IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Why do big box stores only sell three different types of non cold hardy palms

EJPalm05

big box stores only sell majesty palms cat palms and sometimes pheonix robelini why is this?

An Autistic 18 year old who has an obsession with Palms!

Because they are the cheapest,and easiest to produce. Acres upon acres of them are always growing under shade cloth in South Florida...

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Here in Zone 10 Florida it's not much better sadly. Almost exclusively Adonidia, D lutescens, Queens, Robellini, Majesties. Maybe some Coconuts, Foxtails or Bismarckia if you're feeling adventurous. Yeah they are much bigger and cheaper here than up north but these are all of the most common landscape palms in this area. I've never seen a Ptychosperma at a big box here, or an Archontophoenix, or a Veitchia, and forget about anything less common than that. 

I'm not in the business of selling plants but I think the reality is most people just aren't looking for anything different. They want the same trees in their yard that their neighbors have. If they live in an HOA maybe they are forced to into choosing from a narrow list like the one above. Surely there are plenty of other palms that would be just as quick and easy to mass produce but most people don't pay enough attention to palms to need more than 4-5 options. So we have a self-perpetuating cycle where the nurseries only grow the usual suspects.

Edited by aabell
  • Like 1

Most people aren't palm dorks like we are. Paying $100 for a seedling isn't for everyone, but $20 or $30 for something to bring a tropical vibe is doable. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

They only have several selections of palms for the same reason they only offer a few choices of everything else. The big box stores have so much influence and purchasing power that they can actually dictate what plants are used for landscapes across the country.  Same goes with items such as what blinds you have on your windows, the alabaster 2" mini blind is what 90% of homes have installed, because that's what big box sells.  Most people will go no further than HD or Lowes for anything household related.  It sucks but that is the reality of it all. It has killed the mom and pop business model. 

So to take the discussion one step further, why does my local HD and Lowes in Phoenix sell coconut palms when there's no chance they will live here?  That's some crooked marketing but then again it's all about the $$.

Edited by stingray

6 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Most people aren't palm dorks like we are….. 

Hey! I resemble that remark. 

-dale

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stingray said:

…So to take the discussion one step further, why does my local HD and Lowes in Phoenix sell coconut palms when there's no chance they will live here?  That's some crooked marketing but then again it's all about the $$.

Our HD’s out here sell Hyophorbe Lagenicaulis  all the time knowing one good cold spell into the low 30’s will kill them. Immoral as hell if you ask me…

-dale

I think because up north those palms are considered house plants. If they sold tender palms customers would bring them back for a refund after a Northern winter costing them money.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, D Palm said:

I think because up north those palms are considered house plants. If they sold tender palms customers would bring them back for a refund after a Northern winter costing them money.

BINGO !

I understand they are slow but I’d love to see sabals sold at big box stores. I absolutely hate the robellini’s  and majesty’s are pretty but they don’t grow where I live so no use in owning one of those. 

last year my local store had robustas, Mediterranean fan palms and pindos but not this year so far.