IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Uruguay and Standard Queens - Spring 2022

DAVEinMB

Here's how 4 queens look after freezing rain and 19F this past winter. All were covered for the event, no supplemental heat. 

Uruguay is the smallest, I had to cut back 2 of the 3 standard

20220428_123055.jpg

20220428_123101.jpg

20220428_123118.jpg

20220428_123159.jpg

20220428_123208.jpg

20220428_123306.jpg

20220428_123316.jpg

20220428_123345.jpg

20220428_123357.jpg

20220428_123410.jpg

20220428_123435.jpg

• Like 4

Those little ones are pristine!

• Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

5 minutes ago, Allen said:

Those little ones are pristine!

Yea it seems pretty happy, got a great color to it

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Yea it seems pretty happy, got a great color to it

Those are dope, Dave. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

Those are dope, Dave. 

Thanks brother, I sourced them from woodlanders :shaka-2:

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

Thanks brother, I sourced them from woodlanders :shaka-2:

Those little Uruguays took it like a champ, maybe something to the uruguay queen... like they say Location, location, LOCATION! Got 2 on the way from Woodlanders, will grow next to my Santa Catarina queens and Lotoralis queens to see if any of the hype is real. Now I just need couple regular queens for control/baseline test subjects. 

21 minutes ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Those little Uruguays took it like a champ, maybe something to the uruguay queen... like they say Location, location, LOCATION! Got 2 on the way from Woodlanders, will grow next to my Santa Catarina queens and Lotoralis queens to see if any of the hype is real. Now I just need couple regular queens for control/baseline test subjects. 

Those pics are of the better looking Uruguay, I have another planted that hasn't put on much growth so I'm not sure it likes its siting. It does have the same overall color tho following this winter

I'm excited to see how each of them look after this growing season

9 hours ago, DAVEinMB said:

@NWpalms@206 here is the runt of the 2 uruguay, also unbothered by the couple of dips to 19F. Maybe it'll settle in and show me some growth this year

20220428_123240.jpg

20220428_123248.jpg

The lizard in the first pic is mighty interested in your trashcan. Anyways, your seedlings look amazing! My small Queen in both the front and back look like the ones you cut, they have both gotten about the same amount of progress.

• Like 1

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

On 4/30/2022 at 1:04 AM, JLM said:

The lizard in the first pic is mighty interested in your trashcan. Anyways, your seedlings look amazing! My small Queen in both the front and back look like the ones you cut, they have both gotten about the same amount of progress.

I saw that anole out of the corner of my eye and made sure he was in the photo haha. Thanks man! I got high hopes for those little guys.

Here's an update on one of the standard queens I cut back; the spear i pulled from this guy was roughly 4 ft long. Wasn't sure if cutting it was the right move as it had a good bit of green on it but between how deep the hole was and the fact that it kept fizzing from peroxide over a week after the pull I figured I had no choice. 

Though she may be tattered, the queen lives to see another day

IMG_20220501_173100_935.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Welp, the runt Uruguay is prolly no more because this piece of shit crushed it with my garbage can. 

Screenshot_20220503-124457_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220503-124522_Gallery.jpg

• Like 2

a black bear? for real?

• Like 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

32 minutes ago, Xerarch said:

a black bear? for real?

There are actually quite a few in Myrtle Beach.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAVEinMB said:

Welp, the runt Uruguay is prolly no more because this piece of shit crushed it with my garbage can. 

Time for a new rug 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Xerarch said:

a black bear? for real?

Yea man, and they're getting more ballsy. I'm gonna have to figure out something to deter it. 

I got bears and coyotes that live behind my house. There's a fire station nearby and anytime the sirens go off the coyotes go nuts. I've never seen any coyotes in the neighborhood but the bears do venture in and cause issues. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NWpalms@206 said:

Time for a new rug 

That's what I was thinking this morning as I was lifting the garbage can off my Uruguay

6 hours ago, Xerarch said:

a black bear? for real?

I don't know why this is haha, but see below

Screenshot_20220503-203638_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

You made the tiki bar too attractive. That's clearly a party bear. 

• Like 2

Yes, in the midlands they’re considered transitory. Just passing through. Yet to see one around here. 

42 minutes ago, RJ said:

Yes, in the midlands they’re considered transitory. Just passing through. Yet to see one around here. 

Yea, I20 is bad enough without bears all over it :lol:

• Like 1

Received my Uruguay queens today. Bare root Put them into 1g. Well see how they do! Also got some sabal causiarum, excited for those to grow. 

33F5BDDE-A6A1-431B-8C40-F9BB9EDF7032.jpeg

4BCF2D4A-DA84-4048-8B76-8B15CBF6FEDD.jpeg

31BE42BC-34D0-449D-B770-76FD0DFE350A.jpeg

E3D73998-0521-470B-B253-6BD3C855A128.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 5/1/2022 at 5:52 PM, DAVEinMB said:

Here's an update on one of the standard queens I cut back; the spear i pulled from this guy was roughly 4 ft long. Wasn't sure if cutting it was the right move as it had a good bit of green on it but between how deep the hole was and the fact that it kept fizzing from peroxide over a week after the pull I figured I had no choice. 

Though she may be tattered, the queen lives to see another day

IMG_20220501_173100_935.jpg

Mid July update on this one

20220718_043643.jpg

20220718_043657.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

On 5/3/2022 at 12:02 PM, DAVEinMB said:

Still not as destructive as whitetail.

11 minutes ago, amh said:

Yea luckily I don't have deer visiting my property. Rabbits and squirrels will occasionally munch on the smaller plants but the neighborhood cats typically keep them at bay

• Like 1

1 hour ago, amh said:

i didnt think deer liked palms? we have blacktailed deer here but they have plenty of tender plants to eat havent bothered my palms.

1 hour ago, NWpalms@206 said:

i didnt think deer liked palms? we have blacktailed deer here but they have plenty of tender plants to eat havent bothered my palms.

Luckily, deer do not browse the cold hardy palms very often, but the bucks like to fight various shrubs, palms and cactus during the rut.

• 3 months later...

Here's an update on one of the standard queens that made it through the ice storm and 19F. Not sure why the picture quality is so bad but you get the idea

Getting ready to go into its third winter in the ground

Screenshot_20221105-170943_Gallery.jpg

Edited by DAVEinMB
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1