IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm tree in Louisville, KY

Alanin502

I'm assuming this is some sort of a Palm tree.  These are growing in the island on Central Ave beside Churchill Downs in Louisville, KY.  Any idea what these are?  Louisville is zone 6A.  They are not protected in any fashion during the winter months. 

Palm trees Louisville.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Manalto said:

Looks like Y. rostrata to this amateur's eye. Those in the know can confirm or refute.

100% Y. rostrata

..Agree w/ Jtee, very interesting ( and kind of cool ) to see these anywhere in KY.  Wondering where on earth did they source such big specimens out there.

Yucca rostrata as others mentioned. They grow wild in select 5b here(south slopes). Should be blooming May/June.

They survived -10f locally and even -34f in Moriarty, NM. 

At work, current pic

16510771686181787950980875775602.jpg

18 minutes ago, jwitt said:

Yucca rostrata as others mentioned. They grow wild in select 5b here(south slopes). Should be blooming May/June.

They survived -10f locally and even -34f in Moriarty, NM. 

At work, current pic

16510771686181787950980875775602.jpg

-34 is that right? That looks like some Alaskan tundra type temp

5 hours ago, Jtee said:

-34 is that right? That looks like some Alaskan tundra type temp

2/3/2011. Moriarty NM

Some yucca faxionia survived that also.  

My yucca fax is a -17f survivor from 1971.

Rostrata are cold hardy. I cannot speak to wet tho.

Those are really nice Yucca- surviving those kind of temps probably

would only happen out west,I had one of a similar size,I did cover it for winter

but the sides were open, it did not survive -10F to -20F temps that final winter.

Great looking tree yuccas. IMO that's the only exotic "tree" species hardy in exposed locations here. But I've always wondered whether a trachy in a courtyard (maybe with only Christmas lights) would be a long term survivor. Also, I believe after a decade or more in a southern exposure, a Sabal Louisiana or Birmingham would be showing trunk.

There were some tall windmills for a couple winters at a car dealership around a mall around 2000. Lasted a couple winters before they were gone. 

• Upvote 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)