutes ago, General Sylvester D. Palm said:

Welp, unfortunately the Queen here did not work out... back to the drawing board. When I planted it I totally forgot that this area won't get literally any sun until about noon or 1. The frost just sits there and the place stays cool all morning. The minimum lows are actually even colder than on the north side of my house. Definitely going to be reconsidering what I plant here. So, any suggestions? (Preferably a small kind of palm but if you have another tropical plant in mind, feel free to suggest it)

20230324_135736.thumb.jpg.74fc6a452a1c43690c93a54aad0c2cc1.jpg

That's such a small area only Sabal minor will fit unless you buy a taller Trachy or something to go higher immediately to avoid the sidewalk.  

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

7 minutes ago, Allen said:

That's such a small area only Sabal minor will fit unless you buy a taller Trachy or something to go higher immediately to avoid the sidewalk.  

I was thinking about Chamaedorea radicalis but I don't know if it'd be quite hardy enough.

7 minutes ago, General Sylvester D. Palm said:

I was thinking about Chamaedorea radicalis but I don't know if it'd be quite hardy enough.

Probably not.  I looked at my palm list and there is not really anything small enough for that area except S minor unless trunked higher.   Butia, Sabals, Trachy, needle palm are your options but are too big.  Everything else is pushing it. For 8B Chaemerops, Chamaedorea.  You could try Serenoa repens

Edited by Allen

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

1 hour ago, General Sylvester D. Palm said:

You'd be surprised what they will put up with

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, General Sylvester D. Palm said:

20230324_135750.thumb.jpg.3270fbabd25b5df511f44b56a444f10a.jpg20230324_135743.thumb.jpg.e2015b5d927ededcef9a39cd086f2610.jpg20230324_135736.thumb.jpg.74fc6a452a1c43690c93a54aad0c2cc1.jpg

Couple of suggestions

thaumatophyllum bipinnatifidum

- holly fern (Cyrtomium falcatum)

- shell ginger

- orange bird of paradise

I would try to locate any of these as far from the sidewalk as you can. Right up against that gutter would be the best. Also, if you're looking for a creeping plant to add color and fill in dead spots check out purple queen (tradescantia pallida)

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

You'd be surprised what they will put up with

I think I might try one of these. Pretty sure rarepalmseeds has some in stock actually.

10 minutes ago, DAVEinMB said:

- orange bird of paradise

Wow, that looks really pretty. Now I'm going to have a tough time decided lol.

31 minutes ago, General Sylvester D. Palm said:

Wow, that looks really pretty. Now I'm going to have a tough time decided lol.

They're tough too, mine are coming back from the roots after 13F

• Upvote 1