IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis Prestoniana variations

Dusty CBAD

I’ve dug through the palmtalk archives and researched all I possibly can about dypsis prestoniana. I’m aware there’s lots of variations when it comes to prestoniana. I saw a video where Jeff Marcus said there is a fine leaf and broad leaf version. And I also know they hybridize fairly easy. 

Anyways, here’s my 2 dypsis prestoniana side by side. The broad leaf one was a 1g from floribunda last April. It seems to be taking the full sun pretty well. The taller fine leaf one I just got from a guy that had a bunch of them, all growing in full sun and looking the same. Both the pots have roots coming out of all holes. 

Where they are now is the spot one of them is going in. Full sun. Basically it’s a competition to see who gets the spot. Currently I’m favoring the broad leaf floribunda one. Looks like it could be the more interesting plant.

They obviously aren’t the exact same plant. So what do I have? Thoughts?

E58415BB-327A-4A6B-A9E0-2EA93A9865CF.jpeg

F87B464A-FBF5-4794-A8F1-191CC2A306A8.jpeg

0B4B613E-DB11-4632-8091-30AEC9FCD2D6.jpeg

• Like 1

There are substantial differences between them. The broad-leaflet one has regularly-arranged leaflets in a single plane. The narrow-leaflet one has the leaflets grouped and in multiple planes (i. e., plumose). I'd be surprised if they were the same species.

• Like 3

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Awesome thanks. I know you’re in Hawaii but do you happen to know which one takes sun the best? Which one is more robust? Do you have a favorite between the 2? 

Dustin

I'm not the expert on your palms, so can't answer your questions for certain. But I can show you a couple of things from old pics. Here's one of my prestonianas 10 years ago:

preston_051312_rsz.thumb.jpg.e64d9b52013fe0c511197a60f93d6987.jpg

Here is something I purchased as prestoniana. But it grew into something very similar to a Dypsis I purchased as robusta, so I now consider it also to be robusta (orange bucket is a 5-gal):

prestoniana_2_MLM_052116.thumb.JPG.4bc641408d667fe54195c773f3a0ad2e.JPG

Mike Merritt

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

I forgot to answer about growing conditions. My prestonianas and robustas are growing very well in full sun (note cloudy, rainy, humid east Hawaii Island, temps never lower than upper 50's). Both species are strong and robust growers, but prestoniana is faster. Note that either will get BIG. I think prestoniana has a more striking appearance, but like both species.

• Like 1

Mike Merritt

On 4/28/2022 at 2:31 PM, Dusty CBAD said:

Full sun. Basically it’s a competition to see who gets the spot. Currently I’m favoring the broad leaf floribunda one. Looks like it could be the more interesting plant.

They obviously aren’t the exact same plant. So what do I have? Thoughts?

E58415BB-327A-4A6B-A9E0-2EA93A9865CF.jpeg

If you got both as Dypsis prestoniana and the one that is not plumose alread came from Jeff Marcus as D prestoniana, then I would expect it is accurate.  At this size its a crap shoot as to which you will like best 5-10 or 15 years from now, as you don't really know how their overall appearance will develop.  I have two decent sized ones, and initially I liked the larger more vigorous one.  Right now, my personal preference goes more to the smaller one that was faster to start flowering but has a smaller girth trunk and is much smaller when measured in ringed trunk height.  The smaller one does have better overall structure at this size though.  Will it continue to have the nicer structure?  Hard to say.  Both get lots of sun in a climate very close to you, but maybe a little more in the spring May Gray / June Gloom zone.

Go with your personal preference now in your prime spot and plant the other one in your second ranked spot.  I have a cousin that has some large trunking specimens, older than mine, in part shade in Vista that do just fine.  So even in part shade you should be ok.

• Like 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

To say robusta and prestoniana get big is almost an understatement. They get HUGE! I’m glad I planted them where I did, which wasn’t always the case with some other palms, because they need so much room. 

Tim

• Like 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

@Tracy do you have an updated pic of yours? I’ve seen most of the pics you’ve posted and have always thought you’re bigger prestoniana was a perfect specimen, my favorite of the 2.

I definitely get a little bit more sun than right on the coast. I always think of my climate as 70% coastal Carlsbad and 30% Vista. I’m usually about 3-4 degrees warmer than right at the beach but 6-9% cooler than Vista.

Thanks!

Dustin

On 4/30/2022 at 12:35 PM, Dusty CBAD said:

@Tracy do you have an updated pic of yours? I’ve seen most of the pics you’ve posted and have always thought you’re bigger prestoniana was a perfect specimen, my favorite of the 2.

Current photos of the bigger one (1 & 2) and the smaller (#3).

20220429-BH3I7418.jpg

20220502-BH3I7451.jpg

20220502-BH3I7450.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation