Sign in to follow this  
realarch

Dypsis hovomantsina

realarch

Out in the garden between incessant rain showers and noticed the bottom leaf sheath on this D. hovomantsina coming off. Finally trunking after ten or so years in the ground. It’s a monster and the color, especially on the leaf sheaths and emerging spears, are nice. It’s been growing in a shady spot which is probably why it’s been on the slow side. 

Tim

1B8618C2-48C8-42D2-BD31-58C28C06822C.jpeg

7C83697C-11DA-491B-8EEC-08797C6DD2D8.jpeg

0D8665E4-F73A-45C5-A7E8-EBB5FC7C644D.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 3

tinman10101

wow tim ... your post and your garden never disappoint! :D

Billeb

Mammoth! Love the Large Dypsis. :drool:

-dale

Tracy
3 hours ago, realarch said:

Tim

1B8618C2-48C8-42D2-BD31-58C28C06822C.jpeg

7C83697C-11DA-491B-8EEC-08797C6DD2D8.jpeg

0D8665E4-F73A-45C5-A7E8-EBB5FC7C644D.jpeg

Great color on this Tim. 

realarch

Thanks Tin, Dale,and Tracy. I had assumed that the newly exposed trunk would be orange similar to other large Dypsis in the garden rather than the pale yellow. I’ll tell ya, that leaf sheath was so frickin heavy and thick I had to use the sawzall to cut it up. I wonder what natural conditions prompt such thick impenetrable leaf sheaths. 

Tim

Billeb
16 minutes ago, realarch said:

Thanks Tin, Dale,and Tracy. I had assumed that the newly exposed trunk would be orange similar to other large Dypsis in the garden rather than the pale yellow. I’ll tell ya, that leaf sheath was so frickin heavy and thick I had to use the sawzall to cut it up. I wonder what natural conditions prompt such thick impenetrable leaf sheaths. 

Tim

Dypsis are so random. You never know what your going to get. That’s definitely part of the aura of the genus I can’t get enough of.  Again….super priveleged im able to grow some of the species in my zone close to the beach. Not nearly to the extend of the islands but still..

-dale

• Like 2